A little bit of Buddy Guy

PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of Buddy Guy

tatorbits
02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Alright so I see all these threads about BB King, Eric Clapton, and the legendary SRV (who is freeking awesome.. just throwing that out there), but I dont see any Buddy Guy! Common, this is one oof the guys that inspired the Vaughan Brothers to play guitar in the first place :P

So, lets make this a Buddy Guy thread. Appreciate him for the great blues musician he really is :)

stuey22
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Buddy Guy is amazing!

GeekInThePink
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Great guitarist and singer! I only have one of his albums, but man, I love it!

tatorbits
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
yeah of course he is :P

But how does he get that crazy sustain? He can hold a note for like 5 bars straight. I've tried different ways but i cant quite get it to last as long as him

Carswell98
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
whats not to like, I mean, he's a great player/singer and he's got personality out the wazoo

I'm listening to his version of JH's Red House right now

actually the very fact that people called Hendrix "Buddy Guy on acid" was enough for me to buy some albums of his, and I loved them

ledhed68
02-12-2008, 12:54 AM
yeah of course he is :P

But how does he get that crazy sustain? He can hold a note for like 5 bars straight. I've tried different ways but i cant quite get it to last as long as him

5 bars? try a whole chorus maybe more, seriously he's insane. I've seen him 4 times so far, and its never been a bad show, every time as energetic if not more as the last time.

LSSF
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Here's Jimi watching buddy guy play live, its amazing. Buddy puts 100% all his soul & blues fire into his playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vldWAadDv4

A real entertainer. The Greatest.

gopherthegreat
02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
hes tremendous and a wonderful showman

dr_john
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's Jimi watching buddy guy play live, its amazing. Buddy puts 100% all his soul & blues fire into his playing.

buddy guy is normally brilliant, but i doubt that even he would agree that was a good performance. come on, it is painfully embarrassing. hendrix must have felt that
there was no competition at that particular gig.

gopherthegreat
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
buddy guy is normally brilliant, but i doubt that even he would agree that was a good performance. come on, it is painfully embarrassing. hendrix must have felt that
there was no competition at that particular gig.
thats what i was thinking, too......

LSSF
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
i dont know what the hell you two are talking about, buddy was feelin it, if you watch the video its obvious to see. The playing was just so random, thats what made it amazing. Damn and the Scat at the end, so great.

we must me on a whole different page then.

Dimebag22
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
i dont know what the hell you two are talking about, buddy was feelin it, if you watch the video its obvious to see. The playing was just so random, thats what made it amazing. Damn and the Scat at the end, so great.

we must me on a whole different page then.
To be honest, I thought it wasn't good, at all. It just felt like random notes. Sure, he was feeling it, but not half as much as he was feeling the LSD. It seemed like he didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Buddy Guy is usually great though!

urik
02-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Buddy Guy is the funkiest bluesman out there. I <3 him.

meh!
02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
I love Buddy's playing because he's always trying something. He's not the "best" guitarist around, but he's always messing around with his solos. It doesn't always work, but he pulls it off a fair amount and it's a joy when he does.

tatorbits
02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Originaly posted by meh!: I love Buddy's playing because he's always trying something. He's not the "best" guitarist around, but he's always messing around with his solos. It doesn't always work, but he pulls it off a fair amount and it's a joy when he does.

That's so true. But when he takes it seriously he just sounds great. He's golden fingers of feathers... if that makes sense lol well yeah hes great :p

tatorbits
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
he's got golden fingers of feathers***

TheDev01dOne
02-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Buddy guy is one of my favourites, don't talk about him much because everything's been said before in his amazingly long career I guess. So to not be too repetetive, he is always putting on a show, all that generation guys do it, but Buddy does it the best, always has a joke ready or some silly guitar trick or something, and he has one of the friendliest smiles in the world!

Another thing that I think is great about Buddy is that he's always playing with young people, not the same old band forever, always getting new talent to play in his band or even share bills etc. His way of helping keep the blues alive I guess.

Anyway check this video from 1965 I put up on youtube, he looks exactly the same as when he plays now, just loving every second of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5aytjUdgg

Love his dancing and his funny smile, he rules. I would LOVE to meet him and just chill for like an hour and jam.

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 06:59 AM
^ dude, that is a great video, I love how much he shows he loves what he's doing, it's makes him all the better

do you know whats weird, I can really see where Hendrix got a lot of his stuff, just from quick video like that

dr_john
02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
I love Buddy's playing because he's always trying something. He's not the "best" guitarist around, but he's always messing around with his solos. It doesn't always work, but he pulls it off a fair amount and it's a joy when he does.

true, i saw him about 5 years ago and he messed around and played 'jokey' runs in his solos. it got a bit much imo. i have been a buddy guy fan for many years and i was slightly disappointed to be honest.

still, i did manage to catch a pick as he was throwing them around at the end of the concert which i still have.

ze monsta
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I never really liked him, great voice, but I don't like his guitar playing too much.

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 08:27 AM
I never really liked him, great voice, but I don't like his guitar playing too much.

I can see why you'd say that, he plays some er...weird solos :p:

urik
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM

Here you have them talking about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPgTo-vAAM&feature=related

Jimmy94
02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I saw him around a half year ago... he must've had an off night because he wasn't playing very well, none of that fire that great musicians grab you with.

aetherspear
02-15-2008, 04:56 PM
You guys with **** your pants when you see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7BOYvX8ug

Buddy guy, the great rahsaan roland kirk, Jack Bruce, and a killer organ solo. Buddy hits some sweet notes in this.

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
That is one tasty jam man, Buddy played a couple really weird chromatic almost jazzy licks in that intro, the guy really was a great guitar player

edit - damn that was a cool organ solo :p:

Blake99
02-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Buddy Guy is one of my biggest influences as well
he always had a great sound and a good stage presence
his over alls rocked!