Opinions And Advice On My New Band

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions And Advice On My New Band

SG-Jack
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi, as the title suggests, I'm forming a new band which will consist of the following

(the band name is still TBC)

*Me - Rhythm Guitar/Vocals/Trumpet
*Alex - Lead Guitar
Josh - Bass
Connell - Drums And Percussion
-
Louis - Sessions Keyboard

* = definatly in the band, 9/10 sure that the others will, as they don't have a band.

what are we like? -

Me - Played guitar 2 years (doing grade 3), trumpet 6 years (doing grade 6), an OK singer, about 9 months experiance of playing in a band plus small live performances, nothing special. Plus grade 5 music theory.

Alex - Played guitar about 3 years, proabably a grade 5 standard. Also plays Trombone, and very good at it, probably a grade 7. Band experiance, although no live performance.

Josh - Taking up bass, experianced guitar player, live shows and band experiance.

Connell - Good drummer, tight and imaginative beats.

Not sure about louis yet. although a very good keyboard, bass and trombone player. will be considered for bass if Josh doesnt join.

Sessions meaning - he isnt in the band full time, just the odd tickle of the ivories here and there in the music.

THE PLAN
------------

I plan to get started this coming half term (starts next monday for us foo's), I'm not 100% sure on the practice space as yet.

As far as music goes, heres what i want to do:-

Losing My Religion - R.E.M
Superman OR Vegas Two Times OR Doorman OR Deadhead OR Madame Helga - Stereophonics
It's Not Okay OR 40 Days And 40 Nights - The Enemy
Time Is Running Out - Muse
-I plan to make these 'our own', meaning, our own take on the song.

A 7-12 song album (will probably include some of those covers)
A 5 song concept EP*

*I'm currently thinking of a story line to base this on, it will be written by the whole band, could range from 5 - 25 songs, you never know with concept Ep/albums, although I'd rather have it as an EP.

I'd like to start gigging by September, depending on how things go.
I'm not rushing into gigs, as theres NOTHING worse than an under rehersed band, i'd rather be musically boring than under rehersed. (thats an opinion)

At the minute, my inspiration is not listening to the music i always listen to, i.e Muse, Stereophonics. Instead, I'm listening to bands like R.E.M, for inspiration. I walk my dog once, sometimes twice a day, instead of the same songs blasting out of my MP3 player, i don't listen to music and have a pen and paper in my back pocket incase i think of anything worth while.

I'd like to know what the lovely people on UG think, advice, critism and pointing in the right direction is more than welcome.

cheers

Jack>

rage6945
02-12-2008, 02:57 PM
when my band first came together, i was hanging out with two friends, this kid came over and he's like "hey my band just broke up, you guys wanna start one?"
we were like yea sure, my friend played a bass line, we started jamming on it, we realized we kick ass, aaaaaand fastforward like a year later we got loads of material written, a singer working on lyrics and a few shows under our belts.
everything that you planned out seems kinda pointless haha

SG-Jack
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
i didnt spend all that time writing out that post for 1 reply, please, anything will do.

:)

rage6945
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
well i think my reply pretty much covered it.
dude your waaaaay ahead of yourself. none of that plan is gonna get carried through, theres no way in a million years that a bunch of 14 years olds are gonna write a legitimate 25 song concept album, and if you'd rather be musically boring no one will book you for gigs by september.
what i suggest is get together with these guys and jam, write some music, you could be gigging next month, or maybe not for another two years, the best way to do it is to just take it day by day.

SG-Jack
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
i completely understand what you say.

by the way, we're all 15/16

and who knows about the concept album? my friend wrote a musical! And its pretty good.

i have the scaffolding for about 3 songs, meaning basic chord progressions.

lyrics havent come by yet, i wrote a song last month but it isnt very good.

but yeah, thanks for the reply, appreciated.

SG-Jack
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
news:
Josh and Connell have officially joined :)

Avedas
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I'd suggest toning down the conceptual ideas. They're not good for starting off, and only bands like Ayreon and Rhapsody can pull off an extremely long concept anyways.

axemanchris
02-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Careful about the idea of putting covers on an album that you're going to distribute. Licencing costs about 7-8 cents per manufactured copy, so if you do five covers, then you're looking at about 40 cents per copy going towards permission to use the songs. Not a ton of money, but something to consider.

CT

SG-Jack
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
conceptual ideas are long term :)

i have to pay to put cover song(s) on an EP that will be completly self produced?

and will only be sold for a quid or 2.

Zycho
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Have you discussed this with the band members? You seem to be planning really far ahead, hopefully you've talked to them.

Also, don't bother recording covers. Too much legal hassle.

axemanchris
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
conceptual ideas are long term :)

i have to pay to put cover song(s) on an EP that will be completly self produced?

and will only be sold for a quid or 2.

Yes. If you use someone else's song and distribute it to other people - even if you are giving it away - you have to pay for the rights to use it. The usual going rate is about 7-8 cents per copy manufactured. Note - not per copy sold. Manufactured.

Being in the UK, I'm not sure who your publishing and licencing organization is. In Canada, it is the CMRRA, and in the US, a big one is Harry Fox agency. Surely someone else on here will know who the UK one is.

CT

SG-Jack
02-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Have you discussed this with the band members? You seem to be planning really far ahead, hopefully you've talked to them.

Also, don't bother recording covers. Too much legal hassle.

thanks for your reply.

yes, i have discussed the vast majority of what i've said on here with the other members

and i honestly dont see why we'd have to pay to record covers, as we're technically promoting the band of who ever wrote it, if i hear a cover, i wanna hear the original!

anyway, we've booked a local village hall and we're having a 2 hour practice this coming saturday.

mh.666
02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
You have to pay as it is another bands music and they deserve to be payed for their music. You pay for the permission to make a profit off of THEIR music. It really isn't that hard to understand.

SG-Jack
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
i understand

i was just being open minded o.0

Zycho
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
i understand

Well it doesn't really matter what you think, that's the way it is.

mh.666
02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Well it doesn't really matter what you think, that's the way it is.

I concur, good sir.

Gargan
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
i understand

Imagine if someone took your material, sold it on, and didnt give you any credit for it. I'd be cracking heads.

SG-Jack
02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
point, you win ;)

anything else?

feel more than free

we have a practice tomorrow.