bassist problem

PDA

View Full Version : bassist problem

willstrats44
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
i am in a prog metal band that is along the lines of tool all of our members are pretty talented. but any the bassist in the band is a great bassist and always says how much he loves the music that we play and stuff but he has ego issues. his first problem is just sometimes being plain selfish i.e: "since there is a guitar solo it is retarted that i dont have a bass solo" he always want the same number of solos for each instrument in a gven song or no solos at all. he also WILL NOT look at bass for its intended use which is making the BAND sound good and im all for doing things differently but. he thinks everything should be equal always. he is a fantastic player but will never admit a mistake on the outro of "lateralus" he was off timing during one practice and we had to spend an hour convincing him he was off. we all in the band are at the same level of playing. but he always needs to write things that are technical and fast and if we tell him everything doesnt need to be that way he feaks out. also if he is extending a riff by imrpoving it and we tell him it doesnt sound good and then he starts yelling that the normal riff is boring and "why should i not be allowed to do that he gets a guitar solo" or he will say " o then take out that harmonic and i will take out this" even if everyone think my harmonic sounds good he will say that to get back at me. he also will do this thing were if i show him a riff and he really likes it so we put it in a song and then like 2 days later he will show me a riff and a lot of the times i will like it but if i dont he will say "then take out your riff that you put in" even when he said he liked it prior to that. SORRY for the long post but i needed to blow steam off but we have tried to all talk to him but he doesnt listen he is a fantastic player though and we dont want to lose him any suggestions?

Punks|Not|Dead
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Threaten to find a new bass player if he keeps this **** up.

willstrats44
02-12-2008, 05:35 PM
the problem with that is that he knows that he is the only bass player in town that can play the way we do and understands our weird time signitures.

manderson
02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I would kick him out and get another bass player even if they don't understand your style of playing. As long as the new bassist is a decent musician and is willing to learn a new style, things will work out. It will take some time to get the band back to the level you at now but remember that your losing time always having to argue and deal with your current bassist's ego.

Also if that wont work try this simple equation;
Hard inanimate object (Baseball bat, PVC pipe, ect.) + The back of his head = Him respecting your authority.

lazlow325i
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
kick his ass out.

willstrats44
02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
hahaha i dont know if i coulkd hit him he is 5 foot 4 and benches 270 pounds hes pretty built lol

v8ko
02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Sit down have a band meeting and let each member understand that not one member can regulate whats to devolop in each song and that everyone should work together to.............................ah HEll man GET RID OF HIM HE IS AN AS* It sucks to fire somone in a band but you will all start liking practice more, musically youll start grooving without consequences...it'll be great :)

AwesomeDrummer
02-14-2008, 03:00 AM
tell him to move the **** away

skater dan0
02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
he's got a serious inferiority complex that needs sorting out and until it is he isn't fit to be in a band

fire his ass

maniac111
02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Seriously, you'll be a lot more productive if you don't have to put up with his **** all the time. Just kick him out and find somebody mentally stable.

Symmetry4321
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Kick him out if he continues this high and might bull****

Firstly even though he is talented he is not above mistakes so he needs to get over it and deal with. Secondly you should not have gone on for so long trying to convinvce him he was out cause thats an hour of band practise gone.

Souls United
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Tell him to deal with it.... if he quits... than he's an arrogant bitch....

Seriously... most bands you can barely hear the bass and they rarely solo

Bullet-Rule
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Have a talk with him, tell him about his ego and the way he's messing you around. Tell him that the bassist should play what's right for the band, not what's right for himself. There's nothing wrong with some cool fills, but I think a bassist should know his role of filling the pocket and adding some extra, not having as many bass solos as guitar.

If he can't accept that he's wrong then kick him out.