bar setlist

PDA

View Full Version : bar setlist

red.guitar
02-12-2008, 06:31 PM
hey me and my band just played our first show and we liked the feeling of being onstage so we were thinking of learning some songs and start gigging at the local bars. so far we know
1. rocking in the free world
2. knocking on heavens door
3. cocaine
4. voodoo child
5. layla
6. let it ride
and we got a few originals. our drummer said that in his last band when they would play clubs they would usyally play 3 sets, each of about an hour. so I was wondering what songs you would suggest playing at a bar with the age group ranging from 20 years old up to about 50-60?

v8ko
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Man thats a heckuva question lol.

IF I were you guys I would get all the band members to think about then write down songs that they know and can be played with the band. That right there might give you a couple hours...and remember toss in some easy songs so you can take some mental breaks while playing.

Ive only ever played one bar gig but it was fun and it seemed like the cheesiest songs did the best. People want to hear stuff like "what I like about you" and twisted sister and so on lol. Its whatever will get the majority up on there feet and dancing.

Cool thing is you dont even have to worry about originals.

freshtunes
02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Too play bars you need a setlist of at least 20+ songs, and have to be 18+ years old.

steven seagull
02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
One word...

Freebird.

okay, I suppose technically that's two words stuck together, but still.

red.guitar
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
haha yea. one of the bar owners is my friends mom and she said just as long as we get our parents permission we can play and my moms friend owns another bar and he said that we could play there anytime we want so theres no problem there. I know that we're all going to have to sit down and come up with the set together but I was just hoping to get a general idea of what we should play.

Thanks.

axemanchris
02-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Consider this - even though your possible age range is legal drinking age up to 100 years old, most people over 30, and nearly all of us over 35 aren't in bars checking out cover bands any more. We're home with our kids and playing Wii and surfing the net on a Friday night. Woo-hoo. hahaha

If you can appeal to the 20-somethings, you're in like Flint. So, generally you're looking at songs from the '90's and newer. Sure, some classic rock stuff still goes over well, but Arctic Monkeys and Paralyzer by Finger Eleven, and some Green Day will typically go over WAY better than the songs you have listed.

Really try to be careful to avoid the "holy crap, not another band doing that song.... again....." syndrome. People *don't* want to hear Knockin on Heaven's Door, Roadhouse Blues, and Cocaine. Not anymore. They're bloody sick of it, and most of your audience will still associate that stuff with "oh, yeah, my dad listens to that."

Here is a suggestion too.... suck it up, swallow your pride, and go to a dance club. Research purposes only. haha Go to one that plays a mix of dance, hip-hop and rock. Take note of what rock songs make all the kiddies in the house go 'yeah' and jump around. :p:

CT

icronic
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Consider this - even though your possible age range is legal drinking age up to 100 years old, most people over 30, and nearly all of us over 35 aren't in bars checking out cover bands any more. We're home with our kids and playing Wii and surfing the net on a Friday night. Woo-hoo. hahaha

If you can appeal to the 20-somethings, you're in like Flint. So, generally you're looking at songs from the '90's and newer. Sure, some classic rock stuff still goes over well, but Arctic Monkeys and Paralyzer by Finger Eleven, and some Green Day will typically go over WAY better than the songs you have listed.

Really try to be careful to avoid the "holy crap, not another band doing that song.... again....." syndrome. People *don't* want to hear Knockin on Heaven's Door, Roadhouse Blues, and Cocaine. Not anymore. They're bloody sick of it, and most of your audience will still associate that stuff with "oh, yeah, my dad listens to that."

Here is a suggestion too.... suck it up, swallow your pride, and go to a dance club. Research purposes only. haha Go to one that plays a mix of dance, hip-hop and rock. Take note of what rock songs make all the kiddies in the house go 'yeah' and jump around. :p:

CT

You're partly right and you're partly wrong. But it really depends on the venue you're playing and what the audience in that particular place wants. There are places I've played at that want to dance to the songs they know, and there are other places that just want to hear originals. You've got to cater to the location.

There's a place my band plays at frequently that wants all their favourite blues/classic rock stuff, and there's generally 200 people up on the dance floor at any given moment, we play originals, and they just kind of stare all blanked eyed, wondering when we're going to play Roadhouse blues.

Here's the thing though. Find the songs that people love, but other bands don't often play. Any Doobie Brothers songs go over great, and not that many acts do them. Beatles, ZZ Top, everyone loves CCR and so forth, I think we've got a list of roughly 80 songs now, we play about half of them each gig, and you can tailor them to the direction of the audience.

For the love of god though, don't play Cocaine. It's boring, really boring excruciatingly boring. You want songs that will get people dancing. Seperate the 12 bar blues stuff by songs with real content, people love the standard blues stuff, but more than 2 songs in a row that stick with your generic 1-4-5 shuffle will bore them to death.

Last thing, you really want to stand out play the songs differently then they were originally written a different tempo, a slight swing, using crunch or a tasteful amount of distortion in a song that would otherwise be kind of slow to mid paced and clean can really go over great. Although you've got to be careful with that because you also stand the chance of brutalizing the song.

axemanchris
02-13-2008, 12:10 AM
But it really depends on the venue you're playing and what the audience in that particular place wants.

Agreed entirely. My point was really a generalization and not intended to be specific to all audiences.

CT

red.guitar
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks a lot guys. I bring up you ideas with the rest of the guys when we going jamming the weekend. it's greatly appreciated!

red.guitar
02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey heres a few songs me and my buddy came up with. What do you think?
1. Rocking in the free world - Neil Young
2 Let it ride - BTO
3.Voodoo child - Hendrix
4.Layla - Clapton
5. I want you to want me - Cheap Trick
6. China grove - Doobie Brothers
7. Surrender - Cheap Trick
8. Hurts so good - John Mellencamp
9. Mississippi queen - Mountain
10. Meet me in the morning - Bob Dylan
11. All along the watchtower - Bob Dylan
12. Foxy lady - Hendrix
13. Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
14.Come Together - The Beatles
15. Should I stay or should I go - The Clash
16. Pinball Wizard - The Who
17. Shook me all night long - AC/DC
18. Strutter - Kiss
19. Listen to the music - The Doobie Brothers
20. Just what I needed - The Cars
21.You aint seen nothing yet. - BTO
22. Susie Q - CCR
23. With a little help from my friends. - The Beatles
24.Gimme All your lovin - ZZ Top

axemanchris
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
As much as I think a couple of them are still way overplayed, I would personally stick around for that set list.

But I would leave at the end of the night thinking "I would have liked them to play some newer stuff. Practically everything was 25 years old or more." And that's coming from a 37 year old.

CT

dmiwshicldply
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
i personally know that around lousiana (which is the only place i have any experience what so ever in bars) that set list would go over great thats the kinda stuff we'd like to listen to, the type of people that go to the bars any way...i would stay and i would enjoy myself while i was there

Dutch_Apples
02-14-2008, 01:06 AM
The 3 one hour sets thing is pretty typical. Here are the songs I KNOW can entertain a crowd regardless of the age group:

1. Don't Stop Believing
2. Sweet Caroline
3. Margarittaville
4. Brown Eyed Girl
5. Anything from an 80's pop band
6. Roadhouse Blues
7. Anything by a 90's one hit wonder
8. Sweet Home Alambamie

Those are songs EVERY cover band I have worked with has done. Sure they will get old, but seriously... people love them and they are called standards for a reason. Even if you don't play some of those songs every night, I guarentee someone in the audience will request them.

red.guitar
02-14-2008, 08:24 PM
thanks a lot guys.

JLT73
02-17-2008, 01:36 PM
zero - smashing pumpkins
bound for the floor - local H
again - alice in chains
slither - velvet revolver
unglued - stone temple pilots
my own worst enemy - lit
bulls on parade - rage against the machine
crazy train - ozzy
war pigs - black sabbath
walk this way - aerosmith

axemanchris
02-17-2008, 06:51 PM
zero - smashing pumpkins
bound for the floor - local H
again - alice in chains
slither - velvet revolver
unglued - stone temple pilots
my own worst enemy - lit
bulls on parade - rage against the machine
crazy train - ozzy
war pigs - black sabbath
walk this way - aerosmith

Now THAT would be a kick-ass setlist! I would, even as one of the 'old folks,' stick around for the entire set for sure. You know.... so long as you were doing them decent enough.

CT