What to Do?

PDA

View Full Version : What to Do?

yogurt_overdose
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey, I've got a bit of a dilemma.

My band are playing quite a few gigs (A few each month or so) and I can foresee us improving on that soon, especially over Summer.
The problem is our other guitarist is going traveling around Europe for around 3 months starting in May, effectively missing out most of Summer.

Would we be dicks for getting someone in as a stand in guitarist for the 3 months he's away?
As we'll be getting more and more gigs coming up to then and then people will probably have forgotten us by the time he gets back.

What do you guys think?

:cheers:

FrosteeFresh
02-12-2008, 08:26 PM
yeah man i think it would ok to get a guy for while he's gone, then let him have his spot back when he gets back, i think the problem would be once the old guitarist gets back, the new guitarist will want to stay in the band.

White Devil
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I dont think it'd be a bad thing to do, I had pretty much the same problem about a year ago and everything worked out alright. As long as your missing gitarist is OK with it, I dont see a problem

fagelamusgtr
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah man i think it would ok to get a guy for while he's gone, then let him have his spot back when he gets back, i think the problem would be once the old guitarist gets back, the new guitarist will want to stay in the band.

+1. I completely agree. You just need to let the other guitarist understand that his spot is safe. If the other guitarist does a good job, i might even let him stay in too.

The Magickan
02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Ask your guitar player if he's ok with you getting another guy to play with you while he's away.

If he is, then go ahead and get that new guitarist, but make sure that if you want your original guitar player back that you make it clear to the new guy that he's only temporary. (Unless the new guitarist happens to be better than the old one... I had that happen in my band.) It'll probably take him or her a while to learn your matierial, so that'll give your band time to write some new stuff and just have fun doing some relaxed jamming.

24fRETSoFfURY
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right. You just have to make sure the new guy understands itís just temporary. Even then he might want to stay.

yogurt_overdose
02-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure he'd be ok with it

Only problem we'd have is that he plays slide guitar, and I don't know anyone else who plays slide; I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to find someone we don't already know who would be willing to only be in the band for 3 months.

Just thinking about it, we might be able to manage without him; if I were to play slide on the songs that need it and our banjo/singer were to play my guitar parts we might be able to manage without him