Why Do You Like Blues So Much?

PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Like Blues So Much?

tatorbits
02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Okay so im 15 years old. I go to school, and everyone is into all that emo music and metal and stuff like that. I walk up and say, "I'm into blues." What do I get? A whole bunch of funny looks and one question: "Why?"

I simply just love the guitar. The guitar is smooth, and tells a story on its own. Any good bluesman can just talk to you with the guitar. That's probably what i like the most.

So! Why is blues so great? Tell me your reasons! I'm curious to know how this great music affects other people.

fender351
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
cause its so expressive and easy to listen to

Dazed/Confused
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
great emotion and expression

nath1142
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
dude dont worry i'm 15 too and everyone listen to emo music too. don't worry about i lke blues too. i love the way is sounds on my guitar and it's not just powerchord after powerchord

chrisp_5
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
its good drinking music, easy to play, even easier to listen to like stated above

and its just the ****.......

FMNStratGuy
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Theres so much you can do with the blues with improv and just jamming. What can you really do in a fast paced punk song for improv? Not much. The blues has more feeling and you can feel the crowd out more. Just my opinion.

nt1440
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
i like it because no matter what i do, everything i play sounds bluesy

its like a curse, but a good sounding one

riffmasterjosh
i love the way it sounds and how expressive it is.

rocknskate4
im sick of emo, honestly its so played out

real rock, blues, and jazz in my opinions are the best types of music for furthering skills on guitar

GeekInThePink
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
It's definitely one of my favorite genres. I love how much soul is in the music, especially in the vocals and the guitar playing. Simple as that. The genre's also got quite an interesting history.

tatorbits
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
dude dont worry i'm 15 too and everyone listen to emo music too. don't worry about i lke blues too. i love the way is sounds on my guitar and it's not just powerchord after powerchord

lol yeah i love blues to the max. thats all i play. i dont care what the hell everyone else says.. i just wanna know what everyone else likes about it lol

Thefallofman
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
When a good bluesman plays something, they don't just say it- they make you BELIEVE it. There is so much feeling in the notes and in the words. No matter what mood I'm in, I can grab my Strat and just lose myself in the blues. They make me feel better, or if I'm in a good mood, they make me even happier.

I also think the blues are a better American 20th century history book than the crap they feed you at school. Those scratchy old delta records take you to that hot, grim plantation and make you feel what they were going through back then better than a paragraph written by some scholar from New York ever could.

Dimebag22
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I listen to blues because unlike any other genre of music, the guitar speaks to me, it gets inside me, I can feel the expression deep down in my heart, it cleanses my mind and soul. The lyrics are meaningful, it comes from experiences that I can usually relate to. It also just comes naturally to be to play the blues, I feel happier when I play the blues.

urik
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Epic guitar playing.
Not many genres can use the guitar to tell so much. I love Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and more shred stuf like Yngwie Malmsteen and Shawn Lane. But they can't play with as much emotion as most bluesmen. And if they can, their style don't allow them.

Also, all my improvisations sound like blues.
It sounds great.
Most rock and metal is based on blues.
Also, how can you not love this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuXXCj6Zx4Y

opivy21
02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
I think everyone's already said, but I enjoy the blues because it's so expressive. That, and practically anyone can play.

gopherthegreat
02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
im sick of hearing how anyone can play blues. it takes quite a bit of practice to perfect your phrasing and if you play delta, it takes great songwriting.

Blurry 505
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
yes, perfection is not what you strive for by playing the right notes at the right time. It's expressing your emotion through the music to relay a message or a feeling.

and to perfect delta blues.. i dont know anyone new (last 20 years) to do it. to me you cant perfect delta unless you grew up in the delta. people can all get their styles, but i believe delta is something your born with. you cant learn it as well as the legends

imgooley
02-13-2008, 11:52 PM
All music is the blues. When i listen to hip hop i hear the blues. When i listen to metal, I hear the blues. So I listen to blues to inundate myself with my culture and reinforce my philosophy in music. The blues may be easy to play but it's hard to play with feeling.

That and it's more sexual than any other form. The only style that i can think of where you can attack your instrument in one stroke and then caress it in the next.

It's also great drinkin music.

Vagabond21
02-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Guitar aside...I love the blues because I gots da blues. (a lot)
Plus it is pure emotion, from delta blues to juke joint blues.
Also, old country black men are awesome.

urik
02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
im sick of hearing how anyone can play blues. it takes quite a bit of practice to perfect your phrasing and if you play delta, it takes great songwriting.

Yeah. People tell you that you just have to "feel the music".
Well, you can feel the music as much as you want. But if you don't know how to translate it into your guitar, how can you play it?
Also, a greater knowledge of scales will open your phrasing skills and diversity.
And to express the emotion with that vibrato, you have to practice the vibrato.
I just hate when people ask on advice on improvising and people say "just feel the music".

BigDoug
02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
yes, perfection is not what you strive for by playing the right notes at the right time. It's expressing your emotion through the music to relay a message or a feeling.

and to perfect delta blues.. i dont know anyone new (last 20 years) to do it. to me you cant perfect delta unless you grew up in the delta. people can all get their styles, but i believe delta is something your born with. you cant learn it as well as the legends

Agreed. I can play delta blues, but it almost comes across as an afterthought, as if the blues gods don't quite allow my fingers to do exactly what my brain is telling them to do

oopich
02-14-2008, 01:54 AM
I love Blues because it's so raw and honest, there's so much emotion in the music.

wasp2020
02-14-2008, 02:26 AM
I just hate when people ask on advice on improvising and people say "just feel the music".

XD Oh lord, I hate that too.

Carswell98
02-14-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm into blues for the same reasons I like Folk or Rock

because they are beautiful, expressive, and soulful

isn't that the truth, it took months to get my vibrato right, and I can't even write a cohesive song :haha:

it takes as much hard work as any other genre

blackdenim
02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
When a good bluesman plays something, they don't just say it- they make you BELIEVE it. There is so much feeling in the notes and in the words. No matter what mood I'm in, I can grab my Strat and just lose myself in the blues. They make me feel better, or if I'm in a good mood, they make me even happier.

I also think the blues are a better American 20th century history book than the crap they feed you at school. Those scratchy old delta records take you to that hot, grim plantation and make you feel what they were going through back then better than a paragraph written by some scholar from New York ever could.

WOW.
One of the best posts ive read. Well said.

sre9981
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree with all the points in this thread

and as a plus, the fact that at least 70-80% of the old blues men had a penchant for corn whiskey and women in great excess makes life awesome.

Sly Taco
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
The music speaks to me. I feel the pain of the blues.

TheDev01dOne
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Everything above I pretty much agree with but one great thing I love about blues is basically the whole blues 'community' as a whole..

Example: Go read people in the metal or punk or whatever forums bitching about who is the br00talz and who is selling out and who they hate and who has the toughest looking tattoos or who has the worst production qualitys (UGH black metal!)

Then come in here and read any thread you like.. There's hardly ANY arguments unless someone was deliberately trying to start one, we might debate things sometimes but in the end we're all pretty civil and open-minded..

That goes for pretty much the whole global blues community IMO. Everyone jut gets it, you see gigs with 15year olds through to 70year olds, all enjoying the same music and there for the same reason! Blues really brings people together and puts everyone on a level playing-field as far as the bands/musicians are concerned.

ALSO

HISTORY!.. There's soooo much stuff to look back into with blues, you'll never run out of new stuff to listen to and research and stuff.

Dimebag22
02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
^ Yeah dude, really the only reason there are arguments here is if there is some narrow-minded fool that comes in here and trys to start a 'My genre is better than Blues' argument :haha

It's good to have the odd disagreement because it opens our minds and we have meaningful discussions not a bunch of people flaming eachother for their opinion.

Carswell98
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
^ dude, It's 10:30

shouldn't you be in school? lol

and TheDev01dOne, that was an excellent answer

urik
02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Everything above I pretty much agree with but one great thing I love about blues is basically the whole blues 'community' as a whole..

Example: Go read people in the metal or punk or whatever forums bitching about who is the br00talz and who is selling out and who they hate and who has the toughest looking tattoos or who has the worst production qualitys (UGH black metal!)

Then come in here and read any thread you like.. There's hardly ANY arguments unless someone was deliberately trying to start one, we might debate things sometimes but in the end we're all pretty civil and open-minded..

That goes for pretty much the whole global blues community IMO. Everyone jut gets it, you see gigs with 15year olds through to 70year olds, all enjoying the same music and there for the same reason! Blues really brings people together and puts everyone on a level playing-field as far as the bands/musicians are concerned.

ALSO

HISTORY!.. There's soooo much stuff to look back into with blues, you'll never run out of new stuff to listen to and research and stuff.

Well but there's a reason for that.
The blues isn't as a genre as wide as metal is.
Of course, there's a huge difference between delta blues and modern blues.
But besides that, most of the blues genres aren't THAT different.
But in metal, the genres are SO different from each other, that it's impossible not to have arguments.
Example, listen to "Sonata Arctica - Full Moon", then to "Iron Maiden - Ghost Of The Navigator", and then to "Cannibal Corpse - Fucked With A Knife".
You will see how different they are.
They should be separate genres instead of subgenres of the same tree.

Besides that, there's the fact that most of the blues community is made of more adults than the metal community.

And also the fact that everyone that listens to blues, do it for the music because there's no "blues scene", and in the places that there is, it's very small, and it's not cool to listen to blues.
However, in the metal community, you will find a lot of posers that listen to metal because their friends listen to it, and to be more cool. Usually, they are the ones flamming and speaking nonsense.

Kinda like soccer and non popular sports.
In the Soccer community you will find a lot of people fighting, cursing each other, and being rude.
In the Squash community, you will find, well the blues community but talking about sports in a quiet palce :haha.

Dimebag22
02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
^ dude, It's 10:30

shouldn't you be in school? lol

and TheDev01dOne, that was an excellent answer
:haha I was in school :D Computer class FTW.

tatorbits
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TheDev01dOne

ALSO

I completely agree. It's so true. Everytime you see all the blues giants playing together, its not like a faceoff of any sort; they all respect each other's different styles and simply play along. Its beautiful to see. I mean I have the Tribute Concert to SRV on DVD, and you watch them play and they're just having a good time. It's just good to see. I find that a lot of different music genres lack that kind of respect for different sounds and tend to be a little narrow minded.

bradulator
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
It's fun to play.

ze monsta
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
It's meaningful to me, but then again Floyd is meaningful to me as well.
I just enjoy it, I can't really put a reason on it, it just is.

Pastorius666
02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
i'm 15 and i love the blues as well. and naturally the emos and punk listeners and metalheads curse me out (though i love metal as well.) It's just so expressive, the guitar is so smooth, so beautiful. It is fun to play as well. I cant really put a reason on it.

Jimmy94
02-15-2008, 01:46 PM
im sick of emo, honestly its so played out

real rock, blues, and jazz in my opinions are the best types of music for furthering skills on guitar

maybe jazz, but not so much rock and blues.

I'd say classical and jazz are the best for furthering technique.

Jimmy94
02-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Well but there's a reason for that.
The blues isn't as a genre as wide as metal is.
Of course, there's a huge difference between delta blues and modern blues.
But besides that, most of the blues genres aren't THAT different.
But in metal, the genres are SO different from each other, that it's impossible not to have arguments.
Example, listen to "Sonata Arctica - Full Moon", then to "Iron Maiden - Ghost Of The Navigator", and then to "Cannibal Corpse - Fucked With A Knife".
You will see how different they are.
They should be separate genres instead of subgenres of the same tree.

to this I respond: listen to mississippi john hurt - candy man, then jimi hendrix - voodoo chile, then george gershwin - rhapsody in blue and finally some bessie smith.

piano boogie woogie, jump blues, delta blues, chicago blues, skiffle, piedmont blues, folk blues, country blues, john lee hooker boogie woogie :p: , memphis blues, swamp blues, kansas blues, texas blues, new orleans blues, blues-jazz (or blazz)

I could keep going. saying metal is a wider genre than blues is ridiculous.

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
^nice, it's really unfair to say that, I could link you guys to a lot of folk blues songs you'd recognize the lyrics but the instrumentation, and singing are totally different

it's a broad genre, just we focus on a small cross-section in this forum really

*Puts on "Rock Me Baby" by Davy Graham*

imgooley
02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
^That's another thing that i like about blues. It's so diverse, yet it is not divisive. You can see a person talk about a thelonius monk and a john lee hooker in the same breath and not get a billion flaming post saying "Monk doesn't play blues, he's bebop" or something else in noob speech (i have a general inability to write noob speech)

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
^ :haha me too, I'm glad though

proper English is dying on the "internets" ;)

urik
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
to this I respond: listen to mississippi john hurt - candy man, then jimi hendrix - voodoo chile, then george gershwin - rhapsody in blue and finally some bessie smith.

piano boogie woogie, jump blues, delta blues, chicago blues, skiffle, piedmont blues, folk blues, country blues, john lee hooker boogie woogie :p: , memphis blues, swamp blues, kansas blues, texas blues, new orleans blues, blues-jazz (or blazz)

I could keep going. saying metal is a wider genre than blues is ridiculous.

I seriously doubt that.
There may be as much sub genres. But the difference between each sub genre isn't as big as in metal. That's what I meant.

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't really know about that

really urik, take the time, listen to those 3 songs and tell me how similar they sound?

edit here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yiyc9Ak3EtQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXNfbnMFoGE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E45y_PHrKQ8 < there is Davy grahams version of Rock Me baby like I was talking about earlier, great folk blues

imgooley
02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't really know about that

really urik, take the time, listen to those 3 songs and tell me how similar they sound?

edit here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yiyc9Ak3EtQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXNfbnMFoGE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E45y_PHrKQ8 < there is Davy grahams version of Rock Me baby like I was talking about earlier, great folk blues

Dude that was actually kinda trippy. Like the third one and then the first one. That is as different as night and day. I was thinking something like Comparing Duke Ellington to Son House, but that was..... words fail to describe the awe that i felt watching two complete and utter extremities of the same genre.

And to urik, Do you listen to some sludge and southern metal? Like DOWN's Eyes of the South? That song is so clearly blues, and at the same time metal. And it's not taboo to say so (like saying that Lamb of God is metal in the metal forum). And compare that song to say, Stormy Blues by Billie Holliday. Completely and utterly different. Yet still blues.

Hell, people even take the same songs and translate them into completely different forms. Crossroads (CREAM) and Crossroad Blues (Robert Johnson). In My Time of Dying (Led Zep and Blind Wille Johnson). Same song, but completely different.

Jimmy94
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I seriously doubt that.
There may be as much sub genres. But the difference between each sub genre isn't as big as in metal. That's what I meant.

I know what you meant. I'm saying you're wrong.

imgooley
02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I know what you meant. I'm saying you're wrong.
Agreed

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
^Third........ed?

Dude that was actually kinda trippy. Like the third one and then the first one. That is as different as night and day. I was thinking something like Comparing Duke Ellington to Son House, but that was..... words fail to describe the awe that i felt watching two complete and utter extremities of the same genre.

I think they are all amazing, I must really admit, I have totally overlooked a lot of music like the Gershwin video, I'm going to make an effort to get more of that sort of orchestrated Jazz/Blues

imgooley
02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
^Third........ed?

I think they are all amazing, I must really admit, I have totally overlooked a lot of music like the Gershwin video, I'm going to make an effort to get more of that sort of orchestrated Jazz/Blues
And with this point, the discussion has come full circle and returns at the subject of why we love the blues :cheers:

Carswell98
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
And with this point, the discussion has come full circle and returns at the subject of why we love the blues :cheers:

indeed :cheers:

there is a good one, I'm always finding something new, a new niche genre, a new approach, it never gets boring, because it has been evolving for a couple centuries and is still culturally relevant

tatorbits
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM

lmao feel the love! :dance:

TheDev01dOne
02-15-2008, 08:56 PM

And to urik, Do you listen to some sludge and southern metal? Like DOWN's Eyes of the South? That song is so clearly blues, and at the same time metal. And it's not taboo to say so (like saying that Lamb of God is metal in the metal forum). And compare that song to say, Stormy Blues by Billie Holliday. Completely and utterly different. Yet still blues.

Hell, people even take the same songs and translate them into completely different forms. Crossroads (CREAM) and Crossroad Blues (Robert Johnson). In My Time of Dying (Led Zep and Blind Wille Johnson). Same song, but completely different.

WTF? Since when are Lamb Of God not metal? Must be because they have good musicianship/production and a huge fanbase, that usually makes bands suddenly become not metal and ''sell-outs''

Which proves my point about why blues is just so awesome. You can have as many fans as you like and it means.. You're good! :eek: Crazy.. I know..

Blake99
02-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Robert johnson once said "Blues aint nothin but a good man feelin bad"
Blues is a great genre and is fun to play
definetly nothin like blues
and i know what you mean im 16 and get the same reactions

GD_GC
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Blues is just the music that I love, and I don't know if I can really explain why. Yes, I am a white, middle class, well off kid. "hey you have to be a black guy pickin' cotton to understand the blues!" you may say. Well no. I think the reason I, as well as so many other people love the blues is this: You can take your troubles, your concerns, your problems, and anything you are dealing with, and put them DIRECTLY into the music that is the blues. It is emotion in its purest form, if you ask me. And whether or not those problems are serious, or minor, it is irrelevant. You can take your own personal struggles and put them into the music. That is why blues is so amazing to me.

Blues is a way to express our concerns, help us feel better when we aren't strong, long for what we don't have, and celebrate what we do. It really is emotion in its purest musical form.

I think that is why I love the blues.

urik
02-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Okay okay I was wrong I admit it.

:sad: