blues influenced punk music

PDA

View Full Version : blues influenced punk music

cap'n curry
02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
so lately some of the punk music iv been writting has been kinda bluesishy, like the solo in it would be in the blues scale or one is actually in the 12 bar blues, but it just dosn sound very bluesy, just more punk
it sounds very different, but i kinda like it
so i was wonderin, are there any punk bands u kno that are heavily influenced by blues or have the blues incorperated in their work?

Iluvpowerchords
02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
The Gun Club

They even use slide guitar.

Jeffrey Lee took everything way too seriously though.

They're still awesome though.

gopherthegreat
02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
using the blues scale or pentatonic doesnt exactly make something bluesy........

but i second the gun club

cap'n curry
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
using the blues scale or pentatonic doesnt exactly make something bluesy........

but i second the gun club

well it did have a blues feel to it and stuff, not just the scale

RizzoWashburn
02-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Check out FEAR, the guitar isn't that bluesy but the vocals are.

RockThe40oz
02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Check out FEAR, the guitar isn't that bluesy but the vocals are.

Don't like salami, don't like pastrami
She don't want a chicken, she don't want a roast
She just wants a double dose of my
BEEF BEEF BEEF! BEEF BOLOGNA!

Iluvpowerchords
02-15-2008, 12:20 AM
MAAAAAAAIIIIIII Babaaaaaayy
A Talkin' bout a low down Skankadoo

Lee Ving sings like a black dude...

Which is cool.

His politics however, are a little sketchy.

He seems to genuinely hate/fear "queers", and "sluts."

Still, I like some Fear songs.

opivy21
02-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Oblivians fo' sho'
Gories
Thee Headcoats
Dan Melchior
The Revelators
Mystery Girls
Mr. Airplane Man
Knoxville Girls
Deadly Snakes
Dirtbombs
Starvations

captain_jack
02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
You've probably heard of them, but Social Distortion have some bluesy songs. Drug Train and Coulda Been Me are actually 12 bar blues progressions.

I''ve actually been looking for some good blues influenced punk as well, thanks for making this TS.

radio_schizo
02-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Definately check out The Oblivians. I am just listening to their 'Soul Food' record and it completely takes the blues and just ****s it to pieces with some nasty sounding punk. In a good way of course ;)

Brugels
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
A lot of Punk is influenced by bluesy solos. Listen to The Causalties. Their solos are very bluesy.

lavazza
02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
A lot of Punk is influenced by bluesy solos. Listen to The Causalties. Their solos are very bluesy.

Youre new, eh?

StreetLight3989
02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
We all just adore The Casualties!!!!

mike2
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM

are you serious? are they serious? Am I on ****ing candid ****ing camera? Cause this is not funny. not funny at all....

Mav-16
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
are you serious? are they serious? Am I on ****ing candid ****ing camera? Cause this is not funny. not funny at all....

are you serious? of course it's not funny. Because the Casualties are probably the most talented, respected Punk Rock group ever. The solo's are very bluesey actually...

:haha :haha :haha

NOT!

wshnationals
02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
You've probably heard of them, but Social Distortion have some bluesy songs. Drug Train and Coulda Been Me are actually 12 bar blues progressions.

I''ve actually been looking for some good blues influenced punk as well, thanks for making this TS.

+1, although social d is more rockabilly IMO

MisterChristoph
02-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Definitely check out The Von Bondies(Lack of Communication, My Baby's Cryin', Pawnshoppe Heart), especially the earlier stuff. Their later stuff is really good too, but it has a cleaner sound and higher production. It's all really good though, if you hear their career beyong C'mon C'mon. They are perhaps my favorite punk blues band. Also, The Stooges have a bunch of good punk blues songs(I Need Somebody, Penetration, Dirt, T.V. Eye), and it's even it's own genre. It's my favorite, heh. The White Stripes are also regarded as a punk blues band, and I also second Gun Club.

original=punk
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
+1, although social d is more a ****ty excuse for country punk IMO

fixed :)

devourthekitten
02-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Magrudergrind are the bluesiest punk I've ever heard.

ghostmouse859
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Discharge has some great 12 bar music even though it isn't bluesy.

guitar_hero543
02-22-2008, 11:44 PM
to say that punk was influenced by blues is a crock of ****, no questions asked

original=punk
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM

And this, kids, is what we call ignorance.

mike2
02-23-2008, 05:45 AM

douche...

SuperBlob
02-23-2008, 07:29 AM
*points to Motor City's Burning by MC5*

hardrock1315
02-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Rocket from the Crypt
Dead Boys
Oblivians
New Bomb Turks
Black Lips
Angel City Outcasts
Annihilation Time
Riverboat Gamblers
The Repercussions
The Stooges
MC5
Guitar Wolf

You should try some rockabilly and psychobilly as well.

devourthekitten
02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Rocket from the Crypt
Dead Boys
Oblivians
New Bomb Turks
Black Lips
Angel City Outcasts
Annihilation Time
Riverboat Gamblers
The Repercussions
The Stooges
MC5
Guitar Wolf

You should try some rockabilly and psychobilly as well.
Also Spazz. They covered R.L. Burnside on one of their EPs.

BrianApocalypse
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I've gotten pretty bored of blues type music, and have been working on some diatonic speed licks and classical song structures, to make my music sound European, as opposed to the Americanised trash most Brits insist on churning out.

Interestingly, whenever I use the Mick Jones technique to come up with solos and leads, I always get diatonic stuff come up. One might think otherwise.

devourthekitten
02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
I've gotten pretty bored of blues type music, and have been working on some diatonic speed licks and classical song structures, to make my music sound European, as opposed to the Americanised trash most Brits insist on churning out.

Interestingly, whenever I use the Mick Jones technique to come up with solos and leads, I always get diatonic stuff come up. One might think otherwise.
Try Central Asian throat-singing-punk.

Mav-16
02-24-2008, 04:39 AM

yeah, I've noticed Mick Jones plays different than your typical punk guitarist.

BrianApocalypse
02-24-2008, 06:35 AM
It's not so much that I'm playing like Mick Jones, I just use the technique of recording a vocal solo over a backing track and then transcribing it.

Mick Jones isn't a blues wanker either, good stripped down Mick Ronson type thing :)

Everyone with brains loves Mick Ronson, may he rest in peace.

hardrock1315
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
And this, kids, is what we call ignorance.
I believe the word is "ignint".

red157
02-24-2008, 04:43 PM
The Gun Club

They even use slide guitar.

Jeffrey Lee took everything way too seriously though.

They're still awesome though.
I love the Gun Club.

Carry Home... Great stuff.

opivy21
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Captain Beefheart is good and bluesy.

Brugels
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Listen to the 'Leaders of Today' solo on the album 'Casualties Army'.

gopherthegreat
03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Listen to the 'Leaders of Today' solo on the album 'Casualties Army'.
i looked it up and cant find it. link?

Mav-16
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
damn.... I'm listening to the Gun Club right now.

real good stuff.

Joe-Fish
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
The Cramps.

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
everyone needs to check out The Roosters and The Blue Hearts.
They're two Japanese punk groups from the 1980s that rely heavily on blues influences,....especially the Roosters, they combine the styles pretty much dead on with some other influences like surf and ska as well....but the Blue Hearts have some stuff too.

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 06:19 AM
G Unit! Haven't seen you for a while...

Hows things?

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Things are good. I think its been what? 2 yrs since my last post?
Look in my signature, check out my band....we're doing pretty good right now...

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I'm listening atm. It's definitely been too long.

It's nice, but it's quite straight. I'd like to hear some of the psychedelic surf you talk about :)

PS.) I like the intro to dope fiend :)

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Yeah, we don't have enough recordings yet....those are from like November of 2005....
We're gonna try and make some more, but we have changed a lot since then....but we still do some surf type **** you know....our songs on the site aren't a good enough representation of our sound as a whole you know....

RockerPseudonym
03-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Not exactly Punk, but punk influenced and a lot of punk bands are willing to pay them lip service at the very least, Danzig utilized a lot of blues in his music, especially when John Christ was in the band.

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 06:28 AM
i think we're gonna do some demos next week.
we're playing with sham 69 on friday down in bakersfield (about 2 hours away from where we live) then i think we were gonna make some new recordings....
all that **** is with our old bass player....

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeah, we don't have enough recordings yet....those are from like November of 2005....
We're gonna try and make some more, but we have changed a lot since then....but we still do some surf type **** you know....our songs on the site aren't a good enough representation of our sound as a whole you know....

Cool, it's a shame I'm over here in Limey Country, I'm doing a recording course at university and could seriously help you out.

And by that I mean studio quality recordings for free.

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 06:32 AM
We have a studio in our practice room, thats where we recorded those ones....
Did you see any of the videos?

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Nope, I'll have a looksy. And Sham 69... awesome.

Even though if it ain't got Jimmy Pursey in it, it ain't Sham 69.

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 06:39 AM
yeah pursey quit like ****ing less than 6 months ago, its so retarded....
its like the other original members with some new singer thats whack, because they were touring with pursey up until they released the new album....

lavazza
03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Somebody who is called "Berlioz" posts in the Punk Forum :eek:

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
You don't remember Mr Clifton of the excellent Velisha because you're a new skool poser.

EDIT: WTF? did Franco restart the band? They're crap now.

http://www.myspace.com/thevelisha

THIS is where it's at:

http://velishapunx.dmusic.com/music/

Berlioz97
03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
haha, i'm not going to say anything about that band negative or positive.
i'll let you be the judge....and you have fine judgement

there's a lot of bad blood there i'd rather not revisit.
but what happened is me and joseph (the drummer from the old velisha) started this band after the breakup, but this band broke up, then we got it back together.

i was in a blues band for awhile with the old velisha bass player too http://www.myspace.com/electricgrease

and i was in a psychobilly band too http://www.myspace.com/knownassociatefresno but i sort of lost interest in the whole psycho thing.

lavazza
03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
You don't remember Mr Clifton of the excellent Velisha because you're a new skool poser.

EDIT: WTF? did Franco restart the band? They're crap now.

http://www.myspace.com/thevelisha

I say something positive.....this band is really good, not this stupid surf-skate-sun californian party punk stuff

:( Im no nu skool poser Im here since 2005.....thats longer than most of the others are, but I asked because I was tortured with Hector berlioz during music lessons

Berlioz97
03-08-2008, 05:28 PM
??

SuperBlob
03-08-2008, 05:35 PM
:( Im no nu skool poser Im here since 2005.....thats longer than most of the others are, but I asked because I was tortured with Hector berlioz during music lessons
Pfft, the END of '05 maybe...I don't go around acting all high and mighty because I've been here 2 years :p:

justforcomments
03-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Listen to the song 'Roll On' by The Living End, that has a really bluesy solo. They're more rockabilly than punk though. They aren't hxc punk by any stretch of the imagination, more like a mainstream band with punkish lyrics.

lavazza
03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Pfft, the END of '05 maybe...I don't go around acting all high and mighty because I've been here 2 years :p:

Im two months longer here than you are......kneel down in front of your leader :D

SuperBlob
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Im two months longer here than you are......kneel down in front of your leader :D
It's also possible that you've been here 1 month longer though :p:
End of December - Start of Feb :p:

lavazza
03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
It's also possible that you've been here 1 month longer though :p:
End of December - Start of Feb :p:

youre a raisin-bugger......Im longer here than you :devil:

SuperBlob
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
youre a raisin-bugger......Im longer here than you :devil:
Yes, but it's like someone born in October bragging about being older than someone born in November :haha
And what the hell's a raisin bugger? :haha

lavazza
03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
And what the hell's a raisin bugger? :haha

Someone who is trying to split hairs, a quibbler, a pettifogger (or just someone who ****s out dried grapes)

SuperBlob
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Someone who is trying to split hairs, a quibbler, a pettifogger (or just someone who ****s out dried grapes)
Aah, a pedantic bastard then.

lavazza
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Aah, a pedantic bastard then.

ah no......thats too negative and bastard......a bastard is anybody and pedantic is too harsh a raisin bugger is annoying but the term is more lovely

SuperBlob
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
ah no......thats too negative and bastard......a bastard is anybody and pedantic is too harsh a raisin bugger is annoying but the term is more lovely
Not really, raisin bugger just sounds...wrong

But anyway, we should stop this here crazy spam. :p:

Berlioz97
03-12-2008, 04:57 AM
BAH Look I've been on this account since 2003.
Look up Berlioz96. That's my old account. I was on since way before all you all. :peace:

So bow down to me!

The Living End is so not blues kiddies.

lavazza
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
BAH Look I've been on this account since 2003.
Look up Berlioz96. That's my old account. I was on since way before all you all. :peace:

So bow down to me!

The Living End is so not blues kiddies.

But your name is still Berlioz and thats torturing me

Berlioz97
03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I know, its meant to torture. Haha.
Ever watch the Disney movie The Aristocats?

mike2
03-13-2008, 03:31 AM
damn, it feels like i have been on here way longer than i actually have...hm...only since 2005...

SuperBlob
03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
That was the best one :p:

lavazza
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
I know, its meant to torture. Haha.

No......But now Ive read the summary at wikipedia.......

Roots_radical
03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Yo gang, I may very well be wrong but a lot of the guitar on Raw power by Iggy and chums sounds very bluesy to me, as well as very (I don't wanna say raw again :P) Anyone else think so? :/

cian hackett
03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Yo gang, I may very well be wrong but a lot of the guitar on Raw power by Iggy and chums sounds very bluesy to me, as well as very (I don't wanna say raw again :P) Anyone else think so? :/

iggy and the stoges were really the start of punk but were still very blusey love that album it really is hallf punk half blues