Hi and Low input

PDA

View Full Version : Hi and Low input

TERU
02-15-2008, 09:14 AM
My amp has a hi and low input jack for the guitar. Which hole do i plug my guitar into?

djmay71
02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
may i ask what amp this is?
my amp has high and low gain inputs, and it is recommended for peavey amps with this feature to be plugged into high gain, and only use low gain if you're using a noise gate or a acoustic similator pedals.

TERU
02-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Its the laney lc15r

happy-and-lost
02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Low is for low-output pickups (single coils), High is for high-output pickups (humbuckers)

Or such is my understanding.

guitarcrazy1991
02-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Nope.

Hi is high impedance for passive low output pickups

Lo is low impedance for active high output pickups.

TERU
02-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Am using dual EMG81's, so am guessing I have to use the low input right?

happy-and-lost
02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I was close. Yup, plug it in low.

guitarcrazy1991
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Although, with passive pickups, using either won't matter. I prefer the Lo for cleans and Hi for drive. But with active, stick to the Lo if you don't want to damage your amp.

ECwomantoneman
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah from my understanding, in laymans terms,

Hi = more fuzz
Lo = less fuzz

But yeah I think if you took really high output PUs thro the hi output channel it'd feck your amp

Tackleberry
02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Depends on the amp. Some will give another stage of gain when using the high input. Others simply use the low so you will have more headroom when using pedals. I doubt it will hurt anything to use the high input with actives. I do it with mine all the time actives or passives use the high input, using the low just reduces the volume a little. The manual that comes with my amp says if 2 guitars are plugged in they are both low input. The low works pretty good when trying to get a cleaner tone.

jojobeasty
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
im going to highjack this thread since its been inactive for a month or so and i dont quite understand

i have an Acoustic Control Corporation 165 tube amp with a high and low input. im using a schecter with humbuckers and a piezo. which input should i use?

icronic
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
im going to highjack this thread since its been inactive for a month or so and i dont quite understand

i have an Acoustic Control Corporation 165 tube amp with a high and low input. im using a schecter with humbuckers and a piezo. which input should i use?

There is no right answer. You can really use either.

Think of it this way, using the low input is basically like having your guitars volume knob turned down slightly. That means the amp will be a little quiter, quite a bit more clean and you'll need more gain for your overdrive sounds.

I normally leave it on high, but if you're finding the amp is not clean enough, or you're getting a lot of feedback (especially with the piezo) then you should switch to low.