Rhythm Guitarist is Playing Indie...

PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm Guitarist is Playing Indie...

LeperAffinity
02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm in a band that's going to be playing melodic metal - in the same kind of vein as Kalmah, Norther and Children of Bodom.
The rhythm guitarist (a good friend of mine) has only recently started listening to metal and he's tbh pretty bad at writing - so he asked me to write him a lead riff to base his rhythm on (odd way to do things I know). I wrote the riff and he worked his ass off with it for a couple of weeks and finally came up with something.
He's got 10/10 for effort but firstly the rhythms sounds like something that would be played by an indie band and secondly it doesn't fit in at all with the lead.

How do I get him writing metal without being an ass about what he's worked hard on? Is it merely a case of waiting for him to hear more metal and get his influences or should I get him working on learning some metal songs (to show him what needs doing)?
Anyone got any ideas?

Ichimaru
02-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Getting him listening to metal would be the first step.
Learning metal songs and techniques is eqally important though.

Techtonic
02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Don't if he isn't into the music than let him go.

mosh_face
02-15-2008, 07:57 PM
gotta know some theory to make rhythm and lead work together and sound like something. tell him that what he wrote is good but for this particular song you need him to use powerchords chromatically and hammer the **** out of the lowest open note

bobeatsbob
02-16-2008, 12:37 PM
If he's not into metal then he's not going to be very good in a metal band... If you cant get hold of any else to replace him why don't you write for him and get him to play it?

SSDDPunkRocker
02-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm the same way, though. I play in a metal band, and I have no problem making metal-esque riffs, but I listen to a lot of stuff like Sugarcult and Good Charlotte, but I still do listen to Atreyu, Metallica, BFMV, y'know, heavier stuff like that too.

Point is to let him stay open-minded about the music, but maybe just get together with him one day (not an actual practice with the drummer, etc) maybe at his place or your place and just jam together and he'll start to feel the metal. ;)

werty22
02-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Why don't you write the rhythm parts?

LeperAffinity
02-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far :)
He does like metal, I'm not so cruel as to expect him to play something he doesn't like, but it's more a new found genre for him.
As for me writing the rhythm, I could do but I'd feel like I was saying "right, you suck, let me do it!". Plus if I do that I may as well do it all myself and record myself playing both parts... Also playing with a good guitarist tends to boost your own writing ability so it'd really be better if he learned.

I'll get him playing along to some metal and find some time to just sit and jam with him.