Can the lead guitarist sing?

PDA

View Full Version : Can the lead guitarist sing?

mydogpoops
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I can sing alright, and I'm playing lead in the band I've started. Our rythym guitarist and bassist both have really deep voices, and suck at their intruements(not as much for the bassist) so could I sing and play most of the guitar work? Stuff similar to Nirvana, Gn'R, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, ect.

usuckhugeonez
02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
idk... can you?

Aziraphale
02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Of course. It might take some practice, but it'll come to you. Like Alexi Laiho said, sure it was hard but it just had to be done so he did it.

Kartman
02-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton and John Mayer have done it, so yes, I believe you can.

-xCaMRocKx-
02-15-2008, 07:33 PM
no rule says you can't.

and if there IS a rule saying you can't, you should do it anyway.

GeekInThePink
02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Of course you can! But it is quite a challenge.

EDIT: Actually it depends on the difficulty of what you're playing.

james4
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
You shouldn't really need to ask us that. If you can play and sing, then play and sing. If you can't, try finding a singer, or stick a microphone in front of the drummer...

Impakt
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Opeth says hi.

Zero_Mike
02-15-2008, 07:38 PM
If you can, do it. If you can't don't. It's that simple.

ckyjames
02-15-2008, 07:41 PM
If you can sing and play what you play why ask? if you cant do it find a singer or let one of your over band members sing if they can play there part and still sing. There aint no rule saying a lead guitarist cant sing at the same time.

shortyafter
02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
As others have said, yes, you can. But one option is to swap off leads with the other guitarist. Play what you can while you sing, and do the solos and such in between vocal parts. What you can't do, see if the other guitarist can learn. Then you play rhythm during those parts.

Sonicxlover
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
In both the bands I'm in, I'm the lead guitarist and singer. So yeah. Isn't Dave Mustaine also lead guitarist + singer?

Zander155
02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Jimi Hendrix.... 'nuff said.

Tubyboulin
02-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah of course. C.C DeVille of poison sang one of them New songs, and i really liked it. Theres no reason why you shouldnt, unless your in fact a horrible singer ;)

KennySG
02-16-2008, 12:43 AM
i wish my voice wasnt deep :(

axemanchris
02-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Lots of lead singer/guitarists - and ones that are good at both too.

Rik Emmet (Triumph), Kim Mitchell (Max Webster), SRV, George Thorogood, Rush (okay, Geddy plays bass, but his bass lines are more elaborate than most guitarists parts are), Lita Ford, Clapton, BB King, Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), etc.

CT

kirbyrocknroll
02-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Go for it. You don't necessarily have to be able to do both at the same time. I haven't listened to many songs where there is a lead guitar playing during all of the vocal parts. Some people might think you're full of yourself or an attention ***** of some sort, but who cares?

adamrandall
02-16-2008, 01:26 AM
idk... can you?

ive been beat to it. =/

guitarist10
02-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Ya know, out of all these replys, I don't see one person that mentioned Billy Gibbons of ZZTop...

Yes, the lead guitarist can sing but it takes talent.

1: Need to know how to sing and play guitar

2: Need exceptional coordination

3: Read number one and two THOUROUGHLY!

Of course thats only if you want to do both at the same time. You can always switch between guitarists.

electricnightma
02-16-2008, 06:30 AM
*coughs* Hendrix.

Symmetry4321
02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
In both the bands I'm in, I'm the lead guitarist and singer. So yeah. Isn't Dave Mustaine also lead guitarist + singer?

Cool for you, but no he is not, its always been Freidman or Drover or whoever it is this week

PhantomNote
02-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Sure, it's just hard, but with practice hopefully you'll get it. I know I can't do it very good :p: and I probably sing horribly, so whatever xd

soccerdude3465
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Muhammed Suišmez, Alexi Laiho, Mikael ┼kerfeldt. That's all that needs to be said.

Techtonic
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
When you do leads and singer your going to get most attention and personally thats a really greedy thing to do to a band but if you are doing duel guitars than that is a different story.

soccerdude3465
02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
When you do leads and singer your going to get most attention and personally thats a really greedy thing to do to a band but if you are doing duel guitars than that is a different story.
Since when is it greedy to make the best music possible with the talent you have?

Archeo Avis
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM
so could I sing and play most of the guitar work?

I don't know, can you?
The SS isn't going to break into your house at night and execute you for setting up a band a certain way.

Techtonic
02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Since when is it greedy to make the best music possible with the talent you have?

Your telling be that for example Children of bodom is known for the whole band? no, they only know Alexi for thew most part.I also said if it is duel guitars that would be alright becuase they can share doing solos unlike Lead guitarists /vocals that just want to do every single solo possible in a band.Anyways that is my IMO

Cerasti
02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
This is interesting, because although I'd want to be able to sing and play the guitar at the same time, I'm mediocre at it. I suppose this is just a matter of practice?

LeperAffinity
02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
What's wrong with being greedy? If you've got it flaunt it!
Hell if you're the best looking bastard in the band you've gotta be at the front anyway, otherwise the chicks'll never listen to you!

axemanchris
02-16-2008, 11:14 PM

It all depends on how you handle it. My bandmates are really easy-going guys, but I make sure as often as possible to let the light shine on them. When we do TV/Radio stuff, I make sure to try to bring them along and get them some airtime, and if that's not possible, at least make sure it is known that I'm nothing but just another hack that never gets out of his bedroom making music without them. Any print stuff we do, I try to make sure they have a shot at a question or two, get quotes in, whatever. Live, I make sure to step aside when I can to let them be the focus.

The other rationale behind that is that the more a person feels like they are part of the band, the more ownership they take in the project, and the less likely they are to quit, goof off, etc.

But then again, I'm not the singer/guitarist because I'm arrogant. I'm the singer/guitarist because I'm a guitarist who got frustrated not having a band to play with due to not having a singer, so I learned how to do it myself. I have always found singing (until the last year or so) terribly difficult, so I've never felt that sense of prima donna entitlement that some singers get. What I like to call "LSD" - Lead Singers' Disease.

CT

Black Star
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Your telling be that for example Children of bodom is known for the whole band? no, they only know Alexi for thew most part.I also said if it is duel guitars that would be alright becuase they can share doing solos unlike Lead guitarists /vocals that just want to do every single solo possible in a band.Anyways that is my IMO

Lead singer/guitarists are not a bad thing. People who think you're an attention whore for it need to pull the stick out of their asses. If it sounds best that way, that's the way it should be done.

shortyafter
02-17-2008, 01:44 AM
In a situation where the other guitarist can't handle the leads, being the lead guitar/singer isn't greedy at all. But when you've got a guitarist who is equal or better than you and you still insist on taking all the lead parts, then there's no reason for that besides wanting to be the center of attention.

lotsofvolume
02-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Of course you can. There are heaps of people who do both. It might just take some practice though.

atlasguitar
02-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I sure hope so because my band has 3 members and I am both the lead/rhythm guitarist and vocalist. So I'm in the same boat, and boy does it look scary. It'll take tremendous talent but it is possible.

xScarfx
02-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Fall of troy
Fall of troy
Fall of troy

Its really really hard... but if you practice it im sure it will come to you

Vale_Deo
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Are you serious? Children of Bodom is very often widely known for the whole band. The drummer gets amazing parts, the bass is never just hidden in the back, the keyboardist has duals with Alexi all the time, and gets plenty of show, and the rhythm guitar is sometimes as sophisticated, if not more-so than the lead. Alexi doesn't make that band, and a good majority of the fans know that.

deadlydunc
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
and if there IS a rule saying you can't, you should do it anyway.

+1 aaaaah yeah!

Samzawadi
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd advise being prepared to play rhythm parts sometimes...doing the singing well during the verses is indisputably more important than playing a lead line underneath them-but go for it! If you can pull it off, all respect.

Also, work on having your lead lines interlock with the vocals, not the underlying rhythm, if that makes sense. Don't necessarily have a guitar fill at the end of every fourth bar if you end the lines halfway through the fifth. Fill out the space in the music with guitar parts, and then you won't even need to sing *and* play lead guitar at once.

Retro Rocker
04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I do it, you should too.

thedefrockednun
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Are you serious? Children of Bodom is very often widely known for the whole band. The drummer gets amazing parts, the bass is never just hidden in the back, the keyboardist has duals with Alexi all the time, and gets plenty of show, and the rhythm guitar is sometimes as sophisticated, if not more-so than the lead. Alexi doesn't make that band, and a good majority of the fans know that.

what u say may be true but in that sentence u only used alexi's name (hence the names rest unknown).

btw im sure ull manage if you are good at both, all it takes is practice

noisypinkbubbles
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah im the same way dude. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

af_the_fragile
04-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Jari of Wintersun sings while doing 200bmp sweeps on his guitar....
He's insane!

bangoodcharlote
04-22-2008, 07:45 AM
The lead guitarist often plays the more difficult guitar part, so it's harder to sing than if you were just playing chords.

Moreover, the spotlight will be on one guy who does the soloing and the singing; no one else will be in the limelight and the rest of the band will be like bassists. :p

There's no problem with it, but you'll have to deal with those issues.

valennic
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Hell, if you can, then do. Alexi Laiho, The guy from Opeth (cant spell his name....), the guys from Trivium (no flaming!), and a bunch of other guys do it. So why can't you? Sure, it will take a LOT of practice, because it is hard as hell, but trust me, itll be worth it.

insanitybreed
04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Heck yes the lead guitarist can sing. look at Alexi Laiho.

SlackerBabbath
04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Playing chords and singing shouldn't be too much of a problem, it just takes practice, soloing and singing at the same time is harder, but thankfully very few songs have vocals over the solo.
Playing bass and singing is fairly easy (obviously depending on the style of bass playing you're doing)
But drumming and singing at the same time is really hard to do. Four limbs and a voice, all doing different things all at once.

CoheednRHCP
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Kurt Cobain was lead guitar and lead vocals so if you're going to do Nirvana then you should be fine.

dannay
04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
no. you can not.

why?

because i said so.