3guitarists in band?

PDA

View Full Version : 3guitarists in band?

Loco23
02-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey guys im in this band rite now things r going pretty cool, we have done 7 nation army as our first and we intend on covering Iris-Goo Goo Dolls and When im gone-simple plan. Our band consists of a bass, me Guitarist, a lead Singa, Drummer and another guitarist. But they want another guitarist in the band can it work? or will it just coz more arguements?
thanks!

Regression
02-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Judging by the music you intend to play, another guitarist will be pointless. It will probably just end up causing problems somehow.

cheese_weasel
02-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree with regression, unless you're playing more complex stuff or songs that are originally with three guitars seems pretty pointless.

SP2991
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
if your gonna have 3 guitarists id say something heavy than what your playing a lot of City Of Evil Album By A7X has a 3rd guitar running through it.

ibikinz
02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
If Iron Maiden can do it than you can as well but it would be pointless by looking at your set list no offence to it though.

PhantomNote
02-16-2008, 08:06 AM
if you're gonna have three, atleast make us of it. Harmonizing, some of the stuff done i classical music can be a good inspiration (without making it sound like classical) and stuff.

Unless you're gonna do something technical or stuff like that, I wouldn't advise it though

Archeo Avis
02-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Bandleading forum.

-xCaMRocKx-
02-16-2008, 08:19 AM
itd be more beneficial if your third guitarist could also play keyboards (INXS anyone?)

BaciDolci
02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
i agree with phantom and xcam... the third one has to cover for another instrument, using some counterpoint; otherwise it just duplicate one other, with a lot of risks: synchro, tone, and most important... whose the best? the other will be unuseful in a couple of days...

but, is not that impossible stuff. here we have a band called matusa (from mathusalem, we are 40+, and from mat-USA because we like "classical american" from creedence clearwater on) and we have 3 guitars, 1 bass, keyboard, drum, lead vocal, two chicks in chorus, trumpets...

but we are an ensemble, we have room for everybody.

the lead guitar is followed by two rythm guitars, but they play usually chords (one) and arpeggios (the other).

so... settle down, think a lot, think of everything you got...

shoolocomous
02-16-2008, 08:46 AM
iron maiden do it, radiohead do it, Im sure there are more.

Although If you all end up wanting to play a solo each and stuff there could be problems :p

Mr.Cuddles
02-16-2008, 09:48 AM
iron maiden do it, radiohead do it, Im sure there are more.

Although If you all end up wanting to play a solo each and stuff there could be problems :p
skynard? and when lynrd skynryd plays the dont kid around.

id stick with 2 alot simpler

RockFreak000
02-16-2008, 11:22 AM
itd be more beneficial if your third guitarist could also play keyboards (INXS anyone?)
Steve vai band also
but he dosent cover simple plan

systematic_nois
02-16-2008, 11:09 PM
judging by your set list there i would say cover some Hawthorne Heights and some Cartel because both of those bands use 3 guitars regularly. ive thought about this as well for my band but one of the guitarists has to either do vocals or play another instrument or else the sound gets kinda muddied. if you can manage to pull it off pm when you get a recording up because id love to hear it.

good luck!!!

JRohr
02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
If Iron Maiden can do it than you can as well but it would be pointless by looking at your set list no offence to it though.

Yes of course, just as Iron Maiden can sell millions of records and be widely regarded as one of the best metal bands ever, so can you. :rolleyes:

I would just stick with 2, especcially with the music you guys are playing.

Loco23
02-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys really apriciate it!!
And we're gonna take your advice and not kick him out but leave him as a reserve after all, he doesn't even take lessons (we are a teen band) lol so yeh thanks guys!:D