Should I stay or should I go?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go?

schecter ftw
02-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm in a 4 piece band. Theres lead guitar, drummer, bass player and other guitarist. I play lead guitar. The thing is all of the band hates the stuff I write. Then when the other guitarist writes this really basic boring stuff there all "Like thats teh bomb man yah...". The guitarist has only been playing for about 4 months now and I've been playing for 3 years so..... The bass player is ok and so is the drummer. The thing is that there some of my best friends and I'm worried that if I quit they'll hate me and stuff. What should I do?

FrosteeFresh
02-16-2008, 06:43 PM
wow only four months, it seems that aren't really at your musical level, and tell them it's nothing personal, but you are leaving the band for other musical pursuits. if they are cool they will understand.

Footzyrama
02-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I would leave if i was you. Your clearly at a higher musical level then them. But let them down slowly.

dogismycopilot
02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Ok. Is there evident reason to your riffage? For instance....do you use theory in your writing, or does the other guy? Or do you both just play stuff that "sounds good". You gotta make sure you make him feel....well in short, dumber than you. Ask him what key its in, how he got there, whats it sound like, add stuff in. I dont know what you're doing wrong. If you been playing for 3 years you know what ur doing. Do the other guys like pick on you or something? My band mates and i have an understanding that if one person truley hates the song that we just wrote, we will throw it out and start all over. But you really gotta hate it and give reasons why. You cant just say "oh, that sucks because" you must say "that sucks because it sounds too much like another song/boring/no hook/etc."

When your at home, write an entire song, all the way through. I sometimes do that and it helps get the ball rolling a little faster. I cant say that i havent had my moments where ive written something great that i completely threw away cause my other guys hated it.

schecter ftw
02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry forgot to add tha...

The drummer has been playing for like 4 years but he isn't very creative. The bass player has been playing for 7 years on and off. But when he tried to play Lounge Act, he just couldn't do it... Then I should him how to play it on bass and got mad....

MetalMusicianAl
02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
you should go. they're holding you back

dogismycopilot
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
you should go. they're holding you back
Yep

rageagainst64
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok. Is there evident reason to your riffage? For instance....do you use theory in your writing, or does the other guy? Or do you both just play stuff that "sounds good". You gotta make sure you make him feel....well in short, dumber than you. Ask him what key its in, how he got there, whats it sound like, add stuff in. I dont know what you're doing wrong. If you been playing for 3 years you know what ur doing. Do the other guys like pick on you or something?

yeah bud if there givin you crap and youre better, show your authority or move on

schecter ftw
02-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah but one of the only bad things is, there like the only other kids that even play bass, drums etc at my school.

SSDDPunkRocker
02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah but one of the only bad things is, there like the only other kids that even play bass, drums etc at my school.

Just because they're your friends and "play" instruments, if you don't get along as musicians, tell them you're too busy or something and just try and pursue something else, maybe solowise.

dissident52
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
A band needs to be a cohesive unit. If you disagree with how things are, either talk it out with them or just leave.

It makes no sense to be in a band with them just because you're friends with them.

dogismycopilot
02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I know what you mean, you have to take what you can get. If you still want to play with them and attempt something, just practice on your own time and become phenomenal. I did that before, and it has payed off with my band now. There will never be the perfect band at our age. Do what you can with what you got.

Techtonic
02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
If a guitarist of 4 months makes better material than you should stop playing guitar and run away ....seriously :haha

schecter ftw
02-16-2008, 08:08 PM
If a guitarist of 4 months makes better material than you should stop playing guitar and run away ....seriously :haha

I never said he wrote better riffs. The drummer and bassist are just too lazy to find a drum/bass parts for my riffs and rather just take the easy way out and use the simple songs my other guitarist writes.

kaptink
02-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure what to advise really. If you stay there could be trouble, if you leave there could be double!

ESte
02-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I expected this to be a The Clash thread.

JLT73
02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
You will find out over time, when you are at higher levels of playing you leave one band for a better band. It happens all the time. Music is all about having fun and enjoying the time spent with it. If you are unhappy, leave and find something better.

atlasguitar
02-18-2008, 02:27 AM
I think the best thing to do is to tell them what you said on the thread (a little nicer though) and make them understand what is going on and see if you guys can fix it. If not, leave. Leave your options open.

schecter ftw
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Well just to inform you guys, I quit the band today. ATM, the other guitarist in my band is flipping **** on me since I quit. He keeps saying the only reason I'm quitting is because I'm mad that they never liked the stuff I wrote. I keep telling him I want to find a band with people more of my musical level and he just won't believe me.

EDIT: Well, now when I try to talk to him he never respones back. He also took me off his Top 8 so I'm guessin it didn't go over too well. He was one of my best friends too. :(

dudey5691
03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
it'll fly over.

I had the same problem, except in this case, I ended up rejoining the band in an attempt to make THEM more serious....but it's failing.

Just try to add a couple words in a day, maybe if they record something or you hear something about 'em...compliment, try to not constrict the bad tension.

Or just return the favor and completely ignore them until they get over themselves, like I did :p:

Blash
03-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Try not to worry about it so much, you've made the right choice.

Just wondering, how have the other members, excluding the rhythm guitarist, been treating you?

schecter ftw
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Try not to worry about it so much, you've made the right choice.

Just wondering, how have the other members, excluding the rhythm guitarist, been treating you?

The drummer was like ok, and the bassist was just dissing me. Some friends I got, eh?

Gargan
03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
They were dissing you?? That seems more than a little childish. Dont worry dude, it isnt your fault.

schecter ftw
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh ****, it just got even better....

Now the other guitarist is getting all his friends to diss me now cause I quit. -.-

XVentura
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
These kind of threads are always funny because no one on the forum has any idea about how good any of the musicians mentioned are.

Why don't you post up a vid/mp3 of you playing? And then a separate one of your band playing?

All this snobbish stuff is pretty high-school (which is what I'm guessing you're in).

I love these high-school drama threads :D

Edit: some real advice (and I'll stop being a dick), if you don't enjoy playing music with someone, then stop. It's really that easy. If they're your friends, your 'true' friends, then they'll understand and probably even support your decision. If they're not then they're obviously a bunch of cocks.

schecter ftw
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarhero9901

I've become a way better player since these vids, as I've been them up a few months ago. I'm only 14 btw.

Band doesn't have anything.

XVentura
03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

I've become a way better player since these vids, as I've been them up a few months ago. I'm only 14 btw.

So you're not even in high-school yet? Great.

Just chill out and enjoy playing music. If you don't enjoy it, you'll end up quitting soon enough (I know from experience). If they're your friends and you enjoy playing with them, then continue. If not, stop.

It's not rocket-science :p:

Edit: You're pretty decent for a 14 year old btw.

schecter ftw
03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, today when I was telling my band why I quit, the drummer said that "I am holding myself back". Other wise, there acting ok to me... but not like they were before.

Dimster Ds
03-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Oh ****, it just got even better....

Now the other guitarist is getting all his friends to diss me now cause I quit. -.-
lol, what a sook

schecter ftw
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Heres the drummer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maP5p3Q1OUU

FreakyStyley85
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
get out of there man. you sound like a pretty good guitar player so go start a new band with experianced musicians

Eccer
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM

That's awesome for your age. Im kinda in the same state too.. Difference is that one guy is holding four of us back. Including his girlfriend, yes.. his GIRLFRIEND IS OUR ****ING SINGER.

Woops, getting a bit emotional. Well I would say, start a new one later on as you progress.

Cheers :cool:

gald
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
These kind of threads are always funny because no one on the forum has any idea about how good any of the musicians mentioned are.

I agree. I'd like to hear one of the OP's songs compared to one the band plays.

I have two things for you to consider OP.
1) Just because someone is technically better doesn't mean they write better songs. A friend of mine is a superior player to me. He's faster, he has a better grasp of theory, has a better practice ethic, everything. But he can't write a song to save his life.

They're always disjointed with no flow or cohesivness as all and they aren't pleasing to the ear at all. I mean each little individual riff and part is usually good, but he has no clue how to put it together. The songs I write may be "simpler" but they sound a whole hell of alot better.

Did you ever get anyone other then your bandmates to take a listen to what you've wrote and critique it? You might be suprised to what people like better, your bandmates might understand that.

2) If you're writing what you consider to be more technical music, it may not sound good because you simply aren't good enough to play it yet. I see it all the time in friends bands. They know what they want to play, but thier skill level isn't high enough to do it yet so thier songs come accross sloppy.

This works in two ways, either your songs sound bad to your bandmates because you're playing outside your comfort level, or they might understand that what you want to do is outside thier comfort level. And while it's always good to push yourself, if you're not comfortable with what you're playing EVERYONE will know it and your songs will suck.

Or of course they could just be lazy ****s who don't want to work too hard to write a song :)

sus4th
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm in a 4 piece band. Theres lead guitar, drummer, bass player and other guitarist. I play lead guitar. The thing is all of the band hates the stuff I write. Then when the other guitarist writes this really basic boring stuff there all "Like thats teh bomb man yah...". The guitarist has only been playing for about 4 months now and I've been playing for 3 years so..... The bass player is ok and so is the drummer. The thing is that there some of my best friends and I'm worried that if I quit they'll hate me and stuff. What should I do?

The best advice I ever received about being in a band Ė and I will share it with you for no charge Ė is that if you are the best musician in the band, itís time to go. You do not have to leave with animosity, however. Just be honest and say that your music is different from what they want to do, that you wish them well, but you and they are not served by you staying with the band. You canít stay because you want to play the songs you are writing and it will do them no good to have a member that isnít happy with the direction of the music. Be kind, be open, be honest. Let them feel angry if they must, and empathize with them. But do not stay in a musical situation that will make you miserable. It is just not worth it.

schecter ftw
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIm173qm8ks

Thats the band without me. I love how there even dissing me in the vid depsciption....

Wow I can't even they sank this low in there Myspace....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=327835533

Can someone please go spam teh s*** out of them telling em there no talented d***faces and need to grow up???

They blocked me on Myspace btw.

Jix_Jax
03-16-2008, 12:17 AM
lol dude, just write your own songs and keep them to yourself, and then later on try really hard to find COMPITENT musicians and show them your stuff. You'll find yourself in a sweet band and your 'ex-friends' will look like assclowns compared to you.

You is the win. :D

NothingButRock
03-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Well if he's gonna be a dickhead tell him to get the **** over it and grow up..i was in a band withh some mates and ended up having to kick two out and they were a bit ****ty at first but they got over it...well actually i didnt kick them out my mate did..but you see my point...if he doesnt get over it then he's just a juvinelle idiot and if he does then wonderful

SlackerBabbath
03-16-2008, 06:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIm173qm8ks

Thats the band without me. I love how there even dissing me in the vid depsciption....

Wow I can't even they sank this low in there Myspace....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=327835533

Can someone please go spam teh s*** out of them telling em there no talented d***faces and need to grow up???

They blocked me on Myspace btw.
Wow. :eek:
That's really, really sad and childish. Not to worry though, they've only gone and been really, really sad and childish on the internet where everyone, (including prospective promoters, gig organisers, ect) that cross checks their name looking for information about them will see it. Believe me, after that brilliant ( :rolleyes: ) little stunt, they are not gonna be taken seriously by anyone that matters.
Hell of a way to shoot themselves in the foot though. :haha

trey-col89
03-16-2008, 02:14 PM
EDIT: Well, now when I try to talk to him he never respones back. He also took me off his Top 8 so I'm guessin it didn't go over too well. He was one of my best friends too. :(
Well at least hes taking it like a mature adult. :rolleyes:

Then just be like, yeah I quit cause you guys didn't like the stuff I wrote and I want to play stuff that I write. Who cares? If the other guys are as lazy and untalented as you make them sound, they probably won't last the month. If hes really your best friend and hes pissed at you for quitting some stupid high school band that will mean nothing once you guys graduate, then just don't hang out with him, he sounds like a twat.

schecter ftw
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Well at least hes taking it like a mature adult. :rolleyes:

Then just be like, yeah I quit cause you guys didn't like the stuff I wrote and I want to play stuff that I write. Who cares? If the other guys are as lazy and untalented as you make them sound, they probably won't last the month. If hes really your best friend and hes pissed at you for quitting some stupid high school band that will mean nothing once you guys graduate, then just don't hang out with him, he sounds like a twat.

Really dude they are. The bass player has been playing for 7 years and can't even play Lounge Act. -.-

trey-col89
03-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Well I'm not familiar with that song, but I know people who have been playing guitar for 5 years and can't play a lick. Generally, unless you just have unbelievably poor motor skills, almost anyone can pick up guitar or bass and be decent, with a sufficient amount of time and effort put in. It won't happen quickly, but if you work hard you could be pretty decent after a couple of years of playing. Those who aren't, just don't take music seriously. Its not a bad thing, not everybody takes music as seriously as you or I. It sounds like thats the case with your bass player, he just doesn't really care about music as much as you do.

Also, just tell the other guitar player to get off your fucking back, why does he need you to be in the band so bad? He's giving you such shit about leaving he clearly needs you to elevate his playing.

My one band in high school started out with 2 guitar players, me and the singer/guitarist. He was much better than me technically, but I took the "lead" parts so he could sing although hed always get to take the solo, but whatever. Well, he left and I was left with sole guitar responsibilities and I was like FUCK yes! I hate sharing guitar responsibilities. This kid obviously doesn't believe in himself as much as he believes in you.

schecter ftw
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Well the only reason we only let him in cause we was our friend and all. And after the 1st jam with him I was like I want him out.... NOW!!! He always compared us to AC/DC to the point were it was like just stfu.

Bass First
03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Looking at the video's. The drummer is a complete joke.
The bassist can play root notes and arpeggios.
The rhythm guitarist can play a few strums.

Seriously, your way out of their league.

schecter ftw
03-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Looking at the video's. The drummer is a complete joke.
The bassist can play root notes and arpeggios.
The rhythm guitarist can play a few strums.

Seriously, your way out of their league.

And the drummer thinks hes Gods Gift to the World. :rolleyes:

Anways. they still don't believe the whole "You holding me back". Should I show them this thread to get them pissed off???

BTW, I'm in one of their old vids when I was still in the band. The Band Pratice 1. I was the kid in the black Nirvana shirt and glasses.

z4twenny
03-19-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah dude, you blow them away in comparison. i found myself struggling to get through that awful 1 minute youtube video. keep going at it and find some TALENTED musicians, not some wanna be hacks.

drummer = awful
bass player = mediocre at best
guitarist = that was the worst f#cking improv "solo" i've ever heard in my life.

that was like f#cking panic at the disco bad.

IceFairY
03-22-2008, 12:49 PM
yeah dude, you blow them away in comparison. i found myself struggling to get through that awful 1 minute youtube video. keep going at it and find some TALENTED musicians, not some wanna be hacks.

drummer = awful
bass player = mediocre at best
guitarist = that was the worst f#cking improv "solo" i've ever heard in my life.

that was like f#cking panic at the disco bad.

It wasn't even an improv solo... it was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

-=Led_Hed=-
03-24-2008, 04:53 AM
**** i saw enough of that rag-tag group to know where ur coming from, but in all honesty, if these kids are semi-serious about playing, and u being muc more talented, dude u should've showed them whose boss, if he's riding ur case about the songs u write, kick him out, after all u were there first were u not? sometimes u gotta be a jerk-off to the losers when ur playing music, not cruel just dont let no-one tell u that ****, that obviously good music isn't, and crap is what people wanna hear... rebound quick, put together another project and hit it up baby!