All Rock is Southern Rock

PDA

View Full Version : All Rock is Southern Rock

2pachrist
02-16-2008, 07:56 PM
First, let it be known that im not a huge fan of labels and I think a band should simply be defined by their name...

I'm tired of seeing southern rock and classic rock reffered to seperately... stop and think aout it... rock originated in the south as a form of jazz... eventually it lost much of its brass (trombone, trumpet, saxaphone, etc.) and began to incorperate more strings (Guitar, Bass, and the various forms of those instruments)... And so there was Rock..

so basically, all classic rock is southern, and saying Southern Rock is rather redundent... granted there are obvious differences between bands like Lynard Skynard and Led Zeppelin... but you get my point...

Post your thoughts and arguements...

dgme92
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Just.... No. How would you explain Boston? Southern, my ass.

Aziraphale
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Due to there being obvious differences between bands like Lynard Skynard and Led Zeppelin, I'd say it's quite a usueful term.

dunkelblau
02-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I don;t think you should be able to reference bands that you can't even spell correctly
how 'bout them apples?

LynY(IT'S A GODDAMN Y)rd SkynY(IT'S ANOTHER GODDAMN Y)rd.
in short...
Lynyrd Skynyrd

rockinlespaul
02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I think its fair to just call Southern Rock... Classic Rock. I mean sure, bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers Band, and The Outlaws have a little different flavor to them, but so does Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or The Rolling Stones. Its hard to pick one band and define that as Classic Rock...they all fit in to the genre in their own way.

Thefallofman
02-16-2008, 10:04 PM
First, let it be known that im not a huge fan of labels and I think a band should simply be defined by their name...

I'm tired of seeing southern rock and classic rock reffered to seperately... stop and think aout it... rock originated in the south as a form of jazz... eventually it lost much of its brass (trombone, trumpet, saxaphone, etc.) and began to incorperate more strings (Guitar, Bass, and the various forms of those instruments)... And so there was Rock..

so basically, all classic rock is southern, and saying Southern Rock is rather redundent... granted there are obvious differences between bands like Lynard Skynard and Led Zeppelin... but you get my point...

Post your thoughts and arguements...
Rock and roll is the blues infused with a bit of country. Sure, there's a bit of jazz, but there's a bit of jazz in the blues too. The blues began morphing into rock when the Chicago blues came along. This widely introduced overdrive and drums into blues. Chicago isn't in the south... so I think it's fair to say it originated as much in the north as the south.

And really, you could go back even further and argue that the blues came from old spirituals that originated from blah blah blah blah until you say that all music is just "music". It all had to come from the same place somewhere down the line, therefore it's unfair to label it something different, right?