Unneccesary Guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Unneccesary Guitarist

Gicci
02-17-2008, 09:26 AM
So, My guitarist friend A and I(guitar/Vocal) decided to form a band.
Coincidentially, my other guitarist friend B(well, not actually)asked me a few days laterif we can pair up as a band. Since we didn't have a drummer, we thought we could convert him to a drummer. So we let him join.
We also didn't have a bassist. Friend B had a friend(again, "friend")who played Bass, so we asked him to join.

But then Friend B decided that he didn't want to play drums. Now we have freaking 3 guitarists. Since Friend B didn't want to play drums, I had to go around looking for drummers, and luckily, I found one. So now, friend B is just like... trash.

We were talking about me ditching guitar and just being a vocalist, but because of my Ego, I refuse to. In my mind, just singing is really... unmotivating for me.

And, though kind of wrong, friend B is a bit... off. All the other guys (including me) are on the more popular side of the school, while friend B is like... a PC geek. That's why he's only a "friend" to many.

So we've been in this quarrel for half a year(seriously), and haven't gotten anything going(all because of him=no drummer). Since we have a drummer now, I think he's holding us back, and I really want to kick him out. But he brought us the bassist, so it feels uneasy to kick him out.

Do you think it's right to do so(for all the above reasons)? I know in the end, it's just going to be me picking, but I just wanted to hear suggestions that could better this situation.

Sorry for the wall of text.... :killaxe:

SSDDPunkRocker
02-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Talk to the whole band in a serious meeting, minus the unneccesary dude. If you all feel he shouldn't be in because he's useless, so be it.

More room in the car. ;)

mh400nt
02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Kick him out. If he brings nothing to the band just get it over with, you will all feel better, I KNOW you want to, just from reading all that :p:

rancidryan
02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
you made the band your word is law tell him to get the hell out or wrap his guitar around his neck

linkinwayne
02-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Kick friend B, but if it makes him feel better, invite him over as a guest guitarist on maybe one track or so.

Mr E
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, the meeting without friend B sounds like a good idea. Then go ahead with kicking him out if everyone agrees. I'd just recommend going easy when you kick him, just incase you might need him in the future...

SlackerBabbath
02-17-2008, 09:46 AM
So, you assumed that he'll change from guitar to drums for the band, but when it's productive for the band for you to drop guitar, you don't want to? And now after you used him to get what you want (a bassist) you want to kick him out because he isn't one of the cool kids? Hmmm, I see what you mean about your ego.
Look, you've got three choices.
1. Kick him out an look like a complete bastard.
2. Continue with three guitars and make it work (and there are plenty of bands out there with 3 guitarists including Iron Maiden)
3. Drop the guitar and concentrate on singing. I did this myself, only I was a bass player. I can personaly recommend this as it improves your singing (you're not trying to concentrate on doing two things at one) which will also improve the overall sound of your band, and you don't have to lug a guitar, amp, and other associated guitar equipment to gigs and set it up. ;)

Besides, if he's a computer geek, wouldn't that make him useful for websites and other computer related forms of promotion?

Jehuty
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Besides, if he's a computer geek, wouldn't that make him useful for websites and other computer related forms of promotion?

On a side note, why in gods name would you kick someone out if he has certain interests? You should, in my opinion, only kick someone out if he or she is not a reliable person and takes down the level of the band.

axemanchris
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
So, you assumed that he'll change from guitar to drums for the band, but when it's productive for the band for you to drop guitar, you don't want to? And now after you used him to get what you want (a bassist) you want to kick him out because he isn't one of the cool kids? Hmmm, I see what you mean about your ego.
2. Continue with three guitars and make it work (and there are plenty of bands out there with 3 guitarists including Iron Maiden)
3. Drop the guitar and concentrate on singing. I did this myself, only I was a bass player. I can personaly recommend this as it improves your singing (you're not trying to concentrate on doing two things at one) which will also improve the overall sound of your band, and you don't have to lug a guitar, amp, and other associated guitar equipment to gigs and set it up. ;)

Zing!

Couple things to add:

Singing, even on an elementary level can only improve your general sense of musicianship.

PC as in 'Politically Correct' or as in computers? I'm guessing the latter. Everyone knows that nerds are the new jocks. He's an asset, not a liability. Start with website skills and go from there.

So he's not one of the cool kids. Go back through the countless interviews of big rock starts out there - and even a lot of the minor ones. They were the ones that WEREN'T popular in high school. Being a nerd was what drove them into music in the first place!

CT

Souls United
02-17-2008, 12:16 PM
kick him out...'nuff said

maniac111
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
So what if he's not popular? I don't see how he is dragging you down. He brought you a bassist, because of his computer skills he can handle the myspace page. The only way he's dragging you down is that he didn't want to be a drummer, but that's just as bad as you not wanting to do vocals. In my opinion, you should either make the 3 guitarists thing work, convert to singing, or kick someone out. I wouldn't consider kicking out friend B because he could be used to an advantage. If he's really holding you back, you should kick him out, but you haven't explained yet how he's in any way holding you back.

mh400nt
02-17-2008, 03:23 PM
because of his computer skills he can handle the myspace page.
Shut up, a badger could handle a myspace page.

Also everyone shut up about the 3 guitars, it will almost certainly sound like total toss, 3 kids trying to do three different things? Get real

wolfy808
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
or maybe one of you guys can drop the guitar and play keyboard instead...
or you can combine both keyboard and guitar and buy a key-tar
or you can just have 3 guitars

RedFez64
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Shut up, a badger could handle a myspace page.

Also everyone shut up about the 3 guitars, it will almost certainly sound like total toss, 3 kids trying to do three different things? Get real

If crap musicians are involved, a power trio can sound like people doing different things and there are far too many great bands with three guitarists for that to be a statement to listen too seriously to

SlackerBabbath
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Also everyone shut up about the 3 guitars,
No, I won't shut up, because 3 guitars is easy, just because you might not have been able to make it work, doesn't mean someone else can't. Jeez, it's only one more than two y'know. :rolleyes:
You can have all three playing the same thing, which (as long as everyone's tuned up correctly) gives you a huge sound, or you can have two playing the rhythm while another does the solos, as in many studio recordings, or you can have one doing rhythm while the other two harmonise, also as in many studio recordings or you can have all three guitars harmonising, again, as done in many studio recordings. Infact, when you think about it, so many bands overdub that much guitar in their recordings, it'd probably be impossible to re-create most of it without having three guitars.

Gicci
02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions,

Nailed it.
Except for the "used him" part... bassist was a lucky find, we already knew one but he was better.

To explain further,

Our gigs will probably focus around the school, which means the audiences will be my mates in school, etc. Most of my mates know that I'm a guitar freak, and they're very eager to see me play with our band.
This is the stupidest reason ever, but honestly, I feel like I need to prove myself as a guitar player by playing guitar in the band. Me being a vocalist is... just not right, because Friend A and I started with the plan that we'd both play guitar.

And the friend... not like a Iowntheinternet kind of PC geek, but more of a Isurfon4chanallthetime kind of PC geek.
Kind of like a guy who if everyone's watching a pr0n video... he'd be watching Star trek.

You can have all three playing the same thing, which (as long as everyone's tuned up correctly) gives you a huge sound, or you can have two playing the rhythm while another does the solos, as in many studio recordings, or you can have one doing rhythm while the other two harmonise, also as in many studio recordings or you can have all three guitars harmonising, again, as done in many studio recordings. Infact, when you think about it, so many bands overdub that much guitar in their recordings, it'd probably be impossible to re-create most of it without having three guitars.

Hmm... I never thought about that.
We do J-rock/ Pop rock songs (targeted for the audiences, mind you), which rarely(if at all) has 3 guitars.
I'm just afraid, that if we play the exact same thing, he'll start wanting me to quit guitar and focus on vocals.

dullsilver_mike
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Remind me again how quitting guitar and being the lead singer, the frontman, the most noticible and memorable member of most bands, hurts your ego? I'm going to whip out the lead singer stereotype here and suggest that's where the big ego belongs lol. If you're absolutely set on only having two guitarists, I say remove the least talented one, not the nerdiest one. You've never even mentioned the skill level of the three respective guitar players including yourself. If you are the worst and want to only have 2 guitars, switch to vocals. If the other "cool" guitarist is worse than the nerdy guy, kick him out, if the nerdy guy is the worst, by all means let him go for being a bad musician, not a nerd.

Of course how well someone gets along with the band is important, but leaving the talent factor out alltogether seems like a mistake here.

mason092
02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

I say option 2 is the best. Why in the world would you kick him out because of his other interests?

SlackerBabbath
02-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestions,

Nailed it.
Except for the "used him" part... bassist was a lucky find, we already knew one but he was better.

To explain further,

Our gigs will probably focus around the school, which means the audiences will be my mates in school, etc. Most of my mates know that I'm a guitar freak, and they're very eager to see me play with our band.
This is the stupidest reason ever, but honestly, I feel like I need to prove myself as a guitar player by playing guitar in the band. Me being a vocalist is... just not right, because Friend A and I started with the plan that we'd both play guitar.

And the friend... not like a Iowntheinternet kind of PC geek, but more of a Isurfon4chanallthetime kind of PC geek.
Kind of like a guy who if everyone's watching a pr0n video... he'd be watching Star trek.
Hey... there's nothing wrong with Star Trek. Infact, I'd say it's a damn sight more inspiring from a song writing prespective than a mucky movie.
So, the whole purpose for the band being put together is basicaly just for you to show off on the guitar in front of your mates?
Are you seeing anything wrong with this picture?
Actualy, no, that's not fair of me and I apologise for it, bands are formed for all sorts of weird reasons, and some of them end up being damn good ones too.
Still, as Masonpwiley, just said, 'Why in the world would you kick him out because of his other interests?'
Are you sure it isn't because everyone else at school sees him as being geeky and you don't want to be associated with him incase they start thinking you're geeky too?
If so, you need to rethink. See it more like an opportunity to make his standing among his peers that bit better.
Elvis Costello, Joey Ramone, Mama Cass, Sting, Ozzy Osbourne, (Tony Iommi used to bully him at school and apparently took his dinner money off him regularly) all of these and hundreds of other well known musicians were all unpopular at school or classed as geeky.... until they joined a band.
I'm just assuming here and I might be wrong about your reasons, if so, I apologise for that too.

Hmm... I never thought about that.
We do J-rock/ Pop rock songs (targeted for the audiences, mind you), which rarely(if at all) has 3 guitars.
I'm just afraid, that if we play the exact same thing, he'll start wanting me to quit guitar and focus on vocals.
There are many ways of playing the same thing. You could have one guitar playing full chords and another playing barr chords, even one just playing single strings, like a bass, or you could have one guitar with a treble sound, another with a middle sound, and another with a bass sound, or you could have different effects on them all. Or you could have one person playing electric guitar, another playing acoustic and another playing mandolin, or ukalele, or lute, or sitar or any damn thing you like, What I'm saying is, with three guitars, you have a lot more choice with what you want to do with your sound, the limits have been taken away. You could sound like a standard one or two guitar band, or at the other end of the scale, you could sound like an electric guitar orchestra.
That means that with a bit of thought, experimentation and hard work in the rehearsal room, you could do stuff of such a varied pursuasion that no one in the audience can fail to be impressed.
Now how cool would that be?

As for you singing and playing guitar or just singing, there is a third option. Do it both ways. Sammy Hagar does this, he'll sing a few numbers while also playing guitar, then he'll put the guitar down and just sing, or he'll maybe only have the guitar strapped to him while he's singing for no other reason than to just hit a blistering solo in the middle of an epic tune.

Whitewash77
02-19-2008, 07:09 AM
kick the bassist and make him play bass?

get someone to do keyboard?

idk..

metallicafan616
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
just play with him as rhythm u as lead or whatever and have 3rd guitarist play 3 frets down the fretboard with the lead guitarist and whoever comes up with the first suitable solo solos for each song....dont kick him coz of your ego

razorback_al_31
02-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Be brutal, tell him he's a PC geek and no good enough for the band. If you don't be brutal, you won't get anywhere.

z4twenny
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
just play with him as rhythm u as lead or whatever and have 3rd guitarist play 3 frets down the fretboard

wtf!?!?!?! this makes no sense

and btw TS, you sound like an a$$ for wanting to kick him out cuz he's a dork/nerd. just my 2 cents and just as an fyi once high school is over the dorks are usually the ones who get decent jobs and move outta their parents house. i know for a fact that in my graduating class almost all the "cool" kids are working menial jobs and many of them even went to college just to end up flipping burgers. you should be thankful to this nerd friend and even be nice to him, he might be yer boss one day.

shut_up_n00b
02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Just kick him out, but not because he's not popular or anything; kick him out if he's not up to par musically. I think being a guitarist/lead singer is sort of a hassle sometimes. :)

axemanchris
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
once high school is over the dorks are usually the ones who get decent jobs and move outta their parents house. i know for a fact that in my graduating class almost all the "cool" kids are working menial jobs and many of them even went to college just to end up flipping burgers. you should be thankful to this nerd friend and even be nice to him, he might be yer boss one day.

And subsequently will get the chicks. No girl would take a burger flipper over a VP of Marketing with an MBA and a six-figure salary.

In other words.... nerds are the new jocks. Learn to love it. :cool:

CT

Gicci
02-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Hey... there's nothing wrong with Star Trek. Infact, I'd say it's a damn sight more inspiring from a song writing prespective than a mucky movie.
[So, the whole purpose for the band being put together is basicaly just for you to show off on the guitar in front of your mates?

Are you sure it isn't because everyone else at school sees him as being geeky and you don't want to be associated with him incase they start thinking you're geeky too?
If so, you need to rethink. See it more like an opportunity to make his standing among his peers that bit better.

Well...kinda. :sad:
Honestly speaking, I guess I had that somewhere in my mind. I just didn't want to disappoint my mates... I felt like I needed to show off. :(

That means that with a bit of thought, experimentation and hard work in the rehearsal room, you could do stuff of such a varied pursuasion that no one in the audience can fail to be impressed.
Now how cool would that be?

As for you singing and playing guitar or just singing, there is a third option. Do it both ways. Sammy Hagar does this, he'll sing a few numbers while also playing guitar, then he'll put the guitar down and just sing, or he'll maybe only have the guitar strapped to him while he's singing for no other reason than to just hit a blistering solo in the middle of an epic tune.

yeah.... I'm starting to visualize how cool that would be. Until now I assumed that I wouldn't be able to play guitar as much with 3 guitarists... but now I know that's not the case. Come to think of it, I can have 3 backup chorus guys in there too!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm kinda starting to see this in a new perspective... :p:

SlackerBabbath
02-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Well...kinda. :sad:
Honestly speaking, I guess I had that somewhere in my mind. I just didn't want to disappoint my mates... I felt like I needed to show off. :(
Any 'mates' of yours that would mock you because you have someone they regard as a geek in your band wouldn't actualy be, in all definition of the word, your 'mates.'
Don't let your peers rule what direction you want to take in life, that just makes you a sheep.
Think for yourself, be a man, and do what you think is right, not what you think your 'mates' would have you do.

yeah.... I'm starting to visualize how cool that would be. Until now I assumed that I wouldn't be able to play guitar as much with 3 guitarists... but now I know that's not the case. Come to think of it, I can have 3 backup chorus guys in there too!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm kinda starting to see this in a new perspective... :p:

Nice one. ;)

Yeah, with three backing singers, you can do 4 part harmonies, which just sound incredible when done live. Get it right and you can even stop playing for a few bars and let the vocals take over in an a cappella style, then have the band blast back in. The contrasting dynamics you could build with this type of line-up are just begging to be investigated.

It's all about looking at your situation and seeing the advantages that you have.
Stick with that concept, and I do believe you'll go a long way.

KRSplat
02-23-2008, 02:12 AM
a Isurfon4chanallthetime kind of PC geek
I stopped reading this thread to say that you should get rid of him just for that.

Just kidding. I loathe 4chan, that's all. You have a spare member with talent! Utilize that fact. Like someone before me said, try having someone play an instrument similar to guitar, but with a different sound. Add some interesting percussion to certain songs. Someone could take up an instrument on the side and throw that into a song. This is an opportunity, not a burden. Diversify your sound.

Armagedn
02-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I strongly suggest haveing someone switch to keyboard. A keyboard is a great asset.

alaub1491
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I strongly suggest haveing someone switch to keyboard. A keyboard is a great asset.

couldnt agree with you more...

of course if the person can play keyboard.

a bad sounding or ridiculously simple and annoying keyboard line can be the downfall of a band as can a too complex keyboard line. im gonna have to say unless someone actually knows how to play the keyboard, i wouldnt go for it because finding a keyboard balance can be extremely hard. I know, ive been playing keys for several bands for years.

but on topic, i dont think you should kick the guy out. the whole thing sounds like it could be really tight. a pop rock band with awesome solos, interesting guitar parts, cool acapella vocals, and excellent musicianship? now who does that sound like....*cough*thebeatles*cough*

Bubonic Chronic
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Be a man and level with him. Ultimately, too, this is just a high school band.

The whole world laughed at Metallica when Jason left, don't be like that. Simply tell the guy his services are not needed.

It's called respect, not the respect of a friend or of a fellow musician, just of a fellow human being.

One thing you might try is playing bass yourself. It's a lot of fun, and practically no one sings and plays. Sting and Geddy Lee are all that come to mind...and Roger Waters.

Not a bad list of bassists, eh? Good singers, too.

Bass is loads of fun. I'm a lead/classical guitarist myself, but will often opt for bass because it's less to worry about ego-wise. I feel like an evil mad scientist behind the scenes of the chords structure, like:

You thought this was Major, IT'S DIMINISHED NOW!!! :haha

Then people think you're a genius because you moved down a fret. Brilliant. Bass is awesome.

gald
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't have much to add, I just find it kind of amusing that you expected him to learn an entire new instrument but refuse to lay down you're guitar for the sake of the band.

There's nothing that says you can't pick up your guitar for a solo or riff here and there. Besides that, your ego :rolleyes: should be sufficiently stroked singing as they get the most attention anyways.

reedplaysgeetar
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
heres how it has to go down just call all the guys except him and be like band practices are on friday nits at 7-10
and he wont be there and the guys will ask and youll be like ya hes out because he was holding you talented mofos back

MetalMusicianAl
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
vote on it.

alaub1491
02-27-2008, 12:29 AM
heres how it has to go down just call all the guys except him and be like band practices are on friday nits at 7-10
and he wont be there and the guys will ask and youll be like ya hes out because he was holding you talented mofos back

you fail at being in a band. this kid has never done anything wrong and the TS never commented on his skills. how would you like if some band did that to you? in fact i hope it happens.

TS dont listen to ignorant ****s like this. just maturely decide if he is good or not and openly tell him with respect to him as a human, musician, and friend.

ledhed68
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
And, though kind of wrong, friend B is a bit... off. All the other guys (including me) are on the more popular side of the school, while friend B is like... a PC geek. That's why he's only a "friend" to many.

I can honestly say from that, you are an asshole. Besides isn't that a little hypocritical, I mean you are calling him a PC Geek and someone that surfs 4chan all the time, while you yourself belong to a website like UG and post on the forum. Anyway, grow up, music isn't about being "cool" its about music.

Tsunoyukami
02-29-2008, 12:35 PM
You could sing primarily, but join in on guitar at select parts.

You could learn to play piano and do that while singing. Or one of the other guitarists may play piano sometimes so you would be able to play guitar then.

JoshCrawford
02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Whos better on the guitar? Friend A or Friend B?

Kick the worst guitarist.

kidcasino
03-03-2008, 03:58 AM
No offence but I dont think friend A nor friend B need to get kicked out. You do. Your starting a band to show off to your friends? Sounds to me like your the major problem in this band.

JoshuaCparson
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds to me like you're being very judgemental. You say that the reason you guys haven't done anything is all because of him? What the heck does the fact that he is not as popular or as cool as you have to do with ANYTHING? You guys play music and that's pretty freaking cool in itself if you ask me.
Dude, my band has three guitars and we make it work. (although one is our lead singer so he sings a lot more than strums)
In conclusion, you should just learn to accept him and seize the advantages of having 3 guitarists (think of the harmonies you could do...two guitars play a fast harmony solo, while guitar three plays power chords) or you should just start a new band since you're too cool to be in a band that has a guy who's not as popular as you.

JoshuaCparson
09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I can tell you have some serious ego problems. No one outside your highschool knows who you are. You're NOTHING and so is he. But HE doesn't care. He's in your band to make awesome music, not to be a jerk. Do you think he would want to kick you out if he read this forum? (and somehow knew that it was about him) dude you need to learn to accept people nerds are not bad people they're just people who don't care what the world thinks of them. That's why they can get so far in life. That's why popular people can't...they are bound. they can't do anything because they can't get away with anything. they have no slack.

axemanchris
09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Holy necro!! Where did this come from?! The thread is a year and a half old!!

CT

dookiewarrior
10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
This really bothers me, all the stuff about ego and thinking that you should kick somebody out of a band because hes not "popular". If you are playing in a band to make yourslef look cool and get girls. Then go **** yourself, because being in a band shouldnt be about how cool it makes you or how many fans you have, it should be about making music, and enjoying it, not strumming some chords and having girls jump all over you and people asking for your autograph. People like you really get on my nerves and need to get out of the music buisness, because musicans dont need people like you running around looking cute and bragging about yourself. I think that you should let person B stay in your band and you shouldnt judge who your friends are by how popular they are. That is ****ing bull****

Alex Vik
10-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Sounds to me like you're being very judgemental. You say that the reason you guys haven't done anything is all because of him? What the heck does the fact that he is not as popular or as cool as you have to do with ANYTHING? You guys play music and that's pretty freaking cool in itself if you ask me.
Dude, my band has three guitars and we make it work. (although one is our lead singer so he sings a lot more than strums)
In conclusion, you should just learn to accept him and seize the advantages of having 3 guitarists (think of the harmonies you could do...two guitars play a fast harmony solo, while guitar three plays power chords) or you should just start a new band since you're too cool to be in a band that has a guy who's not as popular as you.
Why? Why would you bump this? He's probably not even in this band anymore.

GrisKy
10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
but if we keep bumping it, we'll be ahead of the curve for the reunion tour! :haha:

Jonny Ryan Mac
10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Just read the whole thread in one swoop, the ending hit me like the "usual suspects."

I AM KAISER SOZE!

Edit - What if that PC Geek Kid was Rivers Como.......

axemanchris
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Time to go back and die.... again.

:haha

CT