Open Mic Night

PDA

View Full Version : Open Mic Night

ameer
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
This thursday, my University is having a generic open mic night for poetry, music, etc to relieve the stress of winter term finals. I've been asked to perform; it'll be my first solo gig, and I'm not quite sure on the angle to take:
Should I play and sing something that's mostly rhythmic chords since it's going to be just me with no backing? Thoughts here include RHCP- Under the Bridge, Soul to Squeeze, Jimi - Little Wing, Angel, Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here, etc. Would soloing sound good in this context? It seems to me that without backing it would sound somewhat bland, but I have a tendency to overestimate the requirements to make something sound good.
Thoughts? I'm extremely nervous/excited.

C_Miller
02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
This thursday, my University is having a generic open mic night for poetry, music, etc to relieve the stress of winter term finals. I've been asked to perform; it'll be my first solo gig, and I'm not quite sure on the angle to take:
Should I play and sing something that's mostly rhythmic chords since it's going to be just me with no backing? Thoughts here include RHCP- Under the Bridge, Soul to Squeeze, Jimi - Little Wing, Angel, Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here, etc. Would soloing sound good in this context? It seems to me that without backing it would sound somewhat bland, but I have a tendency to overestimate the requirements to make something sound good.
Thoughts? I'm extremely nervous/excited.

If possible I'd play acoustic, because the acoustic has a natrually fuller sound. And while you can solo, I wouldn't do long, extended solo passages, but quicker little fills. Also, I'd try to include as many "chords" and double stops as possible in the solo to fill out the sound more. I'm not saying this is the only way to sound good, I'm just talking from my only experiences.

JLT73
02-17-2008, 01:37 PM
being your first solo gig, keep it simple.
no long hard solos, only play ear candy

GITARdud391
02-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I just played my first show last Thursday and it was an open mic at my high school. I'd definitely say do something acoustic. One guy there actually played Under The Bridge, although he wasn't that good. It might've just been his nerves but it wasn't exactly the most pleasant thing to listen to. Do something you feel really comfortable playing, it'll make performing a lot easier. Also, if you do a song everyone knows, people will really dig it. One girl did Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) at the end of the show and everyone was singing along.

yogurt_overdose
02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend many (if any) solos. I was at an open mic night and one guy went up with his electric and played a Jimi Hendrix song.....might have been all along the watchtower.....anyways, he got to the solo and it was sooooo boring. Would've sounded passable with a band or at least another guitarist.

So definitely go for the more rhythmic approach, especially as it's your first gig