Blues Duels Round 2: GD_GC vs. Sam i am

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels Round 2: GD_GC vs. Sam i am

GD_GC
02-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Well here we go, round 2 of the UG Blues Duels!

For this match up we have me, against sam i am, and it promises to be a good one.

GD_GC "Acoustic Little Wing (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GD_GC/)"

Sam i am "Playground Blues (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sam i am)"

May the best bluesman win!

:cheers:

meh!
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
GD_GC has my vote. Playground blues was quite fun, but a bit out of tune and not *that* interesting to listen to.

GD_GC's is played better and is more interesting to listen to, thought to be fair to Sam I am the most interesting part GD's ...he didn't write :p:

Dimebag22
02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
GD gets my vote! :)

Sam I Am, your piece was a bit out of tune, and pretty good slide playing, but guitar sounded a bit funny, sorry. (It's a lot better than my slide playing :p: ) I really liked it when you came in without the slide though. If you would have done the whole piece like that, it MIGHT have got my vote.

I liked the fact that Sam I Am wrote the backing track (You did right?) But GDs was more interesting.

sam i am
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I did the backing track, that is correct. Mine sounds out of tune because I am a godawful slide player, and because my guitar is badly intonated, and because I don't think it was perfectly in tune to start with.

I just wanted to do something a little different than just soloing over a backing track.

TeXaS_db
02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I voted for GD's,
his playing was a lil better.
but i did like sam i am's, but it couldn't compete with GD's.

TeXaS_db
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to do something a little different than just soloing over a backing track.

i really respect u for doing that, because what most ppl do is find a backing track and put a solo on it, and that gets old after a while. there is nothing wrong with that tho.

but anyways if u keep up the slide playing, u should get better. i picked up slide while back and the more i played the more better and in tune i got. so keep it up.

ze monsta
02-17-2008, 03:50 PM
GD's was just more interesting to listen to, but some great playing from sam i am. It wasn't that it was out of tune, coz to be honest when you listen to the great slide players like Son House, Blind Willie Johnson or whoever esle they aren't in tune either. I think Playground blues really would be great if there was vocals.

GD gets my vote I'm afraid. but both of you did a great job.
:golfclap:

gopherthegreat
02-17-2008, 04:10 PM
GC_DC gets my vote. there was good playing on both sides, though.

aetherspear
02-17-2008, 05:55 PM
GD_GC-I'm pretty tired of hearing little wing covers, but you put an excellent spin on it. Nice rhythm and lead playing, although I thought it might have gone on for a bit too long.

sam i am-I really liked the song as a whole, good groove to it. Slide playing wasn't horribly out of tune, and I really liked when you took of the slide for the second guitar part, that sounded really cool. The ending kind of let me down though. Good recording quality too.

JimmyStradlin33
02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I voted for GDs for the same reason as people are listing here. To be fair sam i am should get credit for doing something a little different.

urik
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
From an improvisation and technique POV, GD_GC was better.
But Sam i am deserves so much for making an original tune and using a slide and the creativity...

SO hard to pick one :(.
I think that I'll go for GD_GC but Sam, your tune was awesome.

claptonfan55
02-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Sam i am, because i love the sound of slide guitar. GD_GC's was cool, but it wasn't original. Sam's was a bit out of tune perhaps, but overall, I liked it better.

MrBlues
02-18-2008, 02:43 AM
GD_GC's i feel come out on top.

Sam i am's was great to listein to but i got bored with it and i quite liked what GD_GC did to to the song. but congrats to both of you!

Amart
02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Mine goes to Sam I Am. Sorry GD_GC, but Little Wing has been completely milked dry for me.

GD_GC
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
*bump*

Dimebag22
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
*bump* We need more voters!

GD_GC
02-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah we do, let's go people!

5kuzgib
02-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Sam I am for me. Both were good, but he had the balls to play slide, and I wouldn't class Little Wing as Blues really.

But great playing from both :)

urik
02-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Why do you bump if it's a sticky :confused: ?

GD_GC
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Why do you bump if it's a sticky :confused: ?

Because it sends it to the top of the new posts page.

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 04:12 PM
:eek: One more day! :p:

GD_GC
02-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey dimebag, Do you have your song done yet?

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey dimebag, Do you have your song done yet?
Yeah, I think so... I might try to do another one today but I fucked up my shoulder the other day. I think I might have cracked a bone. :( But I have a couple videos on my YouTube Channel that I might submit. I'm gonna watch them all again and choose the best one. If you want, it would be helpful if you looked at them and told me which one you liked the best :)

:cheers: bro.

sam i am
02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
:eek: One more day! :p:

not that it'll make much difference.... :(

I was gonna do a blues version of kanye west's gold digger if I got through and everything.

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 04:41 PM
not that it'll make much difference.... :(

I was gonna do a blues version of kanye west's gold digger if I got through and everything.
You can still make it and put it up on your profile :) That actually sounds sweet.

But hey dude, how do you record your stuff? Like mics, software ect. I would really like to know because I want to get a good mic for recording i think.

GD_GC
02-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I think so... I might try to do another one today but I fucked up my shoulder the other day. I think I might have cracked a bone. :( But I have a couple videos on my YouTube Channel that I might submit. I'm gonna watch them all again and choose the best one. If you want, it would be helpful if you looked at them and told me which one you liked the best :)

:cheers: bro.

Will do man. By the way, I was checking out some of your videos in that UG's Blues Bands thread or whatever it was called, and did you do a jam with the same backing track as what I used for hte 1st round of the duels? I thought it sounded like it but I couldn't tell. Sounded good though.

:cheers:

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah I did :haha. It wasn't nearly as good as yours though :p: I really need to get a new microphone. I might go in to the store this weekend and see if I can pick something up.

GD_GC
02-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Well I got mine at Target :haha it was the cheapest laptop mic they had, and I can actually get a decent sound out of it. Don't ask me how that worked out. :haha

sam i am
02-23-2008, 06:27 PM
You can still make it and put it up on your profile :) That actually sounds sweet.

But hey dude, how do you record your stuff? Like mics, software ect. I would really like to know because I want to get a good mic for recording i think.

I have a blog on all my recording gear. For that i was using an old(ish) beyerdynamic. it is a vocal mic but its good quality, and dynamic mics are pretty versatile.

I would go and ask in the R&R forums if you haven't already, but you can't go wrong with an SM57.

Dimebag22
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I have a blog on all my recording gear. For that i was using an old(ish) beyerdynamic. it is a vocal mic but its good quality, and dynamic mics are pretty versatile.

I would go and ask in the R&R forums if you haven't already, but you can't go wrong with an SM57.
Sweet, so if I got a SM57, I would just plug that into my external mic input right?

sam i am
02-24-2008, 05:45 AM
Sweet, so if I got a SM57, I would just plug that into my external mic input right?

Yep, you'd need an appropriate cable to get it in. Of course, ideally you would want an interface or at least a better preamp lol, depends how much you want to spend.

urik
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Congratulations GD_GC :p:!

Dimebag22
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Woot! Congrats Eric :cheers: