Nerves before a show.

PDA

View Full Version : Nerves before a show.

lunchboxattacks
02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
What do you think is the best way to alleviate nerves before a gig besides having a drink?

rockybo
02-17-2008, 04:40 PM
A fat joint

vulgarmachine
02-17-2008, 04:43 PM
^ lol

urrmm...just imagine the audience as being naked and you'll be fine

(so long as you don't get an erection over a fit guy/girl)

assuming ur a guy

RRRUBEN
02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
screaming, just random yelling helps some people
personally, i whack it haha

timzee117
02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
cigarette

Brad52
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
i whack it haha

that actually works really well if u do it like 20 mins before

sacamano79
02-17-2008, 04:47 PM
i just make sure im warmed up really well and it calms me down, gives confidence you wont f*** up i guess

RedSox_o4
02-17-2008, 04:47 PM
taking a ****, or smoking some hookah:), but i would smoke tobacco out of the hookah

Raijin.xiii
02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
kill half of the crowd with your guitar. if it's still in working condition, continue to play the show. if not, you weren't meant to play.
...medieval reasoning?

SSDDPunkRocker
02-17-2008, 05:49 PM
For some reason, I take like a piss about 20 times before my band's slot. It's so annoying, especially during set-up.

Sucks how my nerves only affect my bladder.

axemanchris
02-17-2008, 07:09 PM
It doesn't matter, really, how nervous you are before you go on. What matters is how long it lasts once your first foot touches the first board on the stage.

Once you play your first chord, sing your first note, whatever, you should be well on your way to being fine.

Think of yourself as an actor and you are acting the part of world-reknowned rock star on the stage. The crowd loves you, and you are ready as anything to deliver. Step outside of yourself. If it goes flat on you, at least it wasn't YOU who screwed up, it was that damned actor. :haha

CT

Guitar_Dan_666
02-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I actually kinda like nerves.

It gives you a really good feeling when you finish playing. :D

GITARdud391
02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Make sure you've practiced a good amount and you feel comfortable with whatever you're playing. Also if you have to, go to the bathroom. Even you don't really have to the walk to the bathroom is a good way to relax and calm your mind.

JLT73
02-17-2008, 09:07 PM
take a ****, get a bj, drink a rockstar energy drink, and then be a rockstar!

stringmagician
02-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I exert some energy through being silly, or moving my stuff in, then drink an energy drink so I have some body energy, but my mind's not flying all over the place.

Zycho
02-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't understand why people get nervous about this stuff. If you've practiced and rehearsed clearly you will perform well. If the audience is there clearly they want to hear you perform. Also, you're getting paid. There's absolutely nothing but awesome about the situation. Unless you can't play your material spotless, in which case why are you embarrassing yourself by playing?

The Faded Line
02-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't understand why people get nervous about this stuff. If you've practiced and rehearsed clearly you will perform well. If the audience is there clearly they want to hear you perform. Also, you're getting paid. There's absolutely nothing but awesome about the situation. Unless you can't play your material spotless, in which case why are you embarrassing yourself by playing?

Some people (myself included) just get nervous in high-pressure public situations. It doesn't matter how many times I've played live or how many countless hours I've played the songs - the nerves still hit.

It's completely natural. I find the best way to take off the edge is a refreshing brew (or two or three).

EDIT: Just saw the TS's disclaimer about "besides a drink". Another thing I do is try to remember that I am my own worst critic. When playing live... half the crowd is drunk and (chances are) they cannot single you out of the mix, no matter how well your sound tech set your levels. Just remember that they don't think you're playing poorly, you're just super amplifying every minuscule mistake you make.

axemanchris
02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
... half the crowd is drunk and (chances are) they cannot single you out of the mix, no matter how well your sound tech set your levels.

One band I was in where I was really starting to dislike the other guitar player.... whenever I screwed something up, I'd give a funny look at the other guitarist. The audience always thought it was him. Kinda like farting near some hapless victim and walking away, leaving everyone else to think it was him.

:haha

Aside from that, though, I wouldn't say I get nervous. I'm totally confident enough, but I get really agitated during the time between sound check and performance time. I just want to get up and play , and can't stand waiting around when everything else is otherwise ready to go.

As a rule, I don't drink before a show. As the singer of the band also, I don't like to muck around with that.

CT

The Faded Line
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
One band I was in where I was really starting to dislike the other guitar player.... whenever I screwed something up, I'd give a funny look at the other guitarist. The audience always thought it was him. Kinda like farting near some hapless victim and walking away, leaving everyone else to think it was him.

:haha

Aside from that, though, I wouldn't say I get nervous. I'm totally confident enough, but I get really agitated during the time between sound check and performance time. I just want to get up and play , and can't stand waiting around when everything else is otherwise ready to go.

As a rule, I don't drink before a show. As the singer of the band also, I don't like to muck around with that.

CT

Harsh, but funny analogy! Poor bastage!

I'm a firm believer in case-sensitive learning, therefore if I'm not down 3 or 4 beers before playing a show, I'm not playing the show how I practice, and I'll suck donkey balls.

Zander155
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Get there early. I am incredibly nervous if I don't get to gigs on time. Do I have all my equipment? Is everyone else ready? Am I tuned? Do I know my set list?

SpiritOfRadio11
02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
I usually just kinda talk to other people that are there. Get a bunch of friends to come and chill with them or just talk to random people form other bands and whatnot. Then when it comes time to play, the nerves pretty much disapear.

Strati
02-22-2008, 04:00 AM
I got my fir4st gig with my band in two weeks, and I plan to smoke a nice joint before, since I know that I play better that way.

axemanchris
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Rarely the case.

Consider: Pot relaxes you... yes.... but it does things like slow your reaction time and relaxes your judgement. As a result of slowed reaction time, your playing will probably be sloppier as you are less able to adapt to circumstances in your playing you might otherwise be able to correct. As a result of relaxed judgement, you'll be more forgiving or accepting/complacent of poor timing and tuning. All of those things point to a poorer performance - though in your altered state, *you* will perceive it as better.

Also consider state dependent learning. If you are not high when you learn, you should not be high when you perform.

I've jammed with loads of people who swore they play better with a couple of joints in them. Most of them sucked. One guy in particular was your classic "I just smoked one joint and now I'm a God like Hendrix" types. He was louder than anything else in the room, including the drummer, and insisted on wanking off over a 12 bar blues in E. He had some okay licks and stuff, but after a while of barely being able to hear ourselves and getting tired of playing the same 12 bars over and over, the bass player and I decided to have some fun with him. I walked over to the bass player and screamed into his ear "key of F at the turnaround!" So, we changed keys as suggested. The doped-up guitar god went on for three more rounds, playing in the wrong bloody key before the rest of us decided to pull the 'big finish' and stop. At the end, guitar god pipes up and says "That was sounding so awesome, why'd you stop?" :rolleyes:

CT

SlackerBabbath
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Rarely the case.

Consider: Pot relaxes you... yes.... but it does things like slow your reaction time and relaxes your judgement. As a result of slowed reaction time, your playing will probably be sloppier as you are less able to adapt to circumstances in your playing you might otherwise be able to correct. As a result of relaxed judgement, you'll be more forgiving or accepting/complacent of poor timing and tuning. All of those things point to a poorer performance - though in your altered state, *you* will perceive it as better.

Also consider state dependent learning. If you are not high when you learn, you should not be high when you perform.

CT
Agreed, although I'm not really one to talk as I've been on stage in all sorts of states, but I can tell you from experience that it's easier if your straight and have all your wits about you and the audience in turn get's a better gig to watch, and after all, that's why you're playing a gig in the first place isn't it? To entertain an audience?
You want to be nervous before a gig, because it's this nervous energy, that shot of adrenalin, that get's you through the gig.
The best advice I can give you is to make sure your first couple of songs are the ones that are the easiest to play, or the ones that you know best. This way, your nerves will have settled down a bit by the end of the second song because it'll just seem easy to you, and you'll be able to relax a bit and start having fun.
Think of it this way, it's the nerves that make it fun. It's the nerves that makes you feel you've achieved something after a successful gig, without the nerves, it'd be boring.
It's like dangerous sports, no one would do them if it didn't frighten them, and tattoos, no one would have them if it didn't hurt.
Nervousness is your friend, just learn how to control it and it'll work to your advantage.

GLandolina
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Make sure you're warm, its good. maybe have a drink or two to calm you - if you drink.
use the time productively, tune up. do some vocal scales or exercises.

BrianApocalypse
02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
For some reason, I take like a piss about 20 times before my band's slot. It's so annoying, especially during set-up.

Sucks how my nerves only affect my bladder.

I get that exact same problem. I don't get nervous, I just get anxious to get started, and need a leak every 15 minutes. Once I get going I find I'm all knotted up at that end, which is good.

It's annoying as f*ck.

I've not tried getting high a few hours before the gig though, so maybe that'd work.

gallagher2006
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I've been gigging quite regularly for about a year now, be it full band or acoustic, and I've yet to find a way to get over it :haha

I generally find after 3-4 songs, you just stop noticing and start having fun anyways.

SlackerBabbath
02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I get that exact same problem. I don't get nervous, I just get anxious to get started, and need a leak every 15 minutes.
Me too!
Apparently it's a reaction to the nervousness. Your body, because you are nervous, automaticaly starts the 'fight or flight' reaction that we all get when we're scared of something. You're reactions are speeded up (which is obviously a good thing) and your body tries to dump any exess weight you're carrying, such as the p!ss in your bladder, in readiness to run for your life.
The longer the amount of time that you're nervous, the more you'll want to p!ss, even if there's hardly anything left to p!ss.

xrawrockkillsx
02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I actually kinda like nerves.

It gives you a really good feeling when you finish playing. :D

:cheers:

as long as it doesnt cause shaky vocals... but the nerves just adds to the thrill of playing live.