Bandleading little lessons

PDA

View Full Version : Bandleading little lessons

garage_kid
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
i need someone give me some advices, or lessons, about how to be a good band leader, 'cause i'm think about start a band, so, i'd like to know how to find good bandmates, and how to build a song with the band, i know how to write songs, and the guitar melody, but i don't know how to put the bass and the drums..., so, it's like a short and little lessons :p: :) ...

atlasguitar
02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I am kind of in a similar boat but my band is just starting out and so far it is going pretty well. I found my drummer in the High school Band and she was the percussionist. She is really good because of her formal training and can keep time like a professional. I also found my bassist in the Orchestra playing up right bass. It is so much easier making music with people who know what they are talking about. So even though it is cheesy, look in school bands you might find some musicians that want to play in a rock band with you. For the other info read the forums, a lot of people are asking the same questions. Hope I helped.

Mr.Cuddles
02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
i i'd like to know how to find good bandmates, and how to build a song with the band, i know how to write songs, and the guitar melody, but i don't know how to put the bass and the drums..., so, it's like a short and little lessons :p: :) ...
red= theres a column on this i belive

not red= learn your theory.

Techtonic
02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Just know what you are doing.

stringmagician
02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
It'll come with time

garage_kid
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I am kind of in a similar boat but my band is just starting out and so far it is going pretty well. I found my drummer in the High school Band and she was the percussionist. She is really good because of her formal training and can keep time like a professional. I also found my bassist in the Orchestra playing up right bass. It is so much easier making music with people who know what they are talking about. So even though it is cheesy, look in school bands you might find some musicians that want to play in a rock band with you. For the other info read the forums, a lot of people are asking the same questions. Hope I helped.

oh, yeh, thnk u very much, and i wish you luck, to you and your bandmates :D

The Rambler
02-18-2008, 10:30 PM
If you're the band leader, be assertive, but don't be too uptight. Have a plan of what you want to work on (this all helps if you're the main songwriter, too), and stick to it. If you're getting caught up on a song, shelf it for the time being and move on to something else. That keeps you from getting too frustrated and you'll get more done. However, don't be a dictator during rehearsal; let everyone have fun. If people want to screw around a little bit and joke, that's fine as long as it's not too distracting from work.

[EDIT]: And make a band of musicians who are friends, not friends who are (or are becoming) musicians. It's easier to make friends than it is to make musicians.

garage_kid
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
emmmm, i'm sure i'd be the main songwriter, i got about 7 written songs already, and i've asked people about the songs, and people said "it's a really good material, considerating you're a novice" (and things like that), but i think i have to practice during a little more time (about 2 or 3 months), and then, i'm gonna start my search.

and, once again, thnks fr the advices... :peace:

shut_up_n00b
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
If you're the band leader, be assertive, but don't be too uptight. Have a plan of what you want to work on (this all helps if you're the main songwriter, too), and stick to it. If you're getting caught up on a song, shelf it for the time being and move on to something else. That keeps you from getting too frustrated and you'll get more done. However, don't be a dictator during rehearsal; let everyone have fun. If people want to screw around a little bit and joke, that's fine as long as it's not too distracting from work.

[EDIT]: And make a band of musicians who are friends, not friends who are (or are becoming) musicians. It's easier to make friends than it is to make musicians.
+1 I had to learn the hard way.

Just be all around nice, but be ready to work. And also, be patient if your bandmates aren't s experienced as you are. I made the mistake of having friends become musicians, so I have to be kinda patient if they can't play something at the right tempo or something.

The Rambler
02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I was smart enough to get a really good bassist, a drum captain in a nationally ranked marching band, and a certified genius in my band. I'm just the one who writes the music and sings, haha.

bt99
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
the band leader is the 1 who is always wrighting songs,picking every1 up for gigs,taking control when every1 is screwing around and always stoping the fights

SlackerBabbath
02-20-2008, 08:12 PM
i need someone give me some advices, or lessons, about how to be a good band leader, 'cause i'm think about start a band, so, i'd like to know how to find good bandmates, and how to build a song with the band, i know how to write songs, and the guitar melody, but i don't know how to put the bass and the drums..., so, it's like a short and little lessons :p: :) ...

The band leader is a kinda cross between a politition a manager and a hostage negotiator.
He's the guy who motivates the rest of the band and inspires them, he's the guy with the plan, he's the guy who finds all the recources, such as the best place to get posters and t-shirts printed, he's the guy who sorts the bookings out, he's the guy who arranges transport, he's the 'go between' guy who settles disputes within the band and comes up with an answer that everyone's happy with, he's the guy that makes sure everyone turns up to rehearsals, hell, he's the guy who organised the rehearsal.
But above all, he's the guy who's took the time to get to know everyone in the band well enough to know how to get the best out of everyone in the band, and then he's the guy who knows how to delegate some of the above jobs to the rest of the band so that he doesn't have too much to do.... but then secretly checks up on everyone to make sure they're doing their delegated jobs properly.

How to find good band mates.
The most important thing when looking for band members is NOT playing ability. Obviously they have to be up to some sort of standard but it is far more important to find people you can get along with and who can get along with each other. A group of people who feel comortable in each others company.
The addage goes that playing ability can always be built upon and improved, but if someone's a dick head, they'll probably be a dick head for the rest of their lives.
Firstly, look towards people who you know already, guys who can play that you know you already get along with, if nothing comes from this, or non of your friend know anyone that might be interested, then advertise.
Putting a notice up in local music shops are always the favourite to start with, followed by adverts in local press and musician websites.

Building a song with the band.
Take your guitar melody and play it to the drummer, see what he can put to it. Once you have a beat and a melody, that should be enough for the bassist to come up with a bassline that suits the song. Jam it around, try it at different speeds ect. until something just 'clicks' and the whole groove feels 'right.'
Now is the time to decide if you want to place key changes, timing changes, ect. This determins whether a song is going to be a complicated epic or a simple catchy tune.
Add words and away you go.
Of course, this is just one suggestion of how to build, there really isn't any hard and fast rule that says you have to do it a cirtain way.
Personaly, I like to write with the band from word go. Start with the drums, get the drummer to come up with something, then see what the bassist can add, then add guitar and some vocals, then jam it around to sort out verses, choruses, mid song changes, solos ect. But it's also nice to write a full song by yourself and take it to the band to see what they make of it. But it's not a good idea to be too strict about how everyone should play their parts, let them develop it naturaly. It'll make them feel like they've contributed to the song which in turn motivates them to do a better job of it, both in the studio and on stage.

metallicafan616
02-21-2008, 05:54 AM
slacker babbath, would you say theres a structure to follow eg intro verse ect?

you sound like you know what ur talking about with this :)

MadassAlex
02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
The general structure is

Intro
Verse
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Verse/Solo
Chorus
Chorus/Outro Solo

Or similar. Generally, though, you'll notice that many, many rock songs begin with two verses before the chorus and finish with the chorus doubled.

metallicafan616
02-21-2008, 07:16 AM
thanks MaddassAlex!

SlackerBabbath
02-21-2008, 07:29 AM
slacker babbath, would you say theres a structure to follow eg intro verse ect?

you sound like you know what ur talking about with this :)
Well the bog standard is to go;
intro
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
solo
verse
chorus
end

That's basicaly how they did it in the 50s when rock 'n' roll was born and it kinda stuck. But that's also why most rock 'n' roll songs are so catchy, it's the simplicity of the structure that makes them catchy.
But you are free to do it any way you want.
You could have a song that has no chorus at all, (that'd work better if the song was a story of some kind) or you could have three verses before you even hit a chorus. (this gives the chorus, once you get to it, a bigger dynamic because it's more unexpected)
Of course, we haven't even mentioned mid song key changes yet or as some call them, the middle 8 because it's generaly played over 8 bars. But again the choice is yours, you could make it as long or as short as you want, or even leave it out altogether.
A good trick to writing long complicated songs for instance is to actualy write two completely different songs seperately, then merge them together.
Play the first verse, chorus, then another verse from one song, then instead of doing another chorus, go into the first verse from the other song, follow that with maybe a chorus and another verse, play a solo, then go back to the first song. Play another verse and a chorus then have a nice big ending. You just need to concentrate on making the changes seem effortless until it comes naturaly and away you go.
This works nicely if both songs are in different keys because it acts like the middle 8, and even if both songs are differently timed, it just makes the whole song seem more complicated and therefore impressive.
But non of this is a set structure, it's just how I like to do it.
Play around with song structures, try placing verses and choruses in different orders or dropping bits out or adding bits in.

The Rambler
02-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I personally don't know that it's a really good idea to follow set formulas for writing songs... I'd sooner just write, and if I think I need a chorus, I'll have one, but sometimes you don't need one, and sometimes it doesn't have to be after every verse. Just think about it.

Guitar_Obsessed
02-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I personally don't know that it's a really good idea to follow set formulas for writing songs... I'd sooner just write, and if I think I need a chorus, I'll have one, but sometimes you don't need one, and sometimes it doesn't have to be after every verse. Just think about it.

Yeah there are no set rules to music. Just what you think sounds good, or something that suits etc...

garage_kid
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
well, i've been writing with 2 or 3 different structures, i've used the verse/chorus/verse/solo/bridge/verse/outro chorus; or verse/chorus/verse/bridge/solo/outro chorus; and verse/chorus/solo/chorus-bridge/verse/outro chorus. although, in the balads i use chorus/verse/chorus/verse/bridge/solo/verse/chorus.