there should be like a band starting how-to

PDA

View Full Version : there should be like a band starting how-to

xsv434
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
alot of threads about how to start a band,find members, am i good enough? soo someone should write like a ultimate guide to starting a band. i would exceptt im just now starting a band which is kinda why im looking for one lol :p but im sure other people would find it usefull also

SSDDPunkRocker
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Rock-Band

dullsilver_mike
02-19-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Rock-Band

Wow who thought you could go from being completely musically uninitiated to a star in a rock band in 11 easy steps!?!?! :eek:

It wouldn't be bad to see a more elaborate and realistic guide made up in this section, a post about starting a new band seems to pop up several times every week at least.

capiCrimm
02-19-2008, 02:26 AM
Wow who thought you could go from being completely musically uninitiated to a star in a rock band in 11 easy steps!?!?!

Will these steps still work if my volume only goes to 10?

FuzzyBear
02-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Its Not All That Hard

Either

1) Write Some Songs

2) Find Some People

3) Practice

Or

1) Find Some People

2) Write Some Songs

3) Practice

SlackerBabbath
02-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Its Not All That Hard

Either

1) Write Some Songs

2) Find Some People

3) Practice

Or

1) Find Some People

2) Write Some Songs

3) Practice
:haha
It's funny because it's true. That's really all there is to it because, as music is an art form, there really are no set rules to it.
In my opinion, there are far too many bands out there that all want to follow the same standard guitar, bass, drums, vocals, line up and write the standard verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, verse, chorus, format because they think there are some sort of set rules to it.

Professor Grill
02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Only rule I think there is when it comes to making a band is to enjoy what you're doing and develop your own style. It's not a 'band' if you only play other people's music in my opinion, but you can have an effing good time regardless.

Just go with what works, and if it doesn't work, then make it work.

My band has a drummer, a pianist (me), a guitarist, a bagpipist, a digeridoo player, and a violinist.

No, seriously, it does, and it owns. We've won a few competitions, though whether that's because the music is good or because everyone was like wtf has yet to be discovered.

Well, no, that doesn't actually happen. My band only actually has a drummer, pianist and guitarist.

But my future band will have all of the above, and a cool guy with a huge guitar who doesn't actually play but just stands there and on our last gig ever on the last song he plays a single note to finish. Though he'd probably die first.

But it will have a breakdancing gospel choir for vocals, and a pipe band (not playing, just there for lolz)

freshtunes
02-22-2008, 02:22 AM
It's not a 'band' if you only play other people's music in my opinion SOOOOOO not true. Covers are very important to any, and every band. I hate it when people refuse to play covers, they are ignorant.

SlackerBabbath
02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
SOOOOOO not true. Covers are very important to any, and every band. I hate it when people refuse to play covers, they are ignorant.
I do agree with your sentiments, but I don't think covers are quite that important (and this is coming from the singer of a tribute band)
They're good starting point for a band and they're good for pleasing a crowd, but they are not the be all and end all.
It's a matter of personal taste, but the general rule of thumb is that covers get an unknown band gigs, a decent covers band can play gigs almost every night of the week if they put the effort in, but you can only get so far doing nothing but covers.
If you wanna be huge, you have to write your own material, or at least have someone write original material for you.
Once you release recordings, and if they sell well, and if you get plenty of radio air play and TV appearences and all that malarky, then it's the original tunes that are gonna bring in the bread. Even at this stage, there is still room for the odd cover song though, which many already well established bands record and release simply as a form of advertising.
People hear the recording on radio or whatever and buy the album, which is full of original tunes apart from the one cover song.

GLandolina
02-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I personally love covers, but don't put them on albums. they are great for b-sides on singles.
i know you dont have singles over there in the US but essentially they are 3 track discs sold for a few pounds/dollars and a good one generally has:

1. the song itself (sometimes re-recorded for a new take or to keep it fresh)
2. another new track, often one that didnt make the album or that has been written since.
3. a cover. a lot of the time though, bands don't bother here and just stick a remix on.

JagStang5246
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
We have singles here in the US. I've bought quite a few. I son't know where you get your information. Anyways, Bands are fairly easy to start. I just got a few good friends, we jammed and came up with a few songs and now we're a pretty tight band. We'll except for the singer. We haven't one.

KRSplat
02-23-2008, 01:42 AM
My band has a drummer, a pianist (me), a guitarist, a bagpipist, a digeridoo player, and a violinist.
I raise you a harpsichord, an ocarina, a harp, a sitar, a djembe, timbales, and a throat singer.

Professor Grill
02-23-2008, 04:10 AM
I raise you a harpsichord, an ocarina, a harp, a sitar, a djembe, timbales, and a throat singer.

Touche.

guitardude34875
02-23-2008, 11:20 AM
o ya, well, my band has TWO guitarists, a bassist, and....wait...a singer!!! no drummer though, ive now gone to a drum machine, o, burn!!!!!