first jam session

PDA

View Full Version : first jam session

mal209
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Hey guys,

theres a bunch of guys in my house here at school that play interments... half a dozen on guitar, a bass or two, piano/keyboard, and a few brass interments if needed.

The problem is we all play different types of music ranging from 80's metal, to acoustic, to classic 70's punk.

Are there any songs you guys would recommend to get us started in a jam that everyone could enjoy? maybe it will progress to a "band" of sorts.

thanks in advance,
michael.

floyd matt
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
try listening to panic at the disco, the killers, some Ska music.

panic had some keyboards and strings and horns on there first record and on this new one they have some too.

the killers had some on sam's town. Bones is a good song that has it.

just write guitar,bass,drums part than tell the keyboard player to synthnsize it. then throw in some brass to make it sound Alive!!!!

red_hot_chili18
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
make a new genre xD

Dyers
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
u should try make another genre

Kanthras
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Modern big band music? :D

You could start out with some simple chord progressions and have everyone jam out to that.

stradivari310
02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
that's way too many people

callum2903
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
**** man do u understand the idea jam? basicly just get the drums going, get the piano playing a chord prog, follow on guitars and bass, with every instrument finding a riff which fits with each other and solo the **** out of it, thast the buety you dont need a song... but if you reli want a song to go on i would say just someting simple you are know, white stripes or chilis or foo's or herbie handcock, just get a head maybe? try watermelon man or cantaloup if you have the music

dullsilver_mike
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey guys,

half a dozen on guitar [...]

Are there any songs you guys would recommend to get us started in a jam that everyone could enjoy? maybe it will progress to a "band" of sorts.

thanks in advance,
michael.

I just pictured the "orchestra" of metal guitar players playing the national anthem in Idiocracy lol.

edit* I think it would be a bit tricky to orchestrate that for everyone. Why not split up into groups of matched interest as much as possible: two guitarists to each bass player, a couple guitarists to the keyboard player, throw in some horns and let each group roll. You could have a little exhibition/ coffee house setting where each group takes turns jamming.

callum2903
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
that's way too many people
nah not reli i dont think, i ahve the odd jam with a big band i am in before rehersals, and its like a couple trumpets, trombones piano drums bass or two a guitar and some sax's. works fine, but we are all good at music lol i dont no the quality of these guys, but fuc me its gonna be loud

mal209
02-19-2008, 06:10 PM
loud is good, its a frat anyways, so it'd be no different.

Anywho, i just wanted a few basic bands to check out to start out, thanks guys. Sadly, not many of us are very good. Ive been playing the longest (4 years) but i do the whole acoustic thing, so soloing with out any set song might not work out that well.

slayer1516
02-19-2008, 06:10 PM
War Pigs-its a metal tune, but many blues players, rock fans etc. can enjoy it

trey-col89
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't care what you say, nothing is going to sound good with six guitar players, especially if youre just a bunch of kids in a basement. Its just going to sound like big clusterfuck of ripping noise and distortion.