what should HE do?

PDA

View Full Version : what should HE do?

mybandsuks_15
02-20-2008, 01:23 AM
i've been trying to start a band for awhile, right now one of the big problems is of course financal issues, but thats now what i'm asking about. i told one of my best friends about thinking about starting a band and he wanted to join, so i didnt see a problem. first he wanted to be a bass player, but now he wants to be a second guitarist, the problem is most of my songs are arranged for only one guitar, and he's lazy, i show him how to play some of the songs and he says "dude, there's no way i can do that" he also refuses to change his guitar from drop-d into standard tunning, which is what i prefer, so i made a compromise with him and re-wrote the misfits cover version of "this magic moment" to drop-d since its a simple song, and he wont even practice it.

so if you've been able to read through my jumbled thoughts (sorry) what i'm asking is, should i tell him to play bass instead, or just kick him out, cause guitars not really an option?

Ahagin0
02-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Talk to him and explain your problem, if he does not change, be nice about it, but you know, tell him how it is.

I'm fearing I'm about to face the same problem with my best friend, he never wants to change tuning and does not like some genres I would like to play.

imtank
02-20-2008, 01:29 AM
seem to me your friend likes the idea of being in a band but not the work and comittment...find yourself someone who's actully willing to practice and try...or maybe tell him hes being a dick and if he doesnt start trying you'll find someone else

civildp1
02-20-2008, 05:39 AM
sit down with him and tell him that he's gotta start putting work into the group (actually attempting to learn the songs, being in tune with the rest of the band etc) or he's out. Don't give him the option of moving over to bass, these problems will only repeat themselves on that instrument.

VIRUSDETECTED
02-20-2008, 06:09 AM
As stated above, talk to him. If he seems unmoved, or unwilling, then kick him out of the band.

trey-col89
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Well if its just you and him so far, its not really a "band" per se. Tell him to either learn bass or fuck off, theres nothing more frustrating than an extraneous band member that doesn't practice/care/play well.

mybandsuks_15
02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
at times he seems serious, like he's written some lyrics and helped out on the music sometimes, but then other times he's a complete idiot, he told me once that instead of saving money for a bass (at the time thats what he wanted to do) he wanted to buy a trampalen so he coud practice to "be a wresteler". i plan on talking on to him later to find out about how serious he is before i start looking

SlackerBabbath
02-21-2008, 05:15 AM
at times he seems serious, like he's written some lyrics and helped out on the music sometimes, but then other times he's a complete idiot, he told me once that instead of saving money for a bass (at the time thats what he wanted to do) he wanted to buy a trampalen so he coud practice to "be a wresteler". i plan on talking on to him later to find out about how serious he is before i start looking
Sounds like he's the kinda guy who'll give it a go for five minutes then lose interest. Next week he'll probably be wanting to do something else.
Find a drummer. Maybe if the band was more of a 'band' rather than just a couple of guys jamming, it might inspire him to get motivated.
If you do find a drummer, all you'll then need to get started on the band project properly is a bassist. Once he realises this, he may go back to wanting to be the bass player.
Write a song with a complicated guitar line and a simple bass line and run it past him on guitar, when he says 'But I can't do that,' then tell him 'Well it has a pretty simple bass line that you could try if you like.' Get him to play it on the guitar (because neither of you have a bass yet) then compliment him on his playing and say something like 'Man, you're a natural bassist.'
If this doesn't work, find a bass player and just carry on. If he's really struggling on guitar, he'll either start to learn or lose interest altogether and leave.

dullsilver_mike
02-21-2008, 09:09 AM
If he's too lazy to really play guitar, he's too lazy to play bass. Even if he's one of your best buds drop him. You can still jam with your buddy but he is going to be terrible in a band.

Too lazy to not move back and forth between drop d and standard tuning=not ever going to be a musician in my book.

JagStang5246
02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I've been through this problem once. We tried to get him to practice but we ended up firing him before it got to bad. I suggest the same thing. or what Slack said, thats probably a lot better then my advice if you want to still be friends with him.