Need advice.

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.

IceFairY
02-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Alright, well here's the situation. i'm the singer/lead guitarist in a band with a few friends. The bassist and the rhythm guitarist are two of the original members and basically recruited me as a vocalist/guitarist because they couldn't sing at all. The drummer came in later. For the most part, everyone contributes to the songwriting process. All of us have contributed lyrics to at least one song.

My problem is, one of the original members has been writing songs who's lyrics are a bit subpar. (to quote my girlfriend: "Did a 12 year old bubble boy write these?") We've practiced the songs a couple times, but I'm literally embarassed to sing these lyrics even when we're just jamming on our own. Not only this, there is no syllable pattern so in some cases I am going to need to edit the lyrics anyways to even make it possible to sing them. The other guys seem to love the song (but I think it's more they don't care... they usually say if they really do like the song) and the guy who wrote them really likes them. (wants to put them in our set for a show in a couple weeks)

Him and I sort of share the bandleading responsibilities, but he does have "seniority" being one of the founding members and I'm not really sure how to approach this problem... any advice?

MadassAlex
02-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Rephrase the lyrics.

JackFlash19
02-20-2008, 03:39 AM
I think all of you should go over lyrics and say what you dont like about them. Dont argue and bring up points, and be ready to compromise bc not everyone will agree on all lyrics (obviously lol)

Also I suggest buying a songwriting book to help give do's and dont's and provide useful points.

SSDDPunkRocker
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
There are many websites that you could find searching Google on songwriting tips. I read one on how to avoid cliches. That may be their problem.

SlackerBabbath
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
This is why bands generaly have different jobs for different people. Guitarists write the guitar parts, bassists write the bass parts, drummers write the drum parts and one person (usualy the singer, because he has to sing the lyrics, but not always) writes the lyrics.
In your band, one person will stand out as the best lyric writer amongst you. So if you use lyrics written by anyone else in the band, you're not writing material to the best of your band's ability.

Any chance of an example of the lyrics?

axemanchris
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
You have two 'outs' here.

1. You, as the singer, need to be viewed by the audience as being sincere. You are, after all, the messenger. You should - actually NEED to - be given the opportunity to choose, manipulate, whatever is necessary in the lyrics to make this possible. "Come on guys, I can't deliver this message convincingly. What if I said it like this.... "

2. Fortunately, they don't flow rhythmically with the song. As you rephrase them to fit rhythmically, you also make whatever changes need to be made so they are more palatable.

CT