Help playing with my band

PDA

View Full Version : Help playing with my band

Gee-tar-eist
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
So me and my band like to all get together and practice...the thing is....i just cannot jam with my second guitarist.....he tries to do all lead stuff and doesnt even know what hes playing! he turns it up loud with hella distortion and puts his finger on the neck and just plucks and randomly puts his fingers in positions....it actually sounds ok cause he can find some good things to play, but whenever i play with my drummer and make a good beat...he comes in and it sounds HORRIBLE....i dont want to tell him he sucks or anything because hes one of my good friends....and we cant practice w/o him because he lives down the street where we practice and he'll just come over, so...anything i should tell him? ( i dont want to kick him out and i dont want to tell him he sucks) =/

willstrats44
02-20-2008, 11:55 AM
be honest with him. hidden resentment will tear a band appart. tell him "mabe i should play the leads" and sometimes it is best just to say to him that he sucks honesty is key to being in a band

Farether
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
tell him to play in the same key as you do and ask if he wants to put the volume down

Gee-tar-eist
02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
The thing is, i cant play good lead but i can play GREAT rythm,
and he doesnt know how to play in the same key as me....i dont necesarrily know what key i play in!

xScarfx
02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Just tell him not to do lead parts that are not in the right key. He will probably say i dont know how to do that. Then that when you take over the lead guitar...

Bigdave9576
02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
AMen to the honesty.....you have to tell people the situation in bands otherwise it really will fall to pieces before its even got started. If he can;t accept that then its better he's not in the band anyway.

johntb
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
perhaps you should sit down the 3 of you, figure the key out or atleast a scale that will work for you and just come up with something together, jamming can be cool but if you dont say anything will he learn anything? for volume just ask him to turn down, theres otherways to cut thru get him to mess with his amp and guitar...

trey-col89
02-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Well if you are refusing to kick him out or tell him he sucks, then the only thing you can do is suffer through more monotonous, annoying practices with your other guitar player doing the same crap hes been doing.

Gee-tar-eist
02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Well if you are refusing to kick him out or tell him he sucks, then the only thing you can do is suffer through more monotonous, annoying practices with your other guitar player doing the same crap hes been doing.

I was thinking maybe i should just quit, and get a beat maker.... :D that way we're all happy

trey-col89
02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Also, some advice for you... learn your key signatures. If you atleast knew what you were doing in terms of what key you were playing in, you could help this other guy out, but if you don't, then everybody is just running around with their heads up their asses playing stuff that doesn't mesh together and sounds like crap. I've never heard of ANY professional band or musician that doesn't know their key signatures.

Gee-tar-eist
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Also, some advice for you... learn your key signatures. If you atleast knew what you were doing in terms of what key you were playing in, you could help this other guy out, but if you don't, then everybody is just running around with their heads up their asses playing stuff that doesn't mesh together and sounds like crap. I've never heard of ANY professional band or musician that doesn't know their key signatures.

hahah...yes indeed i shall learn!
thanks for the help....
now time for school... =[