Tiny Terror vs. DSL401

PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Terror vs. DSL401

dgervin839
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm in a dilly of a pickle! I can get a Orange Tiny Terror, looks awesome, sounds awesome (from what I heard). But I also just saw a Marshall DSL401 for sale, which was my original choice of amp. I play some Sabbath, Black Label Society, Mastodon, QOTSA, Kyuss, Zeppelin, Wolfmother etc. The TT sounds awesome, but the only problem is, no-one has it were I'm from, so I cant try it out before. Is the DSL401 good enough for mainly bedroom practicing? What one would be best? I'm kind of leaning towards the TT.

powerslave69
02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
tiny terror defiently no doubt 100%

my friend has it i love it

Ghold125
02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
i don't think marshalls are good practice amps(tube), and you have to get some volume for it to get a good tone

red_hot_chili18
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
tiny terror defiently no doubt 100%

my friend has it i love it

+1,000,000 orange amps FTW

fantastic piece of kit

thebrewfan
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Orange>Almost everything

BleedDeathMetal
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Tt Ftw

Inspired_by_Vai
02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Woah, orange fanboys unite in here.

But yeah out of those two, the orange.

You could also look at Sound City amps, the new mark 6 combos/head.

Tried the head today, and it was fantastic, and the price was even nicer.

Kendall
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Also consider a Traynor YCV50BLUE, which I would much prefer over the two listed options. Of the two, I would take the Tiny Terror without question.

shwilly
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
i don't think marshalls are good practice amps(tube), and you have to get some volume for it to get a good tone
That goes for about every tube-driven amp out there. But yeah, the Tiny Terror is an exception because it wasn't made for large halls. I like it, but you can get some awesome combos for the money (like the Fender Blues Junior, which is basically a freakin' loud compact version of the Hot Rod). Depends on what you want

rush5757
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a tiny terror and it's awesome. Much better than the DSL, trust me! I recommend you get an avatar cab with it, if you can't afford the orange cab. Avatar has awesome sound, awesome quality, and they are damn sexy. (Get orange tolex with wheat grill, that's what I did. Check out pics in my profile).

helsinki_vampir
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
at bedroom level? Defanetly the TT.

dgervin839
02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a tiny terror and it's awesome. Much better than the DSL, trust me! I recommend you get an avatar cab with it, if you can't afford the orange cab. Avatar has awesome sound, awesome quality, and they are damn sexy. (Get orange tolex with wheat grill, that's what I did. Check out pics in my profile).

That looks nice, but we don't get avatar cabs in the UK. What speakers are you using? I've been thinking of going custom for a cab. Anyone know where to get a good custom cab thats cheaper than the Orange ones in the UK?

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
as long as its say marshall your good to go.

ECistheBest
02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
i hate my Marshall. :(

it needs to be loud to sound decent... :mad:

nedthehead
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
For what you play, Orange. the clean channel will do cleans, the dirty channel will do the type of music that you (Threadstarter) plays, and an overdrive pedal makes the thing a beast! The tiny terror is win-win!

rhcp_freak
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
For what you play, Orange. the clean channel will do cleans, the dirty channel will do the type of music that you (Threadstarter) plays, and an overdrive pedal makes the thing a beast! The tiny terror is win-win!
It's got one channel.

But it slays the DSL, and you can always roll the volume down for clean tones.

scottish nutter
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM

i like my dsl401, i was going to sell it after i got the jubilee but i decided id keep the dsl for higher gain stuff, i like it better on lower volume and on od2 with the gain at 4

Inspired_by_Vai
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM

+1

And it doesn't sound that great then either.

Yngwi3
02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
as long as its say marshall your good to go.
:haha
No, JUST no.

Tiny Terror out of those two, but it's still DAMN loud!

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
I will take the pepsi challenge with my dsl100. Thou I believe they sound somewhat sterile off the factory line, Once you mod them out and put a mercury magnetics transformer in it, you will have one of the most versatile and smoothest sounding tones. But were talking practice amps here. I still say if the threadstarter wants an amp to practice on to play classic rock there nothing more fitting than a marshall period my second choice vox.

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
+1

And it doesn't sound that great then either.

Im guessing you shred more than you actually play, I can understand how you wouldnt like marshall now. Marshall amps dont lie for the player, that meaning when your doing your runs at a tempo of 170 and your missing every 5 notes you sound like ****, so you jump on a super high gain amp that hides all your mistakes and then also drains you of any sweet tone.

Inspired_by_Vai
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Im guessing you shred more than you actually play, I can understand how you wouldnt like marshall now. Marshall amps dont lie for the player, that meaning when your doing your runs at a tempo of 170 and your missing every 5 notes you sound like ****, so you jump on a super high gain amp that hides all your mistakes and then also drains you of any sweet tone.

:haha

Seriously, what the hell.

So because i'm not a fan of my DSL401, I suck. yeah, makes sense. :rolleyes:

I'm actually selling my marshall for something with less gain, as I play my valve junior far more.

Don't lecture me just becuase I don't have the same tastes as you, k?

EDIT: Also notice that I recommended the Orange, and the new line of Sound Citys. Both are lower gain amps. :rolleyes:

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Hahaha I never referred to your playing personally, Im referring to your style of music (which I happen to love and play allot) But 90% of people I work with that dont like marshall is because its too organic of a tone and there technique ist quit yet up to par and they hear it everytime they plug in, some of them admit most of them don't. The bottom line is here for the threadstarter is that the dsl was voiced to "recreate" classic tones found in the 70's along with a good modern overdrive used allot now a days.

ECistheBest
02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
i just don't like marshall because it doesn't sound organic like its supposed to.

nothing compared to my blues jr. i want a crunchy aerosmith tone. and it's nothing like it. im looking for a humbucker equipped guitar now.

Inspired_by_Vai
02-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I do more than shred, ya'no? :rolleyes:

SRV is my biggest influence ;)

But yeah, if TS likes the DSL, go for it! If they like the amp, that's all that matters. My personal opinion is that there are better amps out there, thats all ;)

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
ummm yea I did look at your profile before I made any judgement. I like your outro to surfing.

Inspired_by_Vai
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
ummm yea I did look at your profile before I made any judgement. I like your outro to surfing.

:cheers:

But only one song on there is what I'd class as shred, and those arn't the tones I'd usually go for, they're done with a cheap multifx as I don't have a mic for my amps :p:

JaredFace
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
You know Im going to stop being lazy import some sound clips up of my amp. I think it will start a riot. standby

antareus
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Have you heard the DSL 401? I wouldn't exactly call it "smooth," it seems to get harsh pretty easily. The breakup can sound like a solid state at times.

JaredFace
02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Have you heard the DSL 401? I wouldn't exactly call it "smooth," it seems to get harsh pretty easily. The breakup can sound like a solid state at times.

Yea that can be the case at times especially with a combo, But I noticed that only happens when I have my gain up to high.