Blues Licks

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Licks

Highbinder
02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
So, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we could share our favourite licks, maybe expand our horizons, yknow?

I've not been playing 'blues' very long, and altho I'm starting to get the hang of the progressions and coming up with things over the different scale patterns it seems my licks are woefully inadequate when it comes to jamming. I've picked up a few nice phrases from the Doors, a couple of Clapton ones, and some odd stuff.

So I was thinking.. I'd love to see some of the classic blues phrases. And where better to ask than here in the blues forum? :)

Heres one to get things started:

From The Doors - Black Polished Chrome

e|------5-5--7b9-7b8r7p5---7---5--------7-----7-----8-8-8-7-|
b|-5-/7------------------7---7------7-----7-----7---8-8-8-7-|
g|-------------------------------/8---8-----8-----8---------|
d|----------------------------------------------------------|
a|----------------------------------------------------------|
e|----------------------------------------------------------|

GD_GC
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I've got a list of some licks I can tab out sometime, but I'll do it later when I'm not feeling so lazy :p:

Great idea though
:cheers:

BluesLP1990
02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
one of my favorite, in the key of E

e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-15b17~~~~~~~~~~~(17)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimebag22
02-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I've got a list of some licks I can tab out sometime, but I'll do it later when I'm not feeling so lazy :p:

Great idea though
Same here. I got tones that I might tab out one of these days! I'll have to do that one day.

Carswell98
02-24-2008, 06:55 PM
In E

------------7b9-7-6-5---------------------------------------------
--------------------------8b10--5~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

epic Page lick

guitarplaya322
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
classic lick used by tons of blues players in Am

-----------5-------------------------------------------
--------5------8b10---------------------------------------
--7b9----------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------

Carswell98
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
^ I overuse the shit out of that one

GD_GC
02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
^ I overuse the shit out of that one

:haha same here, I really need to find a new lick to base all of my playing off of :sad:

Carswell98
02-24-2008, 09:13 PM
:haha same here, I really need to find a new lick to base all of my playing off of :sad:

yeah, I found other stuff to move on to, but every so often it sneaks back in there, a little too much :haha

and I mean, lets face it, it is probably one of the coolest licks going

TUMFP
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
^That is because Stevie makes them sound perfect.

Carswell98
02-24-2008, 09:17 PM
^That is because Stevie makes them sound perfect.

I prefer the way clapton does it actually

GD_GC
02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I think every good blues player out there has used that lick and made it sound fantastic. SRV's "Texas Flood" is like completely based off of it.

Dimebag22
02-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I use this crazy SRV lick a lot. I'll try to find what song he uses it in... gimme a minute :)

Ok, so it's basically what Stevie does at 1:37 on El Mocambo's Texas Flood. Great lick.

imgooley
02-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I use this BB King lick sometimes.

In B minor

----------------------10--------------------------
-------------10--12-----------------------------
-------9s11-------------------------------------
---------------------------12--------------------
------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

Sir Anonymous
02-25-2008, 12:29 AM
e|-------------------------------------------------|
b|-------------------------------------------------|
g|----------5-7-5-7b10r7b8p5-----------------------|
d|--------7------------------7---------------------|
a|-------------------------------------------------|
e|-------------------------------------------------|

I kind of like this one, but I don't know much.

Highbinder
02-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Woo! I thought this thread had died. Some great looking licks being posted but damnit if I'm not stuck at work without a guitar. Can't wait to get home and try them out :peace:

Highbinder
02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Woah, sat down with my guitar and tried some of those out. Lovely!

Here are a couple more

---------------------------------
--pb8r7--5----------------------
------------7b8r7p5----------
---------------------7/10--7~--
-----------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

Not sure where from, but the prebend to bend styled lick is one I always seem to pull out?

----------3---3-6b-3----
--------3---6-----------
--5(b)7-----------------
----------------------------
---------------------------
--------------------------

Opening lick of Reconsider Baby by EC

----------------------------------0--------
-------------------------------------------
----2h4/6----0h2h4-----------2----------
-2h4---------------------2-4-------------
-------------------------0------0----3b--0-

Hendrix-esq lick

I'd really like to know some of the 'classic' blues riffs, if people are up for posting more? I'm really quite enjoying this thread :D

theneildeal
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
---------------7--------9b10-9-7h9p7-----------------------------------------
------------7----10-7---------------------10-7---------------------------------
---9b10~----------------------------------------9b10-9-7h9p7---7~~~~~
------------------------------------------------------------------------9------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive tried some of those other licks, and they are very cool. Miles Davis cool

BluesLP1990
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
okay so my first post was kind of a joke.
but i decided i like this threat and some of these licks are great.

anyways heres a little stock turnaround lick that i really like using, usually as a lead in to a solo.
i'll put it in C

e|---------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------|
G|-----9------9---------------------------8b9--------|
D|--10---10-8---8-----10-------10-------------10~~~--|
A|----------------/12----12-11----11-10--------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------|

Guitar_Obsessed
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah im gonna sound so 'noob'ish, but when you guys say like 'this is in B minor' or whatever, what does that actually mean? Do i like have to down tune or something?

imgooley
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah im gonna sound so 'noob'ish, but when you guys say like 'this is in B minor' or whatever, what does that actually mean? Do i like have to down tune or something?
That is just the key in which it is played. Most blues uses the pentatonic and the blues scales, so the easiest way to start learning in key ( or at least for me) is to learn the scale starting at the root note on the sixth string (if that made any sense at all). All changing the key does is change the pitch. The intervals are still the same. And no you don't have to down tune

Guitar_Obsessed
02-25-2008, 05:59 PM
That is just the key in which it is played. Most blues uses the pentatonic and the blues scales, so the easiest way to start learning in key ( or at least for me) is to learn the scale starting at the root note on the sixth string (if that made any sense at all). All changing the key does is change the pitch. The intervals are still the same. And no you don't have to down tune

Okay...starting to understand. I know the pentatonic scale, a mate showed me, but im not entirely clear on root notes/keys. And yes, i am self taught so yeah.....

imgooley
02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Okay...starting to understand. I know the pentatonic scale, a mate showed me, but im not entirely clear on root notes/keys. And yes, i am self taught so yeah.....
Its all good i'm self taught too.

Well most songs that I know (and my basic default position) are in A minor. All it is is the pentatonic scale on the fifth fret. Try to learn where the notes are and that should help.

Dimebag22
02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
The best thing to do is to get a teacher. Self taught kids tend to brag about being self taught because they think they are better for some odd reason, but they have missed out on a vary valuable and informative part of playing guitar and have missed out on the basics such as keys, scales and root notes.

As for the keys and such:

Ok, so the lowest pitched string is your E string. The frets go up in intervals, 1st fret is F, 2nd fret is F#/Gb, 3rd is G and so on. If your song is in the key of G, then you will want to find the G note (3rd fret) and that is where you want to start your pentatonic scale. The root note in that scale is the G.

That's just very basic and easy theory but my suggestion is to get a good teacher. It benefits you a ton.

BluesLP1990
02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

no...it means that's what key the lick is in.
so you know what key to use the lick over.
like i wouldn't use a lick in C over a chord progression in B without moving it to the right position.

you really need to look up some very basic music theory

guitarplaya322
02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Me too. its like im addicted to it

theneildeal
02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
The best thing to do is to get a teacher.

I disagree. You can learn all of the theory that you need on this website, and as long as you practice the theory, you'll be no worse-off than anyone who has a teacher.

Ive never had a teacher, and admittedly i don't know much theory, but thats because in my first 3 years of playing, i wasn't interested in getting to know the theory. I personally think that teacher's are overrated and overpriced. Just get someone to jam with, and you'll pick up theory that way as well.

Dimebag22
02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I disagree. You can learn all of the theory that you need on this website, and as long as you practice the theory, you'll be no worse-off than anyone who has a teacher.
I personally can't really learn like that. I need someone to show me how to do it, then I'll get it good. If I just learn it by reading it, I will never keep it in my head. My teacher will show me some theory then we will teach me 2 or 3 songs that use that theory or are examples of that theory that he just taught me.

imgooley
02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I personally can't learn the way that you do. I can't stand people telling me what to do, and I can teach myself better than anyone else can (unless they themselves are geniuses). I can do everything for myself that a teacher can. Like learning scales and keys and arpeggios and the like. As long as one has the drive to learn something that they are passionate about, then he can learn it with or without a teacher. So I apologize dime, but I disagree.

Dimebag22
02-25-2008, 07:52 PM
I personally can't learn the way that you do. I can't stand people telling me what to do, and I can teach myself better than anyone else can (unless they themselves are geniuses). I can do everything for myself that a teacher can. Like learning scales and keys and arpeggios and the like. As long as one has the drive to learn something that they are passionate about, then he can learn it with or without a teacher. So I apologize dime, but I disagree.
It's cool man. Everyone has their own learning habits. :) But I disagree with the part that I underlined. I can only learn so much by myself and with a teacher it all clicks way sooner. Maybe I just had an amazing teacher, too bad he doesn't teach anymore :(

But, yeah. Everyone has different learning styles.

guitarplaya322
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
ok since we've haven't had many licks for a while i guess i'll try and start it up again

A minor

---5----------------------------------------------------
---5----------5----------------------------------------
-------7b---- 5h6p5---------------------------------
------------------------7~~~~~~~~~~~~~----
--------------------------------------------------------

imgooley
02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
It's cool man. Everyone has their own learning habits. :) But I disagree with the part that I underlined. I can only learn so much by myself and with a teacher it all clicks way sooner. Maybe I just had an amazing teacher, too bad he doesn't teach anymore :(

But, yeah. Everyone has different learning styles.
:cheers: Cheers to the last part. I am so passionate about the guitar and music in general that if I didn't have it, I would be an empty shell of a man.

Anyway, here's a cool lick that i use ALL the time.

in A minor

----------8~~~~~~----------------------------
----7s9---------------7--9--9~~~~~--------
-------------------------------------------7-5-7--
-----------------------------------------------------7-5-
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cool turnaround lick

GD_GC
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, only in the Blues/ Jazz Forum can we have an intelligent debate about something people disagree on. It seems like everywhere else on this site its just a bunch of flamers and people who can't get along.

But on topic, I will have to side with imgooley on this one. I've learned so much more without a teacher than with the brief time I had one. It just didn't work for me, and I've taught myself practically everything I know. I just learn better than way with musical things it seems.

I totally agree though, that everyone has different learning styles, and do whatever works for you!

dantheguitarist
02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
E------------5-------------8--5--7-5-----5-
B------5----5---------5----------------8----
G------7b--------7b-------------------------
D---------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------

Dimebag22
02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, only in the Blues/ Jazz Forum can we have an intelligent debate about something people disagree on. It seems like everywhere else on this site its just a bunch of flamers and people who can't get along.

But on topic, I will have to side with imgooley on this one. I've learned so much more without a teacher than with the brief time I had one. It just didn't work for me, and I've taught myself practically everything I know. I just learn better than way with musical things it seems.

I totally agree though, that everyone has different learning styles, and do whatever works for you!

:haha yeah bro. It's a great community to be in, other than that one crazy dude who you were in a huge argument with :p: You kept cool though, it was him who was going crazy :haha

But you learn lots of theory from your school's Jazz band and stuff too don't you? I never had that. He taught me most of my stuff and he was an amazing teacher. I've learned quite a bit on my own about theory but he introduced me into blues and gave me the momentum to carry on on my own, so he deserves some credit for that. He once told me, 'I'm gonna make you change from a 12 year old white kid to 80 year old black man.' Or something along those lines. I was almost ready to ditch him when he said that because I wanted to play harder stuff but then he showed me a side of the blues that I've never seen and from then on I fell in love :haha . So he started showing me some theory that went into the blues and I never went back! So I must say that I learned quite a bit from my teacher but I've also learned a lot by myself so I don't know which one was more helpful. I guess it all depends on the teacher you get.

:cheers: though.

EDIT: Damn, I just realized how much I rambled on there... Oh well, I hope you guys don't mind! :p:

imgooley
02-25-2008, 09:22 PM

For real though, that is why i only post in this forum.

@ dime, I have the soul of an 80 year old black man already, so i'm fine. Oh yeah and "Ramble On!!"

GD_GC
02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah I think that you need a little of both, a little teaching and a little figuring stuff out on your own. That is perfect. And yeah I have learned a lot of theory from stuff at school, so I guess you can say that I've had a teacher.

Overall, it's just whatever helps you learn the best.

And I also have the soul of an 80 year old black man :p:

Carswell98
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't afford lessons, I don't learn well from the online lessons, so I'm doomed to just working it out from songs like I always have

Blurry 505
02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Gettin a teacher is all on who you find and how well you connect. I'm lucky enough to live around the guy who taught Jonny Lang, now im his only student and ive probly learned more in 1 year with him than 5 years on my own. But its all about finding the right person.

Heres a couple of my favorite licks:

Heres a good starter:

--7b8p5--7b9--------------------

use it however and use the bends however also

Here's one of my teachers all time favorites (little BB King influence)

-----------8--10-------------------
--10b12---------10b12---8-----

Here's a good ending:
---5--5--5h6----------------------
-----------------7------------------

And these are all Am blues of course!

Jimmy94
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I've always liked

e|---12~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B|---------------------------
G|----------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|---------------------------
E|----------------------------

imgooley
02-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I've always liked

e|---12~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B|---------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|---------------------------
E|----------------------------

ok buddy guy

TUMFP
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Here's a trademark Gilmour lick:

|-----10-------------------10-------------------|
|-13---------10-------10------13b--13B--13-13---|
|---------12-----12b----------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------|

^whole step on first C (or 13th fret/b string) bend, step and a half
on second C bend, notice the big B.

Notice that lick in bold. I am telling you, that is EVERYWHERE. That is the omni-escient blues lick.

theneildeal
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
15-12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------15-12------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------15-14-12------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------14b15r14-12----------------12------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------14-13-12-14---14-12-----------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------15-12~~~~~~~~~\0

It sounds really impressive if you trem the final E, despite it just being a run-down of the E blues minor scale

Highbinder
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Haha those last two are great :D

Here are a couple more:

--------------
--7b8r7-------
--7b8r7/5-----
----------7~--
--------------
--------------

Crops up everywhere, very common styled lick, I love it, altho I play it a bit too much!

------5-5--7b9-12b14-12-11-10--------
-5-/7-------------------------12b14r12--
------------------------------------------

^ Doors :cool:

--------------
---------------
--2b4r2p0-----
-----------0h2--
-----------2---
---------------

Not sure where from?

----------------------------------
-------------------------------
-----6--------------------------
-----5---------------------------
-------------------5---------------
--5-----5--5h7--------3----0---0--

From Hear My Train

StrayCatBlues
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I like that people can disagree in the Blues and Jazz forum, and the result does not boil down to "I've got an Ibanez, so STFU no0B!"

I think I've been in The Pit too long :p:

Will post licks when I tab them out

BluesLP1990
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Blurry 505, that last lick is in A, not Am.
The first two could be either.

Jimmy94
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
ok buddy guy

hey, if it's not worth saying in one note it's not worth saying at all :D

urik
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|-------3-----5-3h4p3---3-6b8---
B|-----3---6p3---------6---------
G|-5b7---------------------------
D|-------------------------------
A|-------------------------------
E|-------------------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

From SRV - Texas Flood. It's in G.

theneildeal
02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
dios mio, me encanta Texas Flood! De hecho, quiero tocarlo ahora!

House_OfBlues56
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
|-----------------------------------------------------------------9~~~----------------
|--12b14---r12p9--9h12p9-------------------------------9~~~----------------
|-----------------------------------10b12r10-----------------9~~~----------------
|--------------------------------------------------10p8h10----------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its kind of a weird one, but i abuse it

urik
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
dios mio, me encanta Texas Flood! De hecho, quiero tocarlo ahora!

:D :cheers:

syk3d
02-27-2008, 01:09 AM
okay so my first post was kind of a joke.
but i decided i like this threat and some of these licks are great.

anyways heres a little stock turnaround lick that i really like using, usually as a lead in to a solo.
i'll put it in C

G|-----9------9---------------------------8b9--------|
D|--10---10-8---8-----10-------10-------------10~~~--|
A|----------------/12----12-11----11-10--------------|

That's a nice one... I enjoyed messing around with it a bit...

...then I changed it a bit to suit me...

G|-----9------9--------------------------------------|
D|--10---10-8---8-----10-----12b13---10~~~-----------|
A|----------------/12----12--------------------------|

It means it isn't really a turnaround now.

Sweet thread btw.

edit: Here... I'll add one.... I heard it on Sunshine of Your Love on the One More Car, One More Rider live album by Clapton. It's in D Minor.

e|-----------------------------------|
B|---------------10--10--------------|
G|---------------10--10--12~~~-------|
D|--------10h12----------------------|
A|--10h12----------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------|

Highbinder
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Bumped :)

12b14--9v---------------------------------------
------------10/12-10--12b14b12p-------------------
-------------------------------------11~-----------
--------------------------------------------------

JL90
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
------------------------------
-----9b11r9p7-----7~----
-------------------9---------
-----------------------------

I use this way too often. :mad:

theneildeal
03-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Taking us back to 1930's Mississippi:

----9-----9------8------8-----7------7-------5------------5---5----5---5----5---5----5--------------
----8-----8------7------7-----6------6-------5-------------------------------------------------------
-9-----9------8------8-----7------7-------6----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------5---5----4---4----3---3----2---------------
------------------------------------------------------0----------------------------------------2--2--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0--0--0--

If that doesn't make you want to start drinking Jack Daniels and beating a woman, i don't know what will

gopherthegreat
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
i have on to add, but how do you guys set up the tab thing?

Jimmy94
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
use code tags

e|--------------------
B|----7--7--7-------
G|6/8--8--8---8\6--4
D|-------------------6
A|--------------------
E|--------------------

but spell code right and it looks like this...

e|--------------------
B|----7--7--7-------
G|6/8--8--8---8\6--4
D|-------------------6
A|--------------------
E|--------------------

TUMFP
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
|-----------------------------------------------------------------9~~~----------------
|--12b14---r12p9--9h12p9-------------------------------9~~~----------------
|-----------------------------------10b12r10-----------------9~~~----------------
|--------------------------------------------------10p8h10----------------------------

its kind of a weird one, but i abuse it

I love throwing in the minor triads, and wailing those. As you have the C# minor at the end there. Here is one simple little but powerful guy in the key of E minor:

|---------------------------------------|
|-17b~~-15-15-17---------------------3-|
|--------------------------14b-------4-|
|------------------------------------5-|
|---------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------3-|

Give it a nice huge bend on the A(17/B string), quick pick the G(15/b string),G,A and pause a second. Then a striking gradual bend on the A (14/G string). And then attack the relative major chords for a big bang.

As for the tab and code to Gopher use this:

[ CODE ]
|
|
|
| <---These are all shift and the button above enter with the slash.
|
|

[ / CODE ]

And remove the spaces from the code and brackets, I had to space it to prevent it from coding it.

gopherthegreat
03-01-2008, 01:31 PM
E---------------------
B------------5-----------------
G------5h7---------5-7b8---
D--/7-----------7-------------
A------------------------------
E------------------------------

in B minor

Highbinder
03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Lovely licks. Just a question, if I want to transpose a lick to a different key is it just a matter of moving it up or down the neck the correct number of frets?

imgooley
03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Lovely licks. Just a question, if I want to transpose a lick to a different key is it just a matter of moving it up or down the neck the correct number of frets?
yup

Blurry 505
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
yessir its as easy as that.

as to contribute:

---------------------------------------------------
-5b7r5b7--5h3-5b7r5b7-5b7r5h3-5b7~-

From Covered in Rain. One of my favorite licks to start an intense SRV style solo

BluesLP1990
03-01-2008, 03:44 PM

yes

TUMFP
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
From Covered in Rain.

That whole solo is asking for personal vocab enhancement, guitar-wise of course.

House_OfBlues56
03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
here's another one, i just came up with it.

|---0h3p0------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|--------------3p0--3s5----5s3p0----------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------2h3p2p0--------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------2h0--2s5s2p0-----2p0--2----2~~~-----
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2~~~-----
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can pretty much play it with only your left hand, it's all about hammer ons and pulls offs, but it looks good on stage to play without your right.

MrJayremmie
03-01-2008, 11:07 PM
e-|--------------------------11--------------|
B-|14p11-----11~-----------11-14b~-|
G-|---------13-------13b------------------|
D-|-------------------------------------------|
A-|-------------------------------------------|
E-|-------------------------------------------|

one of my base licks. :)

Firebread
03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|--------6-----------------------------------------------13--12--11--10--------------
B|-----6-----9--6-----------------------------11--13--11------------------11--11v-----
G|--8--------------8b---6--8--6b----------12------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------8--8v----------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's one of my favorites, if you wanna hear it it's in my profile in the MP3's as "Testing Audacity" its kinda soft so you might wanna turn it up.

rjambi
03-02-2008, 02:49 AM
I stumbled across one of the most amazing Stevie Ray Vaughan websites. If you are serious about nailing SRV's tone you have got to check this out... I found the site a week back and I just had to say something about it... ... .. think of it as SRV cheat codes lol.. thats what it has been for me http://www.steviesnacks.com

Carswell98
03-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Taking us back to 1930's Mississippi:

----9-----9------8------8-----7------7-------5------------5---5----5---5----5---5----5--------------
----8-----8------7------7-----6------6-------5-------------------------------------------------------
-9-----9------8------8-----7------7-------6----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------5---5----4---4----3---3----2---------------
------------------------------------------------------0----------------------------------------2--2--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0--0--0--

If that doesn't make you want to start drinking Jack Daniels and beating a woman, i don't know what will

that wouldn't be Johnson's 32-20 Blues would it?

theneildeal
03-02-2008, 08:25 AM
that wouldn't be Johnson's 32-20 Blues would it?

Its my way of playing Me and the Devil.

Highbinder
03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I love this thread :)

Carswell98
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Its my way of playing Me and the Devil.

oh ok, that is the exact same chord sequence that opens 32-20 as well

theneildeal
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
oh ok, that is the exact same chord sequence that opens 32-20 as well

most of his intros sound the same!

MrJayremmie
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
e-|---------------------9-8----------------------9------6----------------|
B-|-------10--------8------11-8b----6--------------------------------|
G-|-----8----8----8----------------8b---8/10---10\8---8brp6-----|
D-|--10--------10--------------------------------------------------8~-|
A-|8---------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-|----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Pretty sexy Blues lick, imo. :)

BluesLP1990
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM

mind posting what chords you're playing that over or at least in what key?
It's a very odd lick, i'd like to hear it if you've got audio.

imgooley
03-04-2008, 06:07 PM

what the hell is that lick?

syk3d
03-15-2008, 02:51 AM
This was such a sweet thread, i felt i needed to hit it with the defibrillators. I'm just a bit lazy to tab one out at the moment. :)

imgooley
03-15-2008, 04:57 AM

I still don't get that one... Looks like it's in C..... major?

GD_GC
03-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I still don't get that one... Looks like it's in C..... major?

Yeah, what the hell is up with that one?

Highbinder
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
This was such a sweet thread, i felt i needed to hit it with the defibrillators. I'm just a bit lazy to tab one out at the moment. :)

I agree. On both counts. I'll post some more licks tomorrow..

100Roy001
03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
e|-----5-----------------8b(9)----8-5~~--------
B|---5---/10~~~--10---------------------------
G|---------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------

Classic BB King lick.

e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------6--------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------5h7~~--5----------------------- 0h2h0h2h0h2h0h2h0--
A|------7--------5--7---------0------------5~------------------------------------
E|--0--0---5--7--------------------5-5h7------3-0-0----------------------------

Acoustic Hendrix lick 8)

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-----------------7~~~---7h9-7h9 7h9-7---------------------
A|--------7h8h9--------------------------------9h8h7----------
E|----10---------------------------------------------------10--7~~~

Own lick

imgooley
03-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I have been playing a lot of slide recently so here.
In open G
----3--5--0s12----------
----3--5--0s12-----
----3--5--0s12-----
----3--5--0s12------
----3--5--0s12-------
----3--5--0s12-------

moonlightmile
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
This is a fusion riff I cae up with while listening to Al Di Meola

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------
b|---------------------------------------------------------------------
g|-5~----------------------------------------------------------------
d|----------6-5-----7------5~--------------------------------------
a|-----7-5------------5-7-------------------------------------------
E|---------------8-5-------------------------------------------------

moonlightmile
03-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Another Lick I've Been Messin Around With:

e|---------------b16r15p12-----17b(19)---------------------------------
b|-----------12---------------12---------------15b(17)~~ b17r15p12-
g|-14b(16)------------------------------------------------------------------

Carswell98
03-16-2008, 12:43 AM
good turnaround lick of my own (D maj)
really hit that last note hard, and vibrato the **** out of it. :p:

e-------------------------------------------------------------------------
b---------13b15~15~~15-13---------------------------------------
g-----------------------------------14-13-12------10~~~~~-------
d------------------------------------------------12----------------------
a-------------------------------------------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------------------------------------------

moonlightmile
03-16-2008, 01:17 AM
This is a fusion fill i like to do corresponding to the previously posted main riff:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b|----------------------------5h6p5--5-8p6p5--5-----------------------------
g|-4h5p4-----------4h5h7--------7-----------7--7p5p4-5p4------------4-
d|---------7-4h5h7-----------------------------------------------7-4h5h7----
a|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

imgooley
03-16-2008, 01:37 AM
In open G with a slide
d---------3h5------------------------
b-----3--------3p1-------------------
g-------------------3p0--------------
d-------------------------3p0-------
g-------------------------------3s5---0-
d------------------------------------------

Highbinder
03-16-2008, 12:13 PM
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------6--------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------5h7~~--5----------------------- 0h2h0h2h0h2h0h2h0--
A|------7--------5--7---------0------------5~------------------------------------
E|--0--0---5--7--------------------5-5h7------3-0-0----------------------------

Acoustic Hendrix lick 8)

I love that lick, I always play it..

Now:

--------12h15p12-------------------------------
--14b16----------16r14-12-14b-12--12/10--------
----------------------------------------12-----
-------------------------------------------14~-
-----------------------------------------------

One of my own. Hold the 14b16 while you hammer/pulloff, and then play the 10 12 14 at the end keeping each ringing.

gopherthegreat
03-16-2008, 12:31 PM
--------12h15p12-------------------------------
--14b16----------16r14-12-14b-12--12/10--------
----------------------------------------12-----
-------------------------------------------14~-

One of my own. Hold the 14b16 while you hammer/pulloff, and then play the 10 12 14 at the end keeping each ringing.
thats good :cheers:

Highbinder
03-16-2008, 02:54 PM
thats good :cheers:

Cheers, mate :)

I found another, was written down on a scrap of paper :confused: (I'm so disorganised)

-----5----5-----5--------------------
-7b8--(b8)--(b8)---8r7--5--7b8b7-5---
----------------------------------7--

Sort of chuck berry inspired

psychokiller99
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
i like this one, not sure where i heard it, but i started playin it and it sounded cool

(in the key of E)

e--------------------------------12----------------------------
b--10h11p10--------10h11------11p10----------------------
g----------------12---------------------------12----------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------

play that fast over and over, it sounds pretty cool and here's one i like to use

(in E again)

e------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b---15b17----15--14--13--12---------------15p12-----------12--------------------------------
g-------------------------------------14b15--------------14h15-----15p14---12h14p12-------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------14~~

something along those lines

12epi345
03-19-2008, 05:37 AM
when BB slides up to the octave of the root, just putting his stamp on whatever he is playing.

GuitarBassDude
03-22-2008, 11:31 PM
e|------------------------------------------------3-----------------------|
b|---------------------------------------------3----3---6-----3~~-----|
g|--------------3--5--6--------------3--5------------------------------|
d|---3--4--5-------------3--4--5---------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

a lick i love in G

imgooley
03-22-2008, 11:44 PM
--8------8------8------8-----8-----8-----8--------8----------------------------
--8h10--8h10--8h10-8h10-8h10-8h10-8h10p8-8-------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------9---7----5---------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------7~~~~~~~~~~~~~-----
---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In A. Cookie to who gets it

rush5757
03-23-2008, 05:12 AM
in E

e|---15b17p12--15b17p12--15b17p12--15b17~~~~~~~~~~~~
B|-----------------------------------------------------------
G|-----------------------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------

then just run down the blues scale after it. perfect way to end a bitchin solo :cool:

matt92l
03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
A very SRV lick in A

e|-----------5-----5--8---5~~~~-------------------------------------
B|-------5-----5-----------------------------------------------
G|-7b9----------------------------------------------------------

rush5757
03-24-2008, 02:45 AM
@ imgooley: the hammer-ons sound very hendrixy, but I won't be able to pull a song name out of my ass.

@ matt92l: I like that. SRV indeed!

imgooley
03-24-2008, 02:47 AM
@rush, I don't know if I tabbed it right, but that is a classic Buddy Guy lick

guitarplaya322
03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
in E

e|---15b17p12--15b17p12--15b17p12--15b17~~~~~~~~~~~~
B|-----------------------------------------------------------
G|-----------------------------------------------------------

then just run down the blues scale after it. perfect way to end a bitchin solo :cool:
thats really nice thanx for that lick :D

Blurry 505
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I know this thread has slowed down a lot. And its blues licks, but I cant help but post this. Its just awesome. And its country, BUT! please don't bad mouth it. If you really dont want it here just lemme know I'll delete the post.

BTW, I'll post blues ones later, but this what I'm trying to learn now. Key word, trying to learn. Here's the tab plus a link to the video so you can see how fast he plays it! Tab starts at about 13 seconds into it.

E------3---------------------------------------3--------------------------------|
B-----3-6/8-6---------------------------------3-6/8-6---------------------------|
G--0h4-----7-7\5-3-3h4---------------------0h5-----7-7\5-3-3h4------------------|
D-----------------5---5------3----------------------------5---5----4---5----7\--|
A-----------------------3-4-5-5\3-1-1h2-------------------------4/5-5/7-7/9-9\--|
E----------------------------------3---3----------------------------------------|

E---------------------------------------------------------------------3~/--|
B------6---------------------------------------------------------3-5p3~~/--|
G--5/7--7\5-3-5-3b----5p3-3---3h5/\---------------------2-0-2h3h4----------|
D------------5--------5p3-3---3h5/\--------------0-2h3h4-4-----------------|
A------------------1/3---1-1-1------2-0h1-2p0-3p0--------------------------|
E------------------------------------3-------------------------------------|

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zH67JnDmDbI

guitarplaya322
03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
ok i dont want this thread to die so im gonna post up this awesome jimmy page lick

btw its from the dyer maker solo

--------------6b8----5--------------------------------

-7b9r7p5------------------7------------------------------

-----------------------------------7--------------

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:07 AM
A nice slide lick

in open G or open A
--------------------------------------15---15s12--12--------------7---5-----0-----
-----------------------------------15------15s12------12--------7---5------------------
----------0s3-0s3-0s3-s12----------15----------------12---7---5---------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------s5---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloodshed
04-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm liking this thread alot guys. I am, I guess, a person who tends toward harder music, but at the end of the day, the best stuff to unwind with, and play with feeling is some blues and jazz stuff. Besides, I love playing jazz with a group anyways, and this thread has given me some fuel to end my "writers block" as far as soloing goes.

Bloodshed
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Well I know this thread has slowed down a lot. And its blues licks, but I cant help but post this. Its just awesome. And its country, BUT! please don't bad mouth it. If you really dont want it here just lemme know I'll delete the post.

BTW, I'll post blues ones later, but this what I'm trying to learn now. Key word, trying to learn. Here's the tab plus a link to the video so you can see how fast he plays it! Tab starts at about 13 seconds into it.

E------3---------------------------------------3--------------------------------|
B-----3-6/8-6---------------------------------3-6/8-6---------------------------|
G--0h4-----7-7\5-3-3h4---------------------0h5-----7-7\5-3-3h4------------------|
D-----------------5---5------3----------------------------5---5----4---5----7\--|
A-----------------------3-4-5-5\3-1-1h2-------------------------4/5-5/7-7/9-9\--|
E----------------------------------3---3----------------------------------------|

By the way, this lick is nasty! i wanna try learning this one, but it might take a while

imgooley
04-27-2008, 01:06 AM

Hot damn, boy, that lick is crazy! Nice one :cheers:

syk3d
04-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Bloodshed you champion... reviving this thread! Sorry I don't have a lick for yall, but I wanted to post my appreciation for bloodshed.

Vagabond21
05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
In G : one of my own

E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3---|
B----------------------------------------------------------------------3s5---1--2--3--------|
G---------------------------------------3-----------3po5-------------------------------------|
D------------------3---------3----5---------5-----------------5b----------------------------|
A------0h3h5---------5----------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Play fast. This thing is kinda like an intro or somethin.

Add bends where needed

forsaknazrael
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Awesome thread, guys!

Any more licks, maybe something that can be easily shoved into a fast run?

guitarplaya322
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
this is a lick i made but its completely based off a lick in the beggining of texas flood by SRV

------------3-------------5---3h4p3----------------------------
--------3-------6p3---------------------6---3------------------
-5b7--------------------------------------------5b7--3----------
-------------------------------------------------------------5----
--------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thefallofman
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Nice lick, guitarplaya! It's a nice little variation of a common run that makes things more interesting.

geetarmanic
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Some great licks in this thread!... here's one i made up (inspired by various sources):

E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------8--------------------------------------------------------------------
G----7--8--9-------9---7b8------------------7/8/7---5--7------------5---------
D--------------------------------10---7--10--------------------5---7--------6/7--
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can hear an audio clip of it as 'LICK 1' in my profile: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/geetarmanic/music/ (sound isn't too good so be sure to turn the volume up).

Any feedback welcomed and appreciated.

Daitrying
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Got to keep this thread going guys, we need a sticky status for it.

e-----------------------------
B-----------------------------
G-------8-----------8/10-
D--8h10---8h10--6-------
A----------------------------
E----------------------------

ZZ Top lick, play it with a bit of swing.

guitarplaya322
05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Nice lick, guitarplaya! It's a nice little variation of a common run that makes things more interesting.
Thanks! I'll try and post some more licks later.

Highbinder
05-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Got to keep this thread going guys, we need a sticky status for it.

Heh I'm glad people are appreciating perhaps my only good thread on UG ;P

No licks from me right now I'm afraid, stuck at work, but I'd love to see some people posting licks including double stops if anyone wants to take requests :D

guitarplaya322
05-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Heh I'm glad people are appreciating perhaps my only good thread on UG ;P

No licks from me right now I'm afraid, stuck at work, but I'd love to see some people posting licks including double stops if anyone wants to take requests :D
Chuck Berry :P

------------------/5-5-5-/5-5-5-/5-5-5-/5-5-5-------------------------------
------------5----/5-5-5-/5-5-5-/5-5-5-/5-5-5---8-7-5-----5--------------
-----5h6------------------------------------------------------7-5h6-------------
-7----------------------------------------------------------------------7-----------

gitrdone92
05-27-2008, 11:32 AM
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b|---------------------8---8-------------------------------------------------------
g|----5h7--7b--p5--7/9---9---9\7--7--5--7b--p5-------------------------------------
d|--7------------------------------------------7-5---------------------------------
a|--------------------------------------------------7-6-5\3-5b-p3------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------5---------------

heres one i made up and use WAY too much........
enjoy

BluMetalPlayer
06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
we should make a book

Blurry 505
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Or a contest!

Best Blues Riff
Any tuning?
Any style

Now that sounds like fun!
Anyone else?

imgooley
06-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Here's a nice little slide lick in Open G.

---2s5s7~~~---------------12----------------
-----------------7s3~-----5s12----------------
------------------------3s5---12---------
---------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

And we should have a Forum Awards

Blurry 505
06-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Quick one i literally made up in about 5 seconds
Its decent, nothin great at all

--------8------------------------------|
-8/10----10/8----8/10--8~~-----|
------------------9-------------------|
---------------------------------------|

make the first note of the slide barely an length, then hold the next note as you play the next one... I dunno if that makes any sense at all... but yeah!

Zox
06-17-2008, 06:00 PM
E-----------------3/4--5--6--7--6--5-------------------------------------
B--------------5--------------------------8--5----8~--5-----5~---------
G----2/4--6------------------------------------6----------6--------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the key of E, obviously. Don't remember where i got it from, but it sounds best if you play it as triplets.

Tompa87
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey guys I'm a (ex?)-metal / hard rock player recently converted to the great world of Blues and Jazz and I want to thank you guys for this thread and the awesome licks I was able to get from this. Keep it going! :peace:

As for my own contribution a little lick influenced by Billy Gibbons:

e|-----------8---------8-----------8-11p8------------------------------
b|--11b13-------11b13--------11b13========r11p8~~----------------------
g|--------------------------------------------------10b12p8~~~~~~------
d|---------------------------------------------------------------------
a|---------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold the bend during the high e pull off and a nice little vibrato on that last note. A bit of crunch to make it extra good :).

Blurry 505
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
E------------------------------------------------------
B--------17-------17--14------14--------------------------------------
G--------16b18--16--14------14----16-14-------------------------------------------
D----------------------------16------------------16p14x------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------16x------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slight palm mute for notes with the "x"'s

guitarplaya322
06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Or a contest!

Best Blues Riff
Any tuning?
Any style

Now that sounds like fun!
Anyone else?
that actually sounds cool.

each person could post an mp3 or vid of them playing it and then we could have like a poll or something to decide.

mustaine34
06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Albert King in Ab
-4-------------------------------------4----------
----7--------------------------------------------
--------6b8r6---4-------4----6b8------6~~~~~ --------------------- 6-------------------------

Here's a lick in E it works on the IV chord during the V IV I walkdown
-3b5---0------------------0---------------------
-------------3---0-----------3-------------------
----------------------2s4------4s2---0------0tr1---
-------------------------------------------2-------

forsaknazrael
06-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey guys I'm a (ex?)-metal / hard rock player recently converted to the great world of Blues and Jazz and I want to thank you guys for this thread and the awesome licks I was able to get from this. Keep it going! :peace:

As for my own contribution a little lick influenced by Billy Gibbons:

e|-----------8---------8-----------8-11p8------------------------------
b|--11b13-------11b13--------11b13========r11p8~~----------------------
g|--------------------------------------------------10b12p8~~~~~~------
d|---------------------------------------------------------------------
a|---------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold the bend during the high e pull off and a nice little vibrato on that last note. A bit of crunch to make it extra good :).
More Gibbon-y stuff!

(o)=:::
06-29-2008, 06:09 AM
This is the first thread i have looked at on UG and it's already helped a ton.... This could be the forum ever, Whisky all around
One I use which is very BB inspired
-----------------------10--13p12------10-12b-10
-------------10--12--------------- 12b-------------
----8/11--------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

Roots_radical
07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm just getting into blues guitar, I guess I will have to spend all day going through the thread and trying all these!! Thanks a lot guys :D

mas0n
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Great thread people, keep it up...Really should be a sticky :)
No lick for now, but I'm tryin' out some stuff, be sure, I'll put it up if I find somethin' appealing. Cheerio :)

Caramello Ruell
07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
omg i ove this thread so much i have already favourited it on my webpage it shold be my homepage!

some great licks that i will use in a guitar battle im going to be in with my friend on his birthday (heavy metal vs blues :P) cant wai tit will be fun

a great lick i love is from all around the watchtower by the one and only hendrix

-----------------9-----------9--------------9--------------------------------
--------------------12b13-------12-9------9----12-9--------------------------
---------------------------------------12------------12-11-9-----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------11b12-11~~~~~~~
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron_Dude
07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Here's a little Allen Collins lick I use a lot. However, I like to play it Mark Knopler style. ;)

e|------5------8-10-(11)pb10p8-10-8b(9)--
B|----5---8/10---------------------------
G|-/6------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------

forsaknazrael
07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
^no pick?

Iron_Dude
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
^no pick?
Exactly. I love the sounds you can get from just your fingers. :p:

Caramello Ruell
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
this isnt your traditional guitar riff beacuse its from charlie parker (a great sax player) but this lick is too good to keep to myself, ill try and explain it because its a bit complex

notes with [ ] around them are eigth notes, and nites with { } are quarter notes, i suggest putting this one into a program you have, tempo is about 208 and of course the quavers are swung =P

edit: changed some notes so they are all much easier to reach same lick just now easier to play =)

--------------------------------[7]--------------------------
---[7]-{10}-[7-8-7]----------------[8]---[7]--------------------
--------------------[6-7-8]--[9]------[9]---[9]--[rest]-[7]
-------------------<triplet>-------------------{8}--------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------

forsaknazrael
07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
^the hell's a crotchet?

^^Cool! I've been meaning to learn how to hybrid pick...:p:

Caramello Ruell
07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
^the hell's a crotchet?

^^Cool! I've been meaning to learn how to hybrid pick...:p:

haha my bad i mean quarter note, its the theory nerd coming out of me

Caramello Ruell
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|--------6-----------------------------------------------13--12--11--10--------------
B|-----6-----9--6-----------------------------11--13--11------------------11--11v-----
G|--8--------------8b---6--8--6b----------12------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------8--8v----------------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's one of my favorites, if you wanna hear it it's in my profile in the MP3's as "Testing Audacity" its kinda soft so you might wanna turn it up.

i say sir u have a nice tone ( i listened to the mp3, i enjoyed it alot) great little lick, i like how u popped those few high e string notes

Caramello Ruell
08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
come on people post some more this is a great thread!

jtmj121
08-09-2008, 05:28 AM
bump because i was trying to find it

SunburstSFX3
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
e|---5--------------------------------
B|--------8--5------------------------
G|-----------------7b---7--5--------
D|-------------------------------7----
A|-------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------

Really easy, but I'm a beginner.

guitarplaya322
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
--8b10~~-10-8--------
---------------------10--

SRV used this lick alot. listen to texas flood solo, he uses it as a "call phrase."

aradine
08-16-2008, 04:03 AM
my favourite classic blues lick.

e--------------------
b-12------12-------
g-----b14----b14-
d--------------------
a--------------------
e--------------------

repeat until well done.

A Nob
08-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I think this one is a Page lick.. I've seen him use it a few times.

e------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------12--14---14b15----14-------12----14-----12~~-------------
D----14-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xp3ns1v3
08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
e------------5----8b----
b-------5----------------
g--7---------------------
d--7---------------------
a------------------------
e------------------------

imgooley
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have some good arpeggio licks?

forsaknazrael
08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
--8b10~~-10-8--------
---------------------10--

SRV used this lick alot. listen to texas flood solo, he uses it as a "call phrase."
yowch! bit of a first finger bend to attempt! :p:
Cool little lick though.

willis4
08-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Version of that SRV lick

-------------10b12--10b12---8----------------8~---------------------
--/10--10----------------------------10--10-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Am
Just play around and hang on the bends

-------------10b12--10b12--9b10--10b12---10b12---8----------------8~---------------------
--/10--10-------------------------------------------------------10--10-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cool variation

Caramello Ruell
08-21-2008, 07:03 AM
bumping this up! since you gave me so many ill put one up i just made up! in F# major

---------------------
----5b7r5p3----------
-----------4~3p0----
----------------3/5~~
---------------------
---------------------

i like to make the 4 really punchy

Caramello Ruell
08-23-2008, 01:12 AM
gotta keep this alive! love all these licks,

a clapton one,, personally i love this one

------------------------------5----------
-----------------------------5-8p5-5-----
--------5b6---7p5-5B------5h6-----7-6----
----5h7-----7----7----7-------------5----
--/7-------------------------------------

rockadoodle
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
This is nothing special. I just came up with it actually. I don't recall hearing it anywhere so if does in fact belong to an artist, I do apologize for claiming it as mine.
In A minor:

e-------------------------------5----------------------|
b--------------------------------------8---------------|
g--------5---7---7b9r7p5---------------------------|
d---/7-------------------------------------------------|
a-------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------|

JustJaxx
08-30-2008, 01:53 AM
E 3 5 3 -8 6 6
B 3 5 3 - 8 8
G 3-4 5 3-4 -
D 2 5 5 -
A 5 -
E -

Real simple, But real actual blues. SRV y JAXX :cool:

forsaknazrael
08-30-2008, 04:09 AM
This is nothing special. I just came up with it actually. I don't recall hearing it anywhere so if does in fact belong to an artist, I do apologize for claiming it as mine.
In A minor:

e-------------------------------5----------------------|
b--------------------------------------8---------------|
g--------5---7---7b9r7p5---------------------------|
d---/7-------------------------------------------------|
a-------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------|

Psh, blues tradition is ALL about copping licks.

fender1260
09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
e ----------------------------------------------
B --15b----------------------------------------
G -------pb16r14--12---14b16r14p12---------
D ----------------------------------14----
A -----------------------------------------------
E ------------------------------------------------

i dont know if the tab thing will work, but that is one of my all time favorite hendrix blues licks, in E minor

s7706
09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
i like:

e|------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------------------------------------|
D|----------5-----------5-----------5-----------5----|
A|-6h7---------6h7---------6h7-------6h7--------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|

mas0n
09-07-2008, 02:10 PM
This is a great topic, shouldn't be this far away from sight.

A lick from a blues book I got :

e --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B -----------8--8--8---------------------------------8--8--8------------------------------------
G -----/9---------------9p7---5----------------/9-------------9p7---5---7----5b-------------
D ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7v--------
A --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!

imgooley
09-07-2008, 02:27 PM
This thread needs a sticky

ze monsta
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, if we sticky all the stuff that deserves a sticky - we can keep JM off the front page permanently.

imgooley
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
^Works for me.

mas0n
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Well I can name at least 40 topics I'd sticky right now. Some people even deserve a couple of topics! Not Mayer tho. He deserves...An MTV Music Award?

Dchild042
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
just another pentatonic lick
I-----15b(17)-12----------------12-------------------------------I
I--12--------------12-15b(17)-----------------------------------I
I----------------------------------------14br-p12----12-------------I
I---------------------------------------------------14-----14~~~-I
I------------------------------------------------------------------I
I------------------------------------------------------------------I

i love this thread it does need one

sheppard30
09-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Short blues ending lick with style.

e-----------------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------------
g------------------8--9-10---------------------
d--9b(10)-------------------7--9b(10)r9-- 7v
a------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------

The first bend is slow, add feeling.

Dchild042
09-14-2008, 05:05 PM
if you press down on the string above the nut, you can bend an open string to get a cool little jeff beck sound. but you have to use it right or it sounds crappy in a song

DerekTheDominoe
09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
if you press down on the string above the nut, you can bend an open string to get a cool little jeff beck sound. but you have to use it right or it sounds crappy in a song

It also knocks the string out of tune if done too much.......

slidething31
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
^ Yeah but so do normal bends.

Blurry 505
09-18-2008, 10:16 PM
True. But if you just slam on the string behind the nut and divebomb it, that's almost guaranteed at least a half step off

Carswell98
09-18-2008, 10:45 PM
my favorite finishing lick in A

e--------8b9---5-------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------7b8------5---7------5----------------------------------------------------
g------------------------7------5h6------------------------------------------------
d---------------------------------------7p5-----------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------5----4~~~~~---------------------
e-----------------------------------------------5----5~~~~~---------------------

willwelsh816
09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Robert Johnson style:

|---------------------------|
|---------------------------|-
|--4--4--4--4-------------|
|--7--6--5--4------------|
|---------------------------|
|------------------3b--0--|

Dchild042
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
ive been working on pinch harmonics lately. it sounds kinda cool playin blues with squealies anyways....

i dont know if its blues buthere are a bunch of cool gilmour licks http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_gurus/david_gilmour_guitar_methods.html

guitarplaya322
10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
-------7--------7---------7--------------------------------------
----7--------7---------7-----10b~~~~~~~~~~------------
-9b------9b-------9b--------------------------------------------

sounds good with distortion if you let the 7's ring out.

Highbinder
10-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going! :D

Dchild042
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I need some help with slide licks in standard tuning, could you all post some?

Patrick L
10-25-2008, 10:21 AM
--------5h7-7b9--5---------------------
--5h7------------------------------------

Jammy Pige
11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey ya'll, jammypige here. . . I just noticed this thread and already really like the idea. I wish the blues threads were more active, but I would rather have a few real fans and some great input than a whole bunch of nothing I guess.

Anyway, I hope I can contribute something as soon as I can find time; I just wanted to say that I really like some of the licks. . . Carswell I like that ending lick as well so thanks for sharing it. . . I think I'll take a closer look at this thread :)

Flying Couch
11-02-2008, 04:05 AM
e|----------------------------
B|----------------------------
D|14--------------------------
A|---13----12-------7---------
E|------12----15-12---6-5-0---

I like to end nice energetic Emin solos with this.

guitarplaya322
11-02-2008, 02:53 PM
|-8----10-----------8---8-----------------------|
|-----------10------------10s8---[6]---[8]-[8]--|

billy gibbons lick in C

Gable_Brandon
11-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Bend ^ release bend v
l-------------------------------------------------------------------------l
l--8^10----8^10----8^10----8p5----------------------------------l
l-------------------------------------------7^8v7----5----------------l
l--------------------------------------------------------------7---------l

just a little fun lick

A good one to go with it is
l--------------5-5--------------5-5--------------5-5-------------5-5--l
l----8^10----------8^10------------8^10-----------8^10----------l
l--------------------------------------------------------------------------l

geetarmanic
11-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Short riff idea i found whilst improvising in C Pentatonic Minor. You can hear the audio in my profile here (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/geetarmanic/music/) (titled Blues Riff in C Pentatonic Minor). The basic tab is as follows:

e ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
b -----------10----8b-------------------10-----8b------------------------------
g -----------10----8b-------------------10--------------------------------------
d -----------10-----------10------------10-----------10----11----10-----8---10-
a ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e ----8--8----------------------8---8------------------------------------------

I've developed it some more since the recording.

Gable_Brandon
11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
l------------------------------------------------l
l----------------------------5------------------l
l-----------------5---7b------r7---5----------l
l--------5---7---------------------------7~~-l
l-5/7-------------------------------------------l
l------------------------------------------------l

Regibald
12-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Some simple BB King licks

Example 1:-

|----------6-------------------------|
|-------6----9--6-------------------|
|8b10------------8--6---------8---|
|------------------------8-------7---|
|---------------------------8----8---|
|-------------------------------------|

This is a modified lick from "Three O'Clock in the morning blues

Example 2:-

This is a quarter bend from the 9th fret b string(where it says 9b9.5)

|-----------6-------------------------------------|
|-------6------9b9.5-6-------------------------|
|-6h7--------------------8-|-6h7--------------|
|-------------------------------------8-8-8v----|
|-------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|

Where the | line between the 8 and 6 on the g string, you should leave a very short pause.

A few simple ones done for now :D

And I'm really liking this thread, even though I'm reading it a little late it seems...so thanks

guitarplaya322
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I need some help with slide licks in standard tuning, could you all post some?
|-----10--10\-------10s15--/14--10\---10~~~~|
|/10------------/10----------------------/10-------|
|----------------------------------------------------|
duane allman lick, actually in open E tuning, but in open e the top 2 strings stay the same so you can use this in standard :)

baylewis
12-21-2008, 04:23 AM
e|------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----12b14---12-----9--12p9--------9------12b14-----------|
G|--------------------------------------11----------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------|

This is one of my staples

Dchild042
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
e-12--12--12--12---------
B------8---10--10h11---------
G-9-----------------------12-----
D--------------------------
A----------------------------
E-------------------------

a cool octave lick in E.

Gable_Brandon
12-29-2008, 04:03 AM
l--------------5--------------------------------------------------------------l
l-----------5----7---5-------5----------------------------------------------l
l---7^9-----------------7--------7---5------------------------------------l
l--------------------------------------------7---5---------------------------l
l------------------------------------------------------7---5-----------------l
l---------------------------------------------------------------8---5--5----l

ze monsta
03-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Bumped.

JilaX^
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
|-----------8--------------------------------|
|-11s13--------11p8---------------------|
|-----------------------10s11p8-----8-9-|
|------------------------------------10-----|
|--------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------|

guitarplaya322
03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
|-5--5--5--5-------------------------|
|------------------------------------|
|-5--7--8--7--7b9p5------------------|

nostrings
03-18-2009, 11:33 PM
E||--15-12----12-----------------------------|----|----||
B||--------15----15-12----12-----------------|----|----||
G||--------------------14----14-12-----------|----|----||
D||--------------------------------14--14----|----|----||
A||------------------------------------------|----|----||
E||------------------------------------------|----|----||

Simple pentantonic run-down

E||-----------12---------------------------------|----|----||
B||-------12------15p-12h-14p-12-----------------|----|----||
G||--14b-------------------------14b--14p-12-----|----|----||
D||------------------------------------------14--|----|----||
A||----------------------------------------------|----|----||
E||----------------------------------------------|----|----||

probably already been posted, but its awesome, so ill post it again

both of the above are in Em

seth's daddy
03-19-2009, 12:12 AM
This is one of my favorite repitition licks. I'll do this one in Dm...

e---10---------10------------------10---------10-------------------
b-------13-10----10-13b-(15)-------13-10----10-13b-(15)----
g-----------------------------------------------------------------------
d-----------------------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Work this one up until you can do it pretty quick. Repeat as many times as desired.

guitarplaya322
03-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Good all around lick. I overuse it though, so watch out :D

|------------10b12~~~~--8------------|
|-----8h10---------------------10----|
|-/9---------------------------------|

MapOfYourHead
03-19-2009, 09:40 AM
|-----7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------------5---------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------4---------------------------------------------------------|
|-----7-7-6-6-5-5-4-4---2-3~-----4---------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4----------|
|------------------------------------------------2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0----------|
|------------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---------------------------|
oh so simple yet oh so effective.

probably been said in some form before, but whatever. ;)

21wickwing
03-22-2009, 10:48 PM
E|--------------7-----------------------|
B|-----------7--------------------------|
G|---9b11---------9b11---7--------|
D|--------------------------------9~---|
A|---------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------|

I found that one although i think it must have been used before because it is so easy to find.

Ever since I found that i use it way too much, it is just addicting to do.

The Clerk
03-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Right, i think the other guy answered your question but if you like i can give you a site which i personally found helpful for learning pentatonics. I'm self taught too and i didn't even know you could use minor over major for a long time..

Basically this site is good cus it's got a scale generator which allows you to see perfectly how the pentatonic scale is just moved around the fretboard for playing in other keys. the same shapes are there

btw, this isn't advertising this is a geniune thing. A lot of good info is on UG but i think a scale generator like this helps best but im sure you could probably download a similar thing online somewhere.

Just PM me if you want any info :) have fun

JilaX^
03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
You forgot posting a link, and that post was from WAY back ;)

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|pb13-11-pb13-11-pb13~~-11-8----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------10s11p8---10---8b~--------|
|----------------------------------------------------10---10------1010.|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------- |

In the key of C, of course ;)

21wickwing
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
my favorite finishing lick in A

e--------8b9---5-------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------7b8------5---7------5----------------------------------------------------
g------------------------7------5h6------------------------------------------------
d---------------------------------------7p5-----------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------5----4~~~~~---------------------
e-----------------------------------------------5----5~~~~~---------------------

LOVE IT...hahaha i was messin around with that and i came up with somethin else thats similar i also think sounds cool.

b--------7b8------5p7--5h7p5--------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------7b9--5---------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------7------------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------------5----4~~~~~---------------------
e------------------------------------------------------5----5~~~~~--------------------

guitarplaya322
03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
You forgot posting a link, and that post was from WAY back ;)

|pb13-11-pb13-11-pb13~~-11-8----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------10s11p8---10---8b~--------|
|----------------------------------------------------10---10------1010.|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------- |

In the key of C, of course ;)
nice lick here, bro!

lankyg14
03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
e|---------------------10h12p10----10------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------10h13-------------13----13p10----10----------------------------------------------|
G|----10h11--------------------------------------12-----12b14--12p10-----10~------------------------|
D|-12--------------------------------------------------------------------------12--------12p10---------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-----------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

B|-------------------------------------(x)------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------(x)------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------12--------------------------------------|
A|-10h11p10-----10~------------(x)----------------------------------------------|
E|---------------13-------13b--10----------------------------------------------|

B|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--5--------4--------3~~-----------------------------------------------|
D|--4--------3--------2~~-----------------------------------------------|
A|--5--------4--------3~~----------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------|
hope its not too complicated cause this is my first tab ever lol

JilaX^
03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
nice lick here, bro!

Yup, one of my favourites. Loosely based on some Sean Costello / Jimmie Vaughan style stuff.

I can't tab out half the stuff I do though, it all just happens :haha

21wickwing
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Standard Tuning

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------16--------------------------------------16-------------------------------|
|-----------16--14~-------------------------------16---14~-14b16--------------|
|-----------16------- 16p15p14h16-----------16---------------------16~--------|
|-16--16--------------------------------16--16-------------------------------------|
|-14--14--------------------------------14--14-------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------14-----------------------------------14--------------------------------|
|------------14--16~-14-----------------------14--12~---------------------------|
|-16--16--14------------16-16~-------------14--------14/16-16~---------------|
|-14--14----------------------------14--14--------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------12--12--------------------------------------|

lord_of_the_rif
04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
great thread :O! more licks in A :>

MapOfYourHead
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
i got bored, so heres some more

|-------5--------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----5---8-5-6-5----5--------------------------------------------------
|--7b-------------8----8-7-5---5-----------------------------------------
|----------------------------7---7-5------------------------5/7~~--------------
|------------------------------------7-5-6-5-6-5-6-5-6-5-3--------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
add hammer-ons/pull-offs when desired. its in A minor

some string skipping thing that i made up and use variations of all the time

|-------------------------------5--------8--------7-5--------------------------------
|------5-------6--------8------------------------------8-5-----------------------------
|--5-7---7-5-7---7-5-7----7-5-7----7-5-7---7-5-7-----------7b9~---5-7-4-5-4b5+r---------------
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------5s7~-
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the subject of licks, i had nothing to do earlier on today and i started transfering licks from a guitar techniques mag with a "50 rock licks you need to know" article
into tuxguitar, i got about half of them done, so if anyone wants em, ill finish it up and post the file

i also transfered a "shred like the gods" article focusing on the harmonic minor scale with gilbert malmsteen style licks. so if you want them :rolleyes:

EDIT: there you go.

guitarplaya322
04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
i got bored, so heres some more

|-------5--------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----5---8-5-6-5----5--------------------------------------------------
|--7b-------------8----8-7-5---5-----------------------------------------
|----------------------------7---7-5------------------------5/7~~--------------
|------------------------------------7-5-6-5-6-5-6-5-6-5-3--------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
add hammer-ons/pull-offs when desired. its in A minor

some string skipping thing that i made up and use variations of all the time

|-------------------------------5--------8--------7-5--------------------------------
|------5-------6--------8------------------------------8-5-----------------------------
|--5-7---7-5-7---7-5-7----7-5-7----7-5-7---7-5-7-----------7b9~---5-7-4-5-4b5+r---------------
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------5s7~-

on the subject of licks, i had nothing to do earlier on today and i started transfering licks from a guitar techniques mag with a "50 rock licks you need to know" article
into tuxguitar, i got about half of them done, so if anyone wants em, ill finish it up and post the file

i also transfered a "shred like the gods" article focusing on the harmonic minor scale with gilbert malmsteen style licks. so if you want them :rolleyes:
Post them on this thread, or PM me. :)

Highbinder
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Post them on this thread, or PM me. :)

+1, lets have a look :)

/e:

Thought I better..

|----17b---17-15-17---17b---15-17-15---15br-----------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------------15/17--15~-----------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------------12/16---------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------13b14---[slow]----
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

phlip999
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
How do you post the tabs like that? I *ahem* "made-up" a decent lick but I can't post it.

Highbinder
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Write it in note, and then use [ code] [/ code] brackets

ripple07
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---14--x----14----12~~--------12h14p12------------------12tr14-----------12tr14----
---14-------14-----------14-----------14---------14-x---------------14-x----------

MapOfYourHead
05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
|-----------------------------------------|
|------5-7-8--7-5-4(b5+r)-5/2~-----------|
|----7-----------------------------------|
^A minor pentatonic with the 2 interval of the aeolian added, plus the b5 (hexatonic blues anyone?).

|----------------------------------------------|
|--------8-------8/11--8----8------------------|
|------8-------8---------10------8b------------|
|--10-------10----------------10---------------|
^C minor penatonic lick with the final note bent up a 1/4 step and cut short.

|---------------------------------10-7---------------|
|-------7-------7-----------------------10b12--------|
|-------7-------7------10-9-7---7--------------------|
|-----9-------9---------------9-----------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------|
^B minor blues scale. i seem to skip that octave
from the g to e string alot in my pentatonic playing.

C C C C F F C
|-------------------8---10b12---------------------8---10b12-10-------12-12b13--------12b13+r---12b13----12b13+r----13-----12---------------|
|--10b13-10-13r10-8---8----------10b13-10-13r10-8---8----------10/13----------12--13-----------------13---------13----------13----------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-----------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
C major mini solo, if you can work out the timing etc, this sounds pretty good. i had a clean tone in mind for this, and let the bends breath.

the space betwwen each chord is 1 bar.

here are some more that i came up with. :p:

Regibald
05-10-2009, 07:47 AM
e-------------------------------------------------|
B-------------------------------------------------|
G-------------------------------------------------|
D----------10------------------------10/12--------|
A--10/12------12\10--8--10------------------------|
E---------------------------------10--------------|

A Peter Green lick from Black Magic Woman. It's a nice lick to play around with.

cornmancer
05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Here are a few I like

e|-----8b10--5-----------------------------------------
B|------------------8--5--8b10-------------------------
G|----------------------------------7--5--7b9----------
D|------------------------------------------------7--5--7
A|---------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------
I was just messing around and came across this one day.

e|---8b10--5----------------------
B|-----------------------------------
G|-----------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------
A|-----------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------
Two ways to do this. One is just how it looks, the other is to bend it real slow and strum 4 or 5 times while bending I don't care how far in the bend you are by then go to 5.

e|-----7b9~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bend this slowly to

e|---5-5--5-5--5-5--5-8b10-5
B|---------------------------------
G|--------------------------------
D|--------------------------------
A|---------------------------------
E|---------------------------------
Stacoto the 5s that aren't next to the bend.

P.S. Does anyone know some Keith Richards, Ron Wood, or Mick Taylor licks I haven't looked through all 10 pages yet so could you just quote it.

EDIT: We should sticky this thread.

neo14085
05-17-2009, 05:03 PM
------------5-------10p8---8-10b-8~~--
-------5-8---8/10-------10----------------
-7h8----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

have to play it in a kind of swing mood. im not much of a riff maker, just follow what my fingers do basically.

i love this thread, very educational ^.^

schecter ftw
06-20-2009, 12:57 PM
E-----------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------
D--------0------0 -----0----------------
A -1s2----1s2----1s2----2s1-----
E----------------------------------3--0

SRV anyone?

StratPlayer15
06-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Ive stolen so much shit off this thread :haha:

rocknroll93
07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
ok, so I am fairly advanced with my playing, but I have a question. why are licks on here writthen in A minor, when I thought minor for A was at like 2 frets down or somthing?

forsaknazrael
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
^sounds like you just don't understand keys.

A minor has all natural notes; there are no sharps or flats. So if a lick here has no sharps or flats, an d its tonal center is around A...It can be considered to be A minor.

rocknroll93
07-18-2009, 08:00 AM
^i understand keys, i just didnt understand that part.

thanks, i understand now!

lord_of_the_rif
07-18-2009, 11:35 AM
ok ill try contributing as well :rolleyes:

i use this way too much its in A major

------------------------------------10-12-10---------------------------|
------------10--12b13-12b13---------------12b13---------10~~-|
------/11-------------------------------------------------/11-----------|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Erasmo.Tiruri
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Awesome thread!!! I'll be playing some of the licks around here. Great help!!

Merman_of_83
07-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I play this one too much...but it's a lot of fun if you play it really intensely and with HEAVY vibrato:

E--------------5-----------------8-----------------
B------------5---8/10~~~~~~~~~-----10~~~~~~~~------
G--------7^9---------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------

The trick here is to only slide up the A string, but land on all three notes:

B-----------------5--------------------------------
G------5----5-----5h7p5----------------------------
D------5----5h7----------7~~~~~~-------------------
A-----/5h7-----------------------------------------

B--------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------
A---------/5--3~~~---------------------------------
E------------------5~~~~~~~------------------------

I'll post more later when I feel like tabbing out some of my more complicated licks...
Awesome thread though.

21wickwing
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
This one plays like Scuttle Buttin by SRV...i was inspired by Scuttle Buttin as I did this

standard tuning

|-------------------0-3/5-3---3h5p3----3p0----3----0-0----3----|
|-----0h3p0-----0----------5---------5----------3----0-0----3----|
|---0----------0-----------------------------------------------------|
|-2----------2-------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------0---0-------0-------|

just17n8
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
this thread has been soooo helpful :heart:

i cant believe ive been here so long and never entered the blues/jazz forums

sshaun007
08-03-2009, 12:19 PM
A nice B. B. King lick using the C#m Pentatonic scale. Its in 12/8 at about 90 btw.

E|-------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------12------------------------|-----------------------------9~~~~~~~~--|
G|------9--11^12------11^12-------9----------|--------9--11^12--11^12------------------|
D|9--11------------------------------11~~~~~~|9--11--------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|

And just to make it easier to view, or play for that matter, here's an image of it in GP5.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1209/bbkinglick.png (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/bbkinglick.png/)

medic24
08-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks, this has been a real good thread, please keep it going!

Dave

guitarplaya322
08-12-2009, 07:44 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/m7qt7l.jpg

This is a jazzy blues lick, I didn't transcribe it my self I actually ripped it from another forum, but its by Wes Montgomery.

StratPlayer15
08-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Heres an easy minor pentatonic SRV sounding lick..

e---------------------------------------------------|
B--------8------------------------------------------|
G---7/9----9/7----7p5-----5~~-----------------------|
D----------------------7----------------5---7-------|
A------------------------------------7--------------|
E---------------------------------------------------|

Aerokizzombie
08-15-2009, 09:09 PM
classic lick used by tons of blues players in Am

-----------5-------------------------------------------
--------5------8b10---------------------------------------
--7b9----------------------------------------------------
I like it better on 5336 (texas ****ing flood), bet yeah, I stick that all over the fretboard all the time

and I overuse
---------7-------7-------7------------
---7h9----7h9----7h9---------------
----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
use it all over the place too, fits in with any style though, not sure if it can be a blues lick

MapOfYourHead
08-15-2009, 10:27 PM
^and hey presto, its a blues lick (which i use in many different forms).

first 4 bent notes are 1/4 step (the "5's"), the "7" on the G string a half step bend, then 4 more 1/4 step bends on the "8's".

its in A minor.

http://a.imagehost.org/0211/lick_1.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0211/lick_1)

and here's another one for good luck.

http://a.imagehost.org/0054/lick_2.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0054/lick_2)

the 20th fret bend is a 1/4 step.

carmour
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
this thread urks me, i'd rather listen to songs and learn licks off them

Sir Anonymous
08-16-2009, 12:32 AM
I've been overusing the hell out of
e----5---5---5---x-5---5---5---8-7-5-------------------------|
B----5---5---5---x-5---5---5---------8-7-5-------------------|
G----7b9-7b9-7b9-x-7b9-7b9-7b9-------------7-5---5-7b9p5-----|
D----------------------------------------------7---------7---|
A------------------------------------------------------------|
E------------------------------------------------------------|

But that's pretty standard I think.

I also like
e-------------------------------|
B--2---4---5---6----7----9------|
G--4b6-6b8-7b9-8b10-9b11-11b13--|
D-------------------------------|
A-------------------------------|
E-------------------------------|
It might be a little heavy rock fo this thread though.

guitarplaya322
08-16-2009, 08:04 AM
this thread urks me, i'd rather listen to songs and learn licks off them
Me too, but this is good too.

The4thKing
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
This is a standard slow blues lead-in, but its just so nice

---------------------------------5---5---
----------------------5----7-------------
-------------5h6-------------------------
------7-----------------------------------

gabcd86
08-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey, I need some help with turnarounds. I've got the one in E, where you play the "D" shape down the neck, but I can't make that fit in A. What do you guys play at the end of a 12-bar blues in A, or in any other keys?

*takes notes*

dennisshad
09-09-2009, 01:02 AM
------5--7p5-7h8p7-5-7-5-----5--------------5----------------------
--7-------------------------------7-----7----5--7-----7~~~----------------
------------------------------------------------------------------7-6-5--3--p0--0-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------3---

here's one i have been using quite a bit. it sounds cool if you alternate the hammer ons and pull offs with bends every few times too.

(hope this lines up right when i post it. forgive my crappy tabbing, i don't mess with it much)

Highbinder
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
e----------------------------------
b------3------3-----3-3------------
g---------------1------------------
d----------------------------------
a----------------------------------
e---0------0--------0-------0------

Ripped from delta blues tips, the open E string is your quarter notes, and you're playing the E7 shape.

Then you can move it up to

b------8------8-----8-8------------
g---------------6------------------
d----------------------------------
a---5------5--------5-------5------

For your A and up two frets for your B

Simple but nice :D

psychokiller99
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
e---------------------------------------------------------------------12------------------
b----------------------------------------------------13-----13/15---------b15---------
g------------------------------12---------12h14------14------------------------------
d-----------10--12-12/14------13h14------------------------------------------------
a-10h12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e--12h15p12-------15------12--15-----12h15p12---------12-----15b17-----------------
b-----------------15------15-------------------------------15---------------------(b17)r15----
g--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b-----13--15b17---13^1/4---14~~~~~~--------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------