my little band problem

PDA

View Full Version : my little band problem

inhatredofme
02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
well me and one of my friends are working on getting a band going and so far it's just me (guitar), him (guitar) and another friend of ours (drummer) anyway my friend has been coming up with most of the riffs so far (got one song done already) but the thing is i can't stand half of his riffs. for the most part they seem really plain and well..emo-ish, to me they all sound the same. basically we all agree on the direction we want to take musically and that's to be open to playing anything which is why i haven't said anything about his riffs but when i try to get him to play something i've come up with he changes it to suit him, which i think detracts from what i've created (could be that i have a case of the i'm better than you's but i highly doubt that). how can i remedy this situation without pissing anyone off?

firebreath07
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah. Grow up. Learn that some people have different tastes in music, and not everyone can be like you.

Besides, are his riffs really THAT bad? And you even said it yourself in the post, "...to be open to playing anything..." So do you really need to ask anymore?

-Collapse-
02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Erm, it's his friend who needs to be more open, if he's ****ting on his riffs and changing them.
He's being the one who's accepting his friend's riffs for what they are and not ruining them.

inhatredofme
02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah. Grow up. Learn that some people have different tastes in music, and not everyone can be like you.

Besides, are his riffs really THAT bad? And you even said it yourself in the post, "...to be open to playing anything..." So do you really need to ask anymore?

wow, way to be a dick there buddy. i fully realize that people have different tastes in music, hell i listen to a very wide array of music myself but that doesn't mean i have to like the stuff he comes up with (some is good and some really is THAT bad) and i'm not saying my stuff doesn't suck ass either but when i play his stuff i get bored and tend to start wandering around physically and mentally while still playing...got to be a sign right?

afrothunder666
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
well me and one of my friends are working on getting a band going and so far it's just me (guitar), him (guitar) and another friend of ours (drummer) anyway my friend has been coming up with most of the riffs so far (got one song done already) but the thing is i can't stand half of his riffs. for the most part they seem really plain and well..emo-ish, to me they all sound the same. basically we all agree on the direction we want to take musically and that's to be open to playing anything which is why i haven't said anything about his riffs but when i try to get him to play something i've come up with he changes it to suit him, which i think detracts from what i've created (could be that i have a case of the i'm better than you's but i highly doubt that). how can i remedy this situation without pissing anyone off?

If he changes the riffs you write to suit himself, then you should change his riffs to suit yourself. :peace:

SSDDPunkRocker
02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
If he changes the riffs you write to suit himself, then you should change his riffs to suit yourself. :peace:

In Soviet Russia, riff change YOUUU!!

If you have two guitars, why are you complaining about how each other play the other person's riffs. If you two truly feel that you're both creative and have enough chemistry, why don't you try using one riff for a song, and if he made it, he plays it, and you come up with something to play, either backing it or even harmonizing, and vice versa if you wrote the song. It's teamwork. Like you said, you've been getting bored, so just find something to keep you on your toes.

KRSplat
02-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Just be honest and call him on it. Tell him that some of his riffs sound very similar, and explain to that you don't want to be too repetitive. And when he changes something, inform him that that's not how it's intended to be played.