Classic rock song list for a bar gig.

PDA

View Full Version : Classic rock song list for a bar gig.

HunterRiggs10
02-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah guys, to start off the band I'm in is pretty metalcore/progressive. However everyone is open to other styles of music, and because of this an owner of a pretty popular local bar wants us to learn some classic rock songs. Now, I know of a few songs, but were wanting a variety (somewhat) of hard-rock bluesy / classical rock sounding. Pretty much anything older people would like. xD ( no offense ). So anyways UG, I need some song suggestions. Or even band suggestions, anything to help. Right now were going for a few songs by Lynard Skynard, The Who, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, ZZ top, and maybe one or two harder songs that people know, like some Guns n' Roses, or Enter Sandman. Anyways something like that, just typical music that a wide variety of people 'like'. Sorry if this is the wrong forum or whatever, this is kind of the first time I've had to ask for a classic rock song list. X D. Thanks.

RockInPeaceDime
02-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Tom Petty (Mary Jane's Last Dance if you care to sing about marijuana, Refugee, Life Is A Highway), Aerosmith (Dream On, Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way..although tough voice to cover), Pink Floyd (if you're up to it), Van Halen (Mississippi Queen, Runnin With The Devil), Rolling Stones, Kansas (Carry On My Wayward Son), Bob Seger (Turn The Page), Eagles...dunno :D

imtank
02-23-2008, 02:26 AM
go to the bar your playing at...stay there for a couple hours...see what they listen to and payin special attention to which ones multipe people are singing alound in a drunken stupor and then you'll know exactly what to play

jburnett207
02-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I play guitar in a cover band w/ a bunch of older guys. We play stuff like Judas Preist, ACDC, GNR, Buckcherry, Motley Crue, and some newer stuff. But the one song that gets the older crowd goin is Ra's cover of the Police song Every little thing she does is magic. They really seem to love that one. But it looks like you dont need any help.

jburnett207
02-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Van Halen (Mississippi Queen, Runnin With The Devil),

Im pretty sure Mississippi Queen is by Mountain. But anyways that is a good jam.
Theres something about that intro solo that gives me the jollies.

HunterRiggs10
02-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Tom Petty (Mary Jane's Last Dance if you care to sing about marijuana, Refugee, Life Is A Highway), Aerosmith (Dream On, Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way..although tough voice to cover), Pink Floyd (if you're up to it), Van Halen (Mississippi Queen, Runnin With The Devil), Rolling Stones, Kansas (Carry On My Wayward Son), Bob Seger (Turn The Page), Eagles...dunno :D

Thanks a bunch, that helped out a lot.

aimeeclaire
02-23-2008, 02:54 AM
sweet child o mine(hard to cover!!) and free fallin always seem to get people up and about umm summer of 69, we will rock you, janies got a gun, living on a prayer

HunterRiggs10
02-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Heres the song list as is. It looks pretty solid to me, but tell me if you think I should add/remove anything.

ZZ Top - La Grange

The Who - Pinball Wizard

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam

AC/DC - Hell's Bells

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Van Halen - Running with devil

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

Animals - House of the Rising Sun

Johhny Cash - Hurt.

Now all thats left is to learn the songs. :P

master
02-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Brown eyed girl
old people love Jimmy Buffet
Satisfaction
Lots of Beatles

TDS
02-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Heres the song list as is. It looks pretty solid to me, but tell me if you think I should add/remove anything.

ZZ Top - La Grange

The Who - Pinball Wizard

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam

AC/DC - Hell's Bells

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Van Halen - Running with devil

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

Animals - House of the Rising Sun

Johhny Cash - Hurt.

Now all thats left is to learn the songs. :P

You are doing Cash's cover of Hurt right?

edit: also, the inclusion of a Nirvana song about Jesus seems kind of out of place for a bar gig. Maybe thats just me.

ewp805
02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd remove the Nirvana personally and add either
Rainbow- Man on the Silver Mountain
or
Deep Purple- Black Night

personally :peace:

littledude65
02-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Im pretty sure Mississippi Queen is by Mountain. But anyways that is a good jam.
Theres something about that intro solo that gives me the jollies.

It was made famous by Mountain. They didn't do it first, but in my opinion, they did it better.

Armagedn
02-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Don't De-Rock Me by Tesla- Great song for the whole band. Good drum solo, etc.
I've Gotta Rock (To Stay Alive) by Saxon
Princess of the Night by Saxon
Free Bird (if your up to it, which I doubt.)
The Trooper OR Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden.

Cinderella Man
02-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, you might try some Skynyrd. Usually when you think of bars you can imagine hearing Skynyrd playing though the speakers, well atleast I do...

Thefallofman
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
It was made famous by Mountain. They didn't do it first, but in my opinion, they did it better.
It was originally done by Mountain. There's zillions of covers, but their version was the first.

rockinlespaul
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Ha.

Nope.

Alright let's see.

Some Led Zeppelin would be cool of course, maybe some of their acoustic stuff if that's your deal. Hey Hey What Can I do, Gallows Pole, Going To California, Bron Yr-Aur, When the Levee Breaks
Some Rolling Stones would be nice, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women
Lynyrd Skynyrd, as you said, and keeping with that bluesy theme, The Allman Brothers Band? (The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Gimme Three Steps, and maybe some Midnight Rider and Elizabeth Reed?)
Neil Young (My My Hey Hey, Don't Be Denied, Down By The River)
The Marshall Tucker Band (Can't You See, Heard it in a Love Song)
Perhaps some slower Eric Clapton stuff? Bell Bottom Blues, Layla, even some of Cream's work.

MSFoSS
02-25-2008, 06:33 PM
definetly get some Zeppelin in there man

The Ocean, House of the Holy, Good Times Bad Times...

jakethesnakeLP
02-26-2008, 01:13 AM
that's right. Make sure to expand dazed and confused to like 30 minutes.