Any way's to find gig's at our age?

PDA

View Full Version : Any way's to find gig's at our age?

Deezlink
02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey,

I'm in a band, all of us are 14 (drummer's been playing 7 years, bassist 3, guitarist/singer 3, myself 2). We've learned a bunch of songs, around a bunch of different genre's, and we wanted to play more gig's/concert's/something.

We have played two though, although one was a small Holloween party thing and the other the school talent show, they don't really count.

So how can we find more oppurtunities?

roythereaper
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Try and find some under-18s clubs that have live shows on, get in contact about gigging there. Seems like a good start.

gunsnroses0017
02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
as gay as myspace sounds, start a myspace for your band, get a few friends on there, put up a few songs, and contact other bands about shows in your area. Thats what my band did and were always being asked to play shows.

Fenyx
02-24-2008, 08:28 PM
kewl, i needed help in this area too....
thnx for the thread (insert guy-that-started-this-thread's name here)!

litus
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
kewl, i needed help in this area too....
thnx for the thread (insert guy-that-started-this-thread's name here)!
instead of saying "(insert guy-that-started-this-thread's name here)" you could say TS

JLT73
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
make friends with other bands in your area and play like VFW (veterans of foreign wars) Halls

Armagedn
02-25-2008, 01:11 AM
I've been wondering about this too... We are all 15-16 but we've all been playing since we were about 8.

Avedas
02-25-2008, 01:44 AM
It's good to have contacts. My band isn't even fully put together yet, and we've already got a couple invites to shows from friend's bands.

Zander155
02-25-2008, 02:08 AM
I've been wondering about this too... We are all 15-16 but we've all been playing since we were about 8.
Wow, in the same EXACT boat.

Hammerzeit
02-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Best way to do this is get a myspace, add random local bands and just get to know them really. You could end up with a support slot if they like your stuff (upload songs to myspace btw) and it all sets in motion from there.
You could contact local promotion agencies via myspace too. The one around here is always looking for bands to support my towns 3/4 major local acts.

SlackerBabbath
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
At 14, there's nothing really to stop you getting gigs at regular venues, even if there is a bar there, just laws that say you can't drink alcohol while you're there. (There may be some law about late working hours for minors, but that'll only apply if you are actualy earning money. If you're 'officially' playing for free, then it's just you guys taking part in a hobby)
If you are a good band, level headed, and with a professional attitude, you should be able to get gigs. Sure, a lot of places might not want to book you, but others might see you as a novelty because of your age.
Once you do well in one venue and attract a decent crowd of adults, then you'll probably find that the other venues that wouldn't book you because of your age will be wanting you once they see you drawing a crowd.
Just make sure that any of your friends that are the same age as yourselves stay away from your gigs in venues that are normaly for older folks because that will probably be a venue's main concern, that they don't want their venue full of 14 year olds, and also make sure that you have an adult accompany you and that the venues know you will have an adult with you, and also that it's OK with all your parents. (of course) In fact, if you can get your parents to come along to the gig (uncool I know but hey, how badly do you want to play gigs) even better as it fills out the size of your audience, which is all a lot of venues will be bothered about.
Failing that, try youth clubs, private parties, outdoor gigs ect. Or even try hiring a function room yourself and putting your own gig on. (for this, you may also need the help of an adult) My reasoning being that function rooms are hired out for 14 year olds birthday parties all the time, so this will really be no different to the room's owner, only there will be a band on.

I organise a mini festival that my own band headline every year called Quazfest. Last year, the band who opened up the show at 3pm had a 9 year old drummer, two 14 year old guitarists, a 15 year old bassist and a 16 year old singer.
The adults that were there looked a bit surprised to see these youngsters walk up to the stage and pick up their instruments, especialy the little 9 year old, but they were 'amazing' and by the time they finished, they got one of the biggest round of applause of the day.

andychalmers102
02-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Sleep your way to the top.

LowE
02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Coffee-Houses. YMCA's. Really any local hangout with likeminded people that would be willing to let you go and do your thing. Look for open mic nights.

Good Luck,

E

stratkat
02-25-2008, 05:17 PM
as gay as myspace sounds, start a myspace for your band, get a few friends on there, put up a few songs, and contact other bands about shows in your area. Thats what my band did and were always being asked to play shows.

My band added a booking agency, I think that's what it is anyway, they're always posting bulletins how they need bands for this or that. Sometimes it's for charity events and stuff where I'm sure they'd let minors play.

Tomaz24
02-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I know it's not cool, but it really wouldn't hurt to get involved with your school. You'll get valuable gig experience and there's no better way to get the word out to people of a similar age.

Deezlink
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
M'kay, thanks for the idea's. Already have some idea's for some.

Armagedn
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, school dances are a great place to start. Actually, that's about all the gigs we've had so far. It's propelled us all the way from the bottom of the social ladder all the way to the top.

Missingno476
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much how my band got started, plus we already knew people in a few established local bands so they hooked us up w/ a couple shows. I'm not sure what the technical legality of it is, but we've played some shows at 18+ and 21+ places and gotten paid a bit, and we've got three 16yo's and two 18yo's. I believe the law in my state (Michigan) is that we're just not allowed to serve or (duh) buy alchohol, but I'm not certain on that.

Also, a lot of booking agencies will have battle of the bands-type shows where they'll basically let anyone who can sell 20 or 30 tickets play no matter how much they suck, so you should look for those in your area.

self-made_page
02-26-2008, 10:50 PM
My band is a little older than you (seniors in high school) but almost all of our gigs have been at the school. As long as you're not tearing the place apart the administration will likely be cool with it.

PS find other bands to play with you, preferably worse ones.

TechnicolorType
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Karaoke!!!

bdragob
02-29-2008, 06:05 PM
There are no hangout places around me, but dances should do.