School Help Needed From My Fellow Zombiez.

PDA

View Full Version : School Help Needed From My Fellow Zombiez.

axeslash
02-24-2008, 11:17 PM
So I'm doing a project for my History or Rock class on punk. My project is to basically do a comprehensive report on the entire history of American Punk. Now that may sound like an impressive task to tackle, but here's what I'm doing. The teacher doesn't have any references for punk. She has a book that has some info on punk, but there isn't a lesson plan, and of course the book is full of errors and leaves things out.

What I need is to basically pick out the best bands in my project. I need bands that are influential, interesting, controversial, misunderstood, underrated, just ones that will make punk interesting to non-punx. So here's my list so far:

7 Seconds
Agent Orange
Angry Samoans
Anti-Flag*
Articles of Faith
Aus-Rotten
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Battalion of Saints
Big Boys
Black Flag
Butthole Surfers
The Casualites*
Choking Victim
Circle Jerks
Cro-Mags
Cruci****s
D.I.
D.R.I.
Dead Boys
Dead Kennedys
Dead Milkmen
The Dicks
Die Kreuzen
Dropkick Murphy's*
Dwarves
DYS
Effigies
The F.U.'s
Fear
Flipper
The Freeze
Fugazi
The Germs
GG Allin*
Government Issue
Husker Du
Jerry's Kids
JFA
Leftover Crack
Limp Wrist (hells yeah)
MC5
MDC
Meat Puppets
Middle Class
Minor Threat
Minutemen
Misfits
Mojo Nixon
Morning Glory
New York Dolls
Nig Heist
No Cash
NOFX*
The Offspring*
Operation Ivy
Poison Idea
The Queers
The Ramones
Rancid*
RKL
Reagan Youth
Richard Hell
Rites Of Spring
SS Decontrol
Screeching Weasel
Scream
SOA
Suicide Machines
TSOL
Teen Idles
Television
The Vandals
X

The ones with an asterisk are ones that are there more or less just because people think they are important to punk.

So anything you have to add, please, let me know.

EDIT: List updated

DOUBLE EDIT: American Punk.

IlikeTheSKA
02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Iggy and the Stooges.

icon_player_5
02-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Alice Cooper, he did a lot for punk

axeslash
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Iggy and the Stooges.
Thanks, I couldn't do this report without Iggy.

axeslash
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Alice Cooper, he did a lot for punk
Alice Cooper wasn't punk. So he can't really go into this project.

werty22
02-24-2008, 11:28 PM
The New York Dolls and Television are important enough to be on that list. Possibly the Heartbreakers, Voidoids, and Talking Heads, too.

Iluvpowerchords
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Every band covered in the book "Please Kill Me."

In fact I wholeheartedly believe you should make your presentation as close to "Please Kill Me" as possible without plagiarizing (thats what research papers/projects are anyway.)

Essentials:

VU
NYD
The Voidoids
Television
Patti Smith
Iggy
The Ramones

among the many.

EDIT: I forgot the Dead Boys!

crustyreed
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
You have the articles of faith and the Effigies. If you add Naked raygun (most important of them all) that takes care of all chicago.
boston, LA, new york, DC. are all covered by above bands and those are the most important.
then maybe you could throw in like 'Roach motel' 'belching penguins' and 'hated youth' for a quick florida round off.

OH and napalm death are english. if you want i can do the crust and latino hardcore part for you.

Riffer_maddness
02-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Napalm Death Is Death Metal You Retard

crustyreed
02-24-2008, 11:51 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

do some learning before you call him the retard.

axeslash
02-24-2008, 11:53 PM
The New York Dolls and Television are important enough to be on that list. Possibly the Heartbreakers, Voidoids, and Talking Heads, too.
Yeah, those will definitely make the list.
You have the articles of faith and the Effigies. If you add Naked raygun (most important of them all) that takes care of all chicago.
boston, LA, new york, DC. are all covered by above bands and those are the most important.
then maybe you could throw in like 'Roach motel' 'belching penguins' and 'hated youth' for a quick florida round off.

OH and napalm death are english. if you want i can do the crust and latino hardcore part for you.
I wasn't sure on Napalm Death, so I just put it there. Naked Raygun would be good. I'm not so sure about the Florida bands, do you have any music form them?

Also I'd love some info on Crust, just the most important/influential bands and some of the original Crust bands. I honestly don't know **** about Crust.
You Are Incorrect And Your Opinion Is Invalid.

werty22
02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
You should probably mention Screeching Weasel if you're going to mention The Queers. And Green Day should probably be discussed (not saying they're punk).

axeslash
02-25-2008, 12:29 AM
You should probably mention Screeching Weasel if you're going to mention The Queers. And Green Day should probably be discussed (not saying they're punk).
Thanks. I completely forgot about Weasel. And I should mention Green Day, explaining their non-punxness.

Chaise Boogie
02-25-2008, 01:54 AM

In fact I wholeheartedly believe you should make your presentation as close to "Please Kill Me" as possible without plagiarizing (thats what research papers/projects are anyway.)

Essentials:

VU
NYD
The Voidoids
Television
Patti Smith
Iggy
The Ramones

among the many.

That reminds me. I live in a big Christian HQ doody town where all they like are "metalcore" bands, but yet our Books-A-Million store has tons of books on punk. They all suck and are boring.

waterproofpie
02-25-2008, 02:15 AM
You all fail at capslock.

axeslash
02-25-2008, 02:18 AM
You all fail at capslock.
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

recklessnick
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
aw man gg allin. turn off. booooo

BrianApocalypse
02-25-2008, 07:23 AM
You shouldn't be writing about that many different things. Your form is going to suck, believe me, I know because I write about music a few times a year.

Oh, and I read CAPSLOCK as CAP SLOCK.

Joe-Fish
02-25-2008, 07:50 AM
I read it as COCKSLAP

Don't be a punk elitist either. Don't dis bands like The Causalties and Nofx in your report.

BrianApocalypse
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
You should make out that NOFX and the Casualties are the only bands that matter.

kurtrip
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
how come bands like The Casualties, Rancid, NOFX have *
and bands like black flag, fugazi, bad brains, minor threat, minutemen dont
they were way more important

and hüsker dü needs to be added to the list

axeslash
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
You shouldn't be writing about that many different things. Your form is going to suck, believe me, I know because I write about music a few times a year.

Oh, and I read CAPSLOCK as CAP SLOCK.
The point of my project is to represent all of these bands geographically, so it's not going to be a very detailed project. I'll just write "hey, this is this band, they were active from this time, this is what their music was like, and here's a really brief description of how they were important to punk."

Like I said, this is basically for a teacher who listens to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, so I could write that the Sex Pistols invented punk and that the Minutemen were a bunch of poseurs and she would buy it.

axeslash
02-25-2008, 11:42 AM
how come bands like The Casualties, Rancid, NOFX have *
and bands like black flag, fugazi, bad brains, minor threat, minutemen dont
they were way more important

and hüsker dü needs to be added to the list
The asterisk means they aren't important. Learn to read, sucka'.

Also thanks Husker Dü is a good one to add.

pinheadslts75
02-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Patti Smith

LeftoverJared
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
agnostic front, abrasive wheels, blanks 77, conflict, kid dynamite, 4skins, the devotchkas, new york rel x, the exploited

and regardless of your opinion on them, the clash

edit:
and maybe bands like the havoc and whatever religious punk bands are out there, to clear that just because you listen to rock music doesnt mean you dont believe in God

gopherthegreat
02-26-2008, 02:12 PM
your gonna have trouble covering all those bands

BrianApocalypse
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Like I said, this is basically for a teacher who listens to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, so I could write that the Sex Pistols invented punk and that the Minutemen were a bunch of poseurs and she would buy it.

You'll have to introduce us. Sounds sexy.

I'd love to listen to the Floyd with her, maybe roll up a spliff and have sex.

LeftoverJared
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
your gonna have trouble covering all those bands

he probably isnt going to do them all, and if he is good luck

probably just wants every ones opinions so he can pluck out the bands that he sees most fit

axeslash
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
he probably isnt going to do them all, and if he is good luck

probably just wants every ones opinions so he can pluck out the bands that he sees most fit
Nah, I just wanted to get the important bands I missed. I'm gonna do them all. You'll see. You'll all see.

sargasm
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't forget 80's Anarcho!

Crass, Conflict, Icons of Filth, etc.

Very important because it branched off into both Crust and Folk Punk.

axeslash
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't forget 80's Anarcho!

Crass, Conflict, Icons of Filth, etc.

Very important because it branched off into both Crust and Folk Punk.
AMERICAN punk. AMERICAN!

SuperBlob
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
and regardless of your opinion on them, the clash
:haha:haha:haha

LeftoverJared
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
:haha:haha:haha

What I need is to basically pick out the best bands in my project. I need bands that are influential, interesting, controversial, misunderstood, underrated, just ones that will make punk interesting to non-punx. So here's my list so far:

??

the clash where very influential, regardless of if you like them or the bands they influenced

BrianApocalypse
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
They weren't American though, were they? :bonk:

mike2
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
How come your only doing american punk? I mean, i like it better than the british punk, but the brits also had some great music....and were also as influential as the americans.

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
How come your only doing american punk? I mean, i like it better than the british punk, but the brits also had some great music....and were also as influential as the americans.

Well...because even covering only American bands is a very very arduous task.

Punx&Skunx
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
All of these I dont think need to be added but considered. Maybe the Bouncing Souls, The Templars, Nausea, Pennywise, & maybe mention Mark Unseen for his work in Self Destruct, A Global Threat, and the Unseen as well as Mike Virus for The Virus, Cheap Sex, and now Evacuate. The later two are pretty big when it comes to the street punks here although i dont know if thats necessarily the case.

Edit: MDC

mike2
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Well...because even covering only American bands is a very very arduous task.

true, it just doesn't seem...complete without at least britian...australia would also be a good addition...

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
true, it just doesn't seem...complete without at least britian...australia would also be a good addition...

Well, then it wouldn't be a report on American punk. :bonk:

BrianApocalypse
02-26-2008, 04:09 PM
High five for the resurgence of the :bonk: avatar!

Australia's contribution to punk is about as laughable as Greece's contribution to the Korean war.

mike2
02-26-2008, 04:09 PM
whateves....whateves....

BrianApocalypse
02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
whateves....whateves....

:bonk:

I bonked Mike2.

Jett Diamond
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Essentials:

VU
NYD
The Voidoids
Television
Patti Smith
Iggy
The Ramones

among the many.

You win! Ya need more Velvets on your list!

DanRev
02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
I swear theres a thread on this every month :p:

mike2
02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
:bonk:

I bonked Mike2.

mmmmm.....

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM

I'd like to see a works cited page for one of these:
"Source 3 -
TheSka, ILike. Ultimate Guitar Forum Thread "School Help Needed from my Fellow Zombiez" interview. 26 Feb 2008. "

So legit.

IlikeTheSKA
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
"Source 3 -
TheSka, ILike. Ultimate Guitar Forum Thread "School Help Needed from my Fellow Zombiez" interview. 26 Feb 2008. "

So legit.

Are you saying I'm not a credible source?

I'm an incredible source.

Because I'm incredible.

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Because I'm incredible.

Psh, obviously.

DanRev
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
"Source 3 -

So legit.

His teacher turns out to be JohnnyNemo.

That would be a mishap of terrible american early 90s sitcom proportions.

original=punk
02-26-2008, 05:58 PM

That would be quite the show. I'd wach it.

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM

It'd have to be somewhat like the teacher in Peanuts: we don't actually know what Nemo looks like, and he's probably a lot taller than the rest of us...

DanRev
02-26-2008, 06:10 PM
"Saved by the powerchord"

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/DanFloyd/sbtb.jpg

axeslash
02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
"Source 3 -

So legit.
Up the MLA punx!

Doolittle
02-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Because I'm incredible.
Hello!
MLA format plz
EDIT: WAT AXE SAID!

axeslash
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, the monthly "Hey guise I'm doing a school project on Punk" sure are fun, aren't they?

IlikeTheSKA
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
It'd have to be somewhat like the teacher in Peanuts: we don't actually know what Nemo looks like, and he's probably a lot taller than the rest of us...

I'm 10 feet tall and have a funny mustache.

waterproofpie
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm 10 feet tall and have a funny mustache.

same.

opivy21
02-26-2008, 10:44 PM
:haha :haha :haha

LeftoverJared
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
They weren't American though, were they? :bonk:

i guess i missed that part :(

BrianApocalypse
02-27-2008, 11:23 AM
It's okay, we're all human. :)

As for the JohnnyNemo issue, there's a classic trick that film casting people use. If you don't know what you need, you get Herman Munster, because he's a generic enough person.

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/57/images/munsters.jpg

Johnny Skullf*ck will be played by fellow barrel-chested actor Brian Blessed.

http://www.expatica.com/photos/rad73FA3.jpg

Obviously the beard will have to go.

He will have one line - "Gordon's Alive!" someone write that in.

sargasm
02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
AMERICAN punk. AMERICAN!

lol

I have this thing where I only read every second word of the first post of any given thread.

axeslash
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
You fail.

streetlight7
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
How about Zeke, or New Bomb Turks?

lavazza
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You fail.

Tststs.....you´re talking to the President

LeftoverJared
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
even presidents can fail :/

lavazza
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
even presidents can fail :/

but you mustn´t tell them

axeslash
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
How about Zeke, or New Bomb Turks?
streetlight7? Who the **** are you?

mike2
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
streetlight7? Who the **** are you?

**** there is two now...ugh...this will be confusing, alsmost confusing as the two hardrocks that would post in here...

crustyreed
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
wait we have 2 hardrocks? I thought he was changing his avatar...

lolmnt
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
There's an Element182 floating around.

axeslash
02-27-2008, 06:39 PM
There's an Element182 floating around.
If I see an axeslash420 or something like that around here I will start bustin' heads.

lolmnt
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I think the other guy joined first

axeslash
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I think the other guy joined first
You're probably a lot more awesome than him. I'm pretty sure I'm the only axeslash on the entire interbutts.

EDIT: I am definitely not.

axeslash
02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I googled "axeslash" and I got this from Urbandictionary.com

1. axeslash

1. an absolute ****in wanker who thinks that he'll be cool if he listens to heavy music, so insecure about himself goes and ****in lets loose on people as pathetic as he is.
2. the rump ranger who goes around thinking he's so cool because he doesnt conform to anything that, in his opinion is "comecial". but at the sametime is conforming to all the other twats who think like him and at the end of the day giving in to what the "comercial comforming media" labels as rebellous and non conforming.
3. an aparent "true metaller" who cant handle being in a simple mosh. moshing aint jumpin up and down dick fag

Ahem, and i quote: The masks/boiler suits/9 members ARE gimmicks. Loads of other (better) bands don't feel the need for them and produce far better music as a result.

I don't care what type of hardcore/rock/jungle/punk you would like to classify them into, as long as you avoid the word "metal", because they do not have any of the ingredients that make up a metal band. Also I don't want people who are just starting to like REAL metal to be put off by the **** that SlipKnot's record company churn out.

Both the band and their fans are generally speaking wankers. You go to a metal gig, you expect moshing and headbanging and stagediving. What you don't expect is people trampling you when you're down. Real metallers help each other up to continue the mosh, and give each other space to headbang.
It's not big, clever, "metal" or anything else for that matter to cause pain to another person. Grow the **** up.

JesusOfSbrbia
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
^ That quote at the end sounds pretty reasonable to me....

waterproofpie
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I googled waterproofpie and all I got was my youtube profile in another language and a zillion threads on UG :(

http://hk.youtube.com/user/waterproofpie

EDIT: Sweet, and apparently I'm affiliated with a Chuck Norris web ring. I have no idea when or why this happened.

axeslash
02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
If you check for my much more used web-nickname, "Holmzito," you get a huge amount of stuff, all from me. Half of the pages are just last.fm pages and a good chunk of them are my UG tabs (which have my e-mail on them.) But unfortunately the first result is my Newgrounds profile. I was so juvenile back then. I was the unfunniest mother f-word-er you've ever seen back then.

EDIT: I beat you on googlefight.com

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=axeslash&word2=waterproofpie

IlikeTheSKA
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
www.iliketheska.com

No association.

waterproofpie
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Man, my actual name only has 946 on google fight

Well, I guess that's good...and a lot less creepy...

lolmnt
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm Brain Fellows

Did you mean: colin berry

Google thinks I can't even spell my own name :(

axeslash
02-28-2008, 12:05 AM
There's a good 20 people in the world with the name Matthew Ryann Holmes.

I'm nothing special.

JesusOfSbrbia
02-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I have a retarded European last name (either Polish or Prussian, I don't remember), and I thought I was the only person who had it, but I searched google and MySpace and there's a couple people with my name.

I have a friend whose name is Reimond, but he goes by Rei. One day I asked him if he had MySpace, and he said "yeah, just search for Rei, there can't be too many of us." It turned out that every single teenage girl in the Phillipines is named Rei. :wtf:

waterproofpie
02-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm Brain Fellows

And that bird is a liar.