Two things I'm dealing with..

PDA

View Full Version : Two things I'm dealing with..

GravityRides
02-26-2008, 01:03 AM
First one! Fan confrontation- How do I treat being approached? Being complimented? I've had a good sum of people coming up to me after a show giving me a good word..as a person i can't take compliments seriously because I think so hard on the performance whether it sucked or was alright. But people say it was awesome..but how do I make a fan/listener feel special?

Secound! I have a big show coming up with some competitive bands in my area that i'm intimidated by for the Battle of the bands. I really want to win the auidience musically/socially so could anyone spare a couple of jokes that could win an audience? Better stage presence? Any good tips for this thanks!

civildp1
02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
when someone compiments you, just say thanks. That's all you've gotta do.

I don't have any jokes off hand, sorry.

Crimson Ghost
02-26-2008, 01:11 AM
you know a good joke? ... that band (and point to one of the other bands)

wrathofthenorse
02-26-2008, 01:12 AM
ive played a lot of shows in many different areas. and even if you think you personally didnt play so well, just thank them for coming out to the show and just talk to them about music. all i can say with stage presence is just be yourself, no jokes, haha. put feeling into every note you play. and move around the stage, interact with the crowd. i dont know what music you play, but i like to get in peoples faces, (its fun to talk to them after). just have a good time up there dude.

queenofthenight
02-26-2008, 01:45 AM
First one! Fan confrontation- How do I treat being approached? Being complimented? I've had a good sum of people coming up to me after a show giving me a good word..as a person i can't take compliments seriously because I think so hard on the performance whether it sucked or was alright. But people say it was awesome..but how do I make a fan/listener feel special?

--->Smile and say thank you. Just be yourself. I know it can be hard when you know exactly where you were off, but a fan coming up and complimenting you means you sold it. At least 99 out of 100 people in the audience won't have a blessed clue where the little bobbles in your performance were if you don't signal that oops, I ****ed up. I know it's hard, but save the postmorten for after you're clear of the fans.

Secound! I have a big show coming up with some competitive bands in my area that i'm intimidated by for the Battle of the bands. I really want to win the auidience musically/socially so could anyone spare a couple of jokes that could win an audience? Better stage presence? Any good tips for this thanks!

--->Again, easier said than done sometimes, but just relax. Visualize yourself doing well. Be yourself. Be genuine. Look like you're having fun. Stay connected to your music. You don't want to be the Rolling Stones at the Superbowl, all ego, everyone up there for their own glory, no appreciation for the audience. You want to be Bon Jovi on the Have a Nice Day tour- having a good time, being a cohesive unit and showing the audience how much you appreciate them coming out to the show. Everything about Mick's body language said look at me, yeah I still got it. Jon's body language said this is so cool that all of you still want to see us perform after all this time. Which attitude would you rather watch?

SlackerBabbath
02-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Just shake their hand and say thankyou, no one is expecting anything more.

Just relax and be yourself. The audience came to see a band not a comedy act. Remember it's called a 'battle of the bands' not 'battle of the funniest guys on stage that night' If you are naturaly funny, then fair enough, but don't try to act out of character as it will show and you will come across as awkward.
Just enjoy the gig and let the music do the talking.
If you do decide to tell a couple of gags, stick to some one liners, something like 'Our guitarist accidentaly locked his keys in the van earlier, it took him half an hour to get the drummer out.'