Keep Band Practice Fun

PDA

View Full Version : Keep Band Practice Fun

guitar guy 6006
02-26-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm all about getting the songs down perfect so we can play our best at shows and so we stand out form the other bands around town.

The problem is our drummer just said he was quitting because practice isn't fun anymore, but i talked him into giving it another chance.

So how do i make band practice more fun?

fretsonfire74
02-26-2008, 02:00 AM
beer.
well that would work,but probably some more styles, more songs, involve him more.

david_highland
02-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Me and my band mates do all sorts of **** along with practice. We watch live music performances, go out for bite to eat....basically hanging out, why don't the lot of you go to an amusmant park or some ****.

freakypop
02-26-2008, 02:03 AM
u gotta chill

go smoke a bowl then get some munchies
it gets u creative

Under_The_Oath
02-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Maybe just chill out? Just screw around with some covers and shit. Pretty much just... Have fun. We practice in my mates bungalow, and we go for walks sometimes. Buy some coke, and drink. If you're old enough (obviously we're not) go buy some beer or something, and yeah, just chill out.

druz15_UG
02-26-2008, 02:07 AM
bands don't really work if there is no chemistry between the members i.e you can have a laugh together. The band im in now we used to fight all the time (me and the drummer) and it was a very negative environment and we weren't very productive. However over the course of a year, we all became friends of a sort and we have heaps of band 'in-jokes' and stuff, and we have a ball at practise and make awesome fun music and stuff. Doing stuff with them like david_highland said helps refine the relationship outside of a band situation. Serious, tight-faced musicians never have as much fun as easy-going ones, and usually the crowd doesn't have as much fun either

Under_The_Oath
02-26-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah druz speaks truth. The guys I'm with were my best friends before we even started the band.

guitar guy 6006
02-26-2008, 02:13 AM
i mean its not like we're not friends or anything its just really different at band practice i guess, we still laugh and stuff but eh idk ill see how it goes

druz15_UG
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
alternatively, kidnap the drummer and brainwash him to like the band.

Seriously, i had a good thought though, throw in maybe two songs in your set with drum solos or a jam section where he gets to do a drum solo, that'll keep him interested

EDIT: also, if you want to get songs tight, practise them, but also jam in between like every 5 songs or something to keep it interesting, because rehearsing the same songs over and over does get a bit boring

SlackerBabbath
02-26-2008, 06:01 AM
We always make sure that wherever we practice, there is also a bar. Then when we've finished, we go for a drink, game of pool and a good natter.
As for the practice itself, try jamming more rather than going for total perfection.
My own band went through something similar a while ago. Because we are a Sabbath tribute, the music HAS to be right and as near to the original as we can get it, but the problem is, after a while of playing the same songs over and over again it gets boring. So at one rehearsal, when everyone was standing around all saying 'Chist man, this is boring. I really can't be bothered with this tonight!' We just had a jam instead.
We started with the drummer who layed a beat down, then the bassist joined in, then the guitarist, and finaly I made some words up on the spur and the next thing you know, we've written a new song.
Now we're starting a side project with the same line up because we have all these original songs that we don't want to go to waste.

AwesomeDrummer
02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
my band just turn up to practise, we practise for an hour or so, then we usually hav lunch... then we practise for an hour or so, then we watch a movie, then we practise. we just **** around for a good few hours in other words, and we still manage to get songs done. i think the key is to not take it too seriously.

ARandomBassist
02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Have a general chill out session throwing in bites to eat and some fun other stuff but ultimately, if you want him to not get bored so much, have some shorter band practises than you have been having that he gets to do lots in (?)

At my practises we have in-jokes, food, drink and band-bonding sessions were you go on the web and chat about stuff that you see like funny videos and crap...

Armagedn
02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
You could slow down your practices for a while. One a week would be good enough.

gald
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
We generally run through a 20-30 min warm-up of our own songs (that are already down pat) which is fun because since we're not trying to perfect them anymore we can mess around a bit and improv parts.

Then we'll get serious for an hour or so and work on new stuff, or try and get newer songs nice and tight.

After that we generally kind of pass around instruments and jam/**** around for a bit so everyone gets to play some drums (even though all three of the guitarists are terrible at them, we have fun with it.) Alot of times our bassists dad will come hang out and have a couple beers with us and bring his harmonica and we do a little blues jam which is always fun.

Then we try running through a set of newer songs without stopping (even for a ****-up) and call it a night.

Another thing we've found helps to keep it fun is to have some friends hanging out with us. Sometimes it can be a distraction during the "serious" time, but during the jams and our own songs it's a good time.

We also will throw in random jams in the middle of even the seirous parts for a few minutes to get a break.

self-made_page
02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Chill out. Nobody's going to know/care if your song isn't totally tight, and it surely isn't worth losing your drummer just because that triplet figure doesn't work smoothly.