songwriter?

PDA

View Full Version : songwriter?

KewlChristian
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
my friend and i made a band he s making lyrics but he wants someone else to i think we should be original. so... i think we should write our own is it alrght to hire someone to write it 4 u

toine
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
did you find the lessons you wanted?
:)

Martindecorum
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
it is alright if they say so and its siometimes good to get an extra hand.. but m ake sure u talk copy rightwith him.

HUNYeti
02-26-2008, 09:39 AM
if someine else write the songs for you, then you not better than any Tribute band...

ScreaminSavior
02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
itz alright if itz 1 or 2 songs, but if itz more than that then there's no point in being in a band. but i guess as long as itz only 1 or 2 songs.

valdean
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
So your vocalist will just let other people make songs, and you will work with composing it?
Does that sound fair to you?

stratkat
02-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Alot of people sing other peoples lyrics, like they have a small team of songwriters that aren't part of the band.

I write the lyrics for my band, and I never plan on singing them, which doesn't bother me, I just like hearing my music put together with a band:] I've been writing for years though, so I like to think mine are decent, they're a hell of a lot better then a lot of popular band's lyrics imo. But I'd rather have crappy lyrics then use someone elses. Just tell him if he's not comfortable with his lyrics to just keep working on them, and read a lot, that really helps writing.

AwesomeDrummer
02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
if someine else write the songs for you, then you not better than any Tribute band...

+1

Armagedn
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
If he's your sound engineer or manager or something... I consider them to be a part of the band too, especially the roadies and sound engineers.

vacancy33
02-26-2008, 10:25 PM
its ok alot of band hav people right lyrics but im the lead guitarist in my band and i write all the guitar bass drums and lyrics for our songs

Jearl
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
if someone outside of the band is writing your songs, you'd probably have to pay him or something.

and work out a legal document and stuff.

i mean, if you get famous with his songs, he could try to take action against you. and since you didnt write the songs, it might work.

in the end, be careful.

SlackerBabbath
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
:eek: Begyerpardon?

KewlChristian.
Many top artist have people writing for them, infact, before the Beatles happened, that was the norm in the recording industry.
There's no reason why it couldn't work out OK for you to do it this way, but it will mean splitting any profits your band makes from recordings a little thinner.
It's always better to write your own lyrics, but if you're struggling to do this, what other option do you have?
I remember years ago, when I was first starting out in my first original band, I was struggling to write the lyrics to a great tune that our guitarists had written between them. Our roadie (who was present) turned up to rehearsals the next week with a set of lyrics that he'd written for the song that was far superior to what I had written, so I tried them out. After that, everyone said that we should use them, and I wasn't particulary bothered that they weren't my lyrics, so I agreed, but just to be on the safe side, we got a contract drawn up giving us all the rights to the lyrics in exchange for 50.
He was happy (he wasn't expecting to make any money from the lyrics, he was just trying to help us out and said he'd be perfectly happy if we just credited it to 'band') we were happy, and the song was released on the 'b' side of our second single. (but we still credited the lyrics to him on the record cover.)

axemanchris
03-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Holy crap.... thank God Slacker came in and saved this thread.

Even the biggest of stars get people to write songs with them or for them. Sometimes it is the record company that sets this up and encourages it. Some very big artists' very biggest hits were written by people that most of us have never heard of.

Desmond Child: (Kiss, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, and more!!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Desmond_Child_songs

Robi Rosa: (started with Menudo [okay.... hilarious, I know], went on to form way kickass band called Maggie's Dream [Lenny Kravitz' backup band before he went solo.... but funkier and edgier and overall better than Kravitz], and now Ricky Martin [fine, don't like him, but when Rosa and Desmond Child got together, they wrote one of the biggest hits of all time.... go figure!])
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_Rosa#Maggie.E2.80.99s_Dream

Never mind that Elton John, Meatloaf and Brian Adams - again, some of the biggest hit-writers of all time have people that they regularly co-write with whose names are not familiar to the average person.

CT

SlackerBabbath
03-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Holy crap.... thank God Slacker came in and saved this thread.

Sigged. ;)

Gurgle!Argh!
03-02-2008, 09:09 AM
for once, i'm gonna agree (to an extent) with slacker. some great artists have a lot of songs which were co-written. ryan adams is a great artist; most of his early solo stuff is co-written. because he works best that way. personally, i'm not into people playing other peoples songs as a course of habit, but co-writing isn't really a problem.

SlackerBabbath
03-03-2008, 04:13 AM
for once, i'm gonna agree (to an extent) with slacker.
:eek:
Argh... my heart!!!
;)

axemanchris
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Sigged. ;)
:cheers:

You're welcome.... :cool:

CT

axemanchris
03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey... just found some Maggie's Dream on Youtube.... great band! (link to thread - see post above)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEmbRgKogY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdI5gRdvwU

CT