Bass problems

PDA

View Full Version : Bass problems

fedora bora
02-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Well a buddy of mine got a guitar about a year ago and I have been jamming with him just about every weekend since. I guess I have been kind of taking him under my wing and I've been trying to get him up to speed. Now he has a friend who has been drumming for 6 years and he is pretty good, so we have kind of been playing with him a lot too. My buddy who plays guitar is also kind of our vocalist and I write all of the guitar and bass stuff. The bass stuff is really easy and is more or less just an easier version of the guitar riffs. The other guys really want a bassist since I can't play bass and guitar at the same time, but I don't know anyone who play bass. My little brother has a bass and the other guitar players little sister plays bass, but neither like our genre of music or have the will to really play. I know a guy who really wants to play bass and he likes our music and everything, but he doesn't have a bass. We don't have the money to get him a bass and amps and stuff and I know he won't be so great. I'm worried he wont be up to speed with our songs and it will take a lot of time teaching him more how to play bass. What should I do? See if I can get my brother's bass and let him play or go without? I think having a bass player would bennifit our songs and our sound a lot but I don't want one if it will do the opposite.

jthm_guitarist
02-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Keep looking for bass players, it will always benefit the music.

dullsilver_mike
02-27-2008, 02:14 AM
If you dumbed down some guitar parts and tried to pass them off as basslines why would he have any trouble keeping up? The biggest worry might be sounding like a band without a bass even if you have one because the bassplayer is playing guitar riffs ;)

SlackerBabbath
02-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Well a buddy of mine got a guitar about a year ago and I have been jamming with him just about every weekend since. I guess I have been kind of taking him under my wing and I've been trying to get him up to speed. Now he has a friend who has been drumming for 6 years and he is pretty good, so we have kind of been playing with him a lot too. My buddy who plays guitar is also kind of our vocalist and I write all of the guitar and bass stuff. The bass stuff is really easy and is more or less just an easier version of the guitar riffs. The other guys really want a bassist since I can't play bass and guitar at the same time, but I don't know anyone who play bass. My little brother has a bass and the other guitar players little sister plays bass, but neither like our genre of music or have the will to really play. I know a guy who really wants to play bass and he likes our music and everything, but he doesn't have a bass. We don't have the money to get him a bass and amps and stuff and I know he won't be so great. I'm worried he wont be up to speed with our songs and it will take a lot of time teaching him more how to play bass. What should I do? See if I can get my brother's bass and let him play or go without? I think having a bass player would bennifit our songs and our sound a lot but I don't want one if it will do the opposite.
I'd say you should maybe see if you can borrow your brothers (or even your guitarist's sister's) bass guitar and try the guy out. If it 'clicks' then see if he can borrow the gear until he/you/the band can sort him out with a bass of his own.
I've been in bands with members too poor to buy their own gear before and we've always got around it by borrowing gear (and obviously making sure it's well looked after) to get us to a stage where we're ready to play gigs, then put all the money made from the first few earning gigs into buying any equipment that's vitaly needed (which will then be owned by the band, until whoever plays the equipment can afford to buy it from the band)
The guy may not be up to speed, but he can learn and he obviously already has the yearning to learn so half the battle's won already.
Put it this way, it may take time to get him up to speed, but failing that, how long will it take to find another bassist, then get them up to speed?
Don't be in too much of a rush to get your band happening, take your time, get the line up right, check out different possibilities, and it'll all be worthwhile.

fedora bora
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, Ill see if we can get together soon and Ill see if my brother will let us use his bass.