Super Glue?

PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue?

captivate
02-27-2008, 07:06 PM
I've heard that super glue can help thicken callouses... yes? no? and if so, how much do i apply onto my fingers?

Are there any downsides? On saturday, im going to be playing about... 7 hours straight, and i know that theres no way my fingers will last that long without a large amount of pain. I'm hoping that this can help a bit.

slidething31
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
i dont think it would actually thicken your callouses. It would just leave a layer of glue on your fingers. Ive never tried it but i dont think i would.

anita prs bad
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Superglue wil most definitly form a rock hard shell on your fingers and will help with finger pain. You can use it if you hurt one of your fingertips and have an open wound and have to play. just apply thin layer to fingertip and blow on it to dry superglue dreis almost instantly on human skin hence do not touch two superglue fingertips to each other until they r dry! SERIOUSLY it will instabond if you do dont know about any medical problems im sure youll find out in twenty years though. but 7 hours i would be worried about my wrist perhaps get a wrist brace between sets and deffinitly massage your hands in down time good luck i know i couldnt do it. but im only a hobby guitarist trying to do the open mic thing and see what happens.

captivate
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
mm, ok. i think i will try it. i dont have an open wound, but i wanted something to help me play for that long amount of time. i've been doing 4 hour practices every saturday for the last 4 or 5 months give or take. it's been brutal on my fingers.

AndrewDulina
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
You can use it if you hurt one of your fingertips and have an open wound and have to play.

I would not find that safe at all. You could easely get some sort of infection with chemicals from the glue. I would not recomend doing that unless you ask a doctor.

Jerome G
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
^ true, superglue is not sterile and there is a chance of infection.
But he is on the right track, they make a medical "superglue" under the brand name Dermabond, that is used for minor lacerations.

captivate
02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
hmm... my dad's not going to let me use normal superglue. he says it's not good for me. maybe i'll look for this dermabond superglue-like substance.

melbournian
02-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Nick Seymour, the bassist from Crowded House, used superglue on an open wound on his finger a number of times, and got it okayed by a doctor when he sheepishly told him what he was doing (the doctor suggested nail varnish). It's probably fine...the human body's pretty tough. I used to paint methylated spirits on the open blisters on my toes when I was dancing in pointe shoes, to dry out and harden up the skin. That would also work on open blisters on your fingers, but probably wouldn't do much otherwise.

Chad48309
02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Honestly, the super glue trick won't do much for you. Tape, maybe.

I'd just rough it.

Dok Waw
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
mm, ok. i think i will try it. i dont have an open wound, but i wanted something to help me play for that long amount of time. i've been doing 4 hour practices every saturday for the last 4 or 5 months give or take. it's been brutal on my fingers.

Superglue wont do the trick....if your fingers hurt already...your body is jst telling you to stop for a while....rest...proceed...rest.......your fingers will just get used to it....

anita prs bad
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I would not find that safe at all. You could easely get some sort of infection with chemicals from the glue. I would not recomend doing that unless you ask a doctor.
Actually my wife is a doctor totally married up i recommend it to anyone but back on point she is the one who told me about it and also there is something in most adhesives that kills bacteria i cant remeber what its called but i ask when she gets home i have done it before it does help it is not the cure all and all miracle but it will help you get through one gig i work construction and unfortunatley hurt and or cut my finger tips alot and it works for real but totally listen to your pops if he says no go then no go.

Highbinder
02-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Dude, if you've been playing 4 hour practises every week (and I assume playing between in your own time) your fingers should have decent callouses, and if they don't then it shouldn't be long off before they do. Why bother with glue?

If your fingers are hurting a little you shouldbe able to keep playing, but don't push it! Usually if something hurts theres a reason!

Chad48309
02-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Dude, if you've been playing 4 hour practises every week (and I assume playing between in your own time) your fingers should have decent callouses, and if they don't then it shouldn't be long off before they do. Why bother with glue?

If your fingers are hurting a little you shouldbe able to keep playing, but don't push it! Usually if something hurts theres a reason!
He knows that better than anyone else on here. His point was that he has a performance coming up in a short period of time, and he just wants something to "cap" his fingers so that he can make it through. You need to pay attention more.

captivate
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
my callouses are kinda peeling off >.< but they hurt quite a bit after 4 hours straight every practice regardless. My callouses are actually quite thick, but 4 hours is still quite a long time as well. 7 hours is going to kill me.

johnos
02-29-2008, 10:41 PM
can you maybe not play for 7 hours? like reduce the time?
cos that is a long time. I'm don't know many people who could play for 7 hours...or even 4 actually.

captivate
02-29-2008, 11:25 PM
cant reduce it... the conference im playing for is approaching fast. it's during march break... so we're practicing like crazy right now, haha.

DanielQ
02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Theoretically, it would dull or stop the pain if you're playing for long amounts of time.

wikeytgw
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
hi
i need to harden my finger tips, i am a bit unwell having a form of cancer and the chemo i am taking makes my fingers and toes really sore and thins the skin.

so i need to harden the skin to keep on playing. does the superglue work, no old wives tails or urban myths,
any one out there actualdy used it and able to give real feedback

cheers
wikey tgw
england

g1jammer
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
It was an old blues trick but I also use between nail and finger when I have done too much bending and my fingers are sore...works a treat...see link

http://www.articlesbase.com/music-articles/guitar-players-super-glue-finger-tips-437107.html

Also see below

" Superglue has also proved to be a life-saver. During the Vietnam War soldiers were issued with tubes to seal stomach wounds in the battlefield.

A redefined formulation is now used to seal post-operative wounds worldwide".

wikeytgw
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
tthanks for that g1jammer. i have read it. i shall get some and have a go.

tuxs
09-14-2012, 08:46 PM
I have used it numerous times. Its good if you havent been playing for while and skin has gone a little soft. Just a small drop on each finger tip does the trick. Another much older way was to quickly touch the stove element, a few days later tougher skin. With both of these
ideas a little common sense is needed. Cheers

alex0160
09-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Another much older way was to quickly touch the stove element
That's absurd! It only takes 3-4 days of playing until you don't need to worry about calluses. Your method will put you out for a week and the the callus probably wont be as good and risk not being in the right place.

tuxs
09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Dont tell me its absurb. And no it doesn't put you out for a week. It works very quickly.
Did you read my last sentence, a little common sense is needed. Cheers

|Long|
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
I have used it numerous times. Its good if you havent been playing for while and skin has gone a little soft. Just a small drop on each finger tip does the trick. Another much older way was to quickly touch the stove element, a few days later tougher skin. With both of these
ideas a little common sense is needed. Cheers
This screams Darwin Awards. I wouldn't recommend anyone to put them selves in danger. Prolonged heat exposure - burns - can severely damage nerve endings. One can simply listen to their body and let things heal naturally first, else, super glue can work.

Also, this is a necro'd thread from 2008.

Lord Kamina
09-15-2012, 11:15 PM

I've met surgeons who use superglue on themselves when they get a cut. And for what it's worth; yes, a surgeon told us about this on a surgery class. No, it's definitely not sterile and definitely not the best solution but it can definitely help with a not-too-serious-wound when you're in a bit of a tight spot.