Battle of the Bands

PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bands

littledude65
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Me and the band that I'm in seem to be having a small argument over whether or not to enter a battle of the bannds in our town. We don't have that much experience, but I think that it would be a great way to see where we are at, and tat it would be a good experience. Do you think that they are right and that we aren't ready, or that we should enter?

Jenkin4182
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Do it. At least it'll be fun for awhile.

Tazeyo
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Say this: "I think this could be cool! If we practice hard now so we will feel more confident and do our best!"

I think that could sort it, pump them band mates up.

teethdude
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Defiantly just make sure you got the song down pretty good, you don't get anywhere if you don't play live.

corrie_911
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
do it. the stage experience is priceless. go ahead and start shows as early as possible so u get the hang of playing together. trust me it will help a lot.

metalhead987
02-27-2008, 07:45 PM
well my band's first show is a battle of the bands and it forced us to get everything down really well.
even if you guys dont do well in the competition, you'll be ready to play other shows afterwards.
so, its a great learning experience. just go out and have fun with it

kyle62
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
If you 'don't have much experience', you need some.
Band nights are a nice friendly way of getting into live playing and usually good fun too. You can also make contacts with other bands and generally get yourselves known a little beter. Though try and avoid the really money-hungry ones that ask you to sell lots of tickets or pay a 'registration fee'.

littledude65
02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
well my band's first show is a battle of the bands and it forced us to get everything down really well.
even if you guys dont do well in the competition, you'll be ready to play other shows afterwards.
so, its a great learning experience. just go out and have fun with it

See, that's exactly what I thought. We aren't really going to be that sad if we lose. This is just mostly for experience, and to see wherer we're at.

cactus
02-28-2008, 04:11 AM
You'll never have any experience if you don't go look for it. I say go for it as playing in the battle will really force you to work hard, good luck.

FuzzyBear
02-28-2008, 08:22 AM
although everyone is right saying that you cant beat the experience

please please please please PLEASE make sure you have a set ready and can actually play your songs

far too many bands start playing gigs when theyre totally not ready, remember first impressions are important, if you play and it sounds like you dont have a clue noone is going to forget that and probably wont come out to see you again

Colohue
02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
First off you should probably find out who else is playing, then check your setlist. It's definately valid.

Find out how long they want you to play for. If you don't know that much material now it isn't best to enter. If you do then work hard on it and go for it. It can only make you aware of any problems with your music or your tone or just the sound balance between your instruments.

JLT73
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
do it! greatest experience ever!

just make sure you have you **** together so you guys don't sound like ass.

SlackerBabbath
02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Depends how you look at it.
Battle of the bands competitions are well known for ripping off bands.
The competition promoters generaly put up prize money, or a prize worth the same amount of money that would actualy be a normal wage for a lot of bands. So they get a load of bands to play and only pay one of them for their services, also, quite a few of them are fixed because they are organised by the management of the winning band just to gain publicity for their band, and line their pockets a the same time and many bands refuse to take part in them on principle.
But.
To a new band that needs all the publicity and gigging experience they can get, it can be worth it just to play in front of a decent audience.
I know I played quite a few of them when I was just starting out but I won't do them now.

littledude65
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, we're going to practice for a while and see how we do. If we think that we can get it down, then we'll go for it. None of us are bad or anything, but we're just not that used to playing with each other. How does our setlist sound so far?

Panama - Van Halen
Dream On - Aerosmith
Live and Let Die - Guns N' Roses
?

Vandals572
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
you should have AT LEAST one original imo

littledude65
02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Thats just preliminaries. we'll have time for another song if we make it to the finals, but we don't think that we'll have enough time to practice and write new stuff.

Vandals572
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
then i geuss you have to go with covers, make sure you have them down pat

Armagedn
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Definitely add Don't De-Rock Me by Tesla. That about the best crowd-grabber you can ask for.

dissident52
02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I've played battles where we've been dead last, but we didn't care. It was exposure and experience.

But those at those shows, we were going up against very popular local acts.

Symmetry4321
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Do it, and do your best, it shows you where you are at and how hard you have to work to be the best in your area

metallicaboy27
03-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Do you guys live in newfoundland?