Keyboards

PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards

TheOperator
02-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Could a keyboard replace a bassist? I'd much rather have a bassist but I cant find one :confused: .

Also do you think I could work keyboards into song covers that don't have them?

fudger
02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
yea a keyboradist can work look at the doors they didnt have a bassist a mildy sucessful band if i must say so myself

dude21666
02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
personally, i think you'd end up better with a bassist. but wat do i know, u might end up creating some new type of music and get rich! =D

Sonicxlover
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I suppose you could depending on what genre you play. But I would much prefer a bassist.

The bassist fills up a sonic range that would be missing with a keyboardist. It's not about hearing that really, but about the feeling of completeness that a bass provides. Without a bass it feels empty. A keyboardist may be able to play the same notes, but it won't have the same low end.

Zycho
02-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Just have him work that left hand out.

ChrisSousa
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Keyboards can make a song really great some examples Won't Ge Fooled Again, Roundabout, and YYZ. You just have to get the right keyboard for the music your playing. I reccomend a synthesizer or if you can a get sampling keyboard. It all depends on what type of music you want to play. You probably would be better off with the bass though because you better have someone pretty damn good at keyboards to make it over a bass line.

shortyafter
02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
A bassist would be best, but it can work. The left hand can fill out some of the sonic range that a bass would. Have the keyboardist focus mainly on the left hand.. Keep looking for a bassist though.

Raizer Sabre
03-01-2008, 03:03 AM
edguy started out using bass on keyboard, so it can work. and as for the covers, you can if you know what you're doing. look at the aces high cover by children of bodom. no keys in the original, but they still managed to incorportate it in really well.

pandora_grunt
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
edguy started out using bass on keyboard, so it can work. and as for the covers, you can if you know what you're doing. look at the aces high cover by children of bodom. no keys in the original, but they still managed to incorportate it in really well.

A you beat me to it :P

I've seen people using synthesizer to create wicked bass sounds and play those basslines with two hands for a lot of bass in a song. It can work indeed.

however if you have a split function on keyboard, you can solely use your left hand for bassparts, and your right hand for say, pads, or an extra melody with a special instrument.

Raizer Sabre
03-01-2008, 06:16 AM
A you beat me to it :P

I've seen people using synthesizer to create wicked bass sounds and play those basslines with two hands for a lot of bass in a song. It can work indeed.

however if you have a split function on keyboard, you can solely use your left hand for bassparts, and your right hand for say, pads, or an extra melody with a special instrument.

bill bailey does that on his live shows, especially in cosmic jam and part troll. if you go on youtube and look up the scale of evil or the jazz trio by him, you'll see what i mean

Gurgle!Argh!
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
i really wouldnt pin your hopes on a keyboard player 'replacing' a bassist. my band has both. the keys player plays a lot of notes right in the bottom octave, mostly on piano based settings but occasionally on synths. its very different to what the bassist does.

Wulver
03-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, I know that old Hammond organs and such had bass pedals one could use to fill that end of the spectrum. Hell, during live shows John Paul Jones (of Led Zeppelin) would switch over to keyboards for certain songs and just use the bass pedals to fill in the low end, and their sound wasn't diminished in the least. Then again, he IS John Paul Jones, and I doubt your keyboardist is......no offense intended, just saying....