Im being jealous right?

PDA

View Full Version : Im being jealous right?

RedFez64
03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok long story short our bands been going fine, atm i was playing rythym/vox. My vocals have been complemented on by everyone random people and objectively id say ive handled jeff buckley covers quite well as have randomers. However our lead guitarist has become friends with a girl who would like to sing for our band, this band is a struggle between rock of the radiohead muse incubus variety and indiefunk of the chillis and bloc party kind.

Shes a grade 5 singer so she ought to be pretty good despite my own short stint of singing training i never took that long even if i have been told i have a great voice plenty of times she ought to be better than me. I think im just being paranoid ill be replaced, call me egotistical but i quite like being a frontman and think im rather good at it, and even worse i subconciously find female frontmen....not great.

Im being stupid right?

Gunpowder
03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Why not just have two singers? You could switch off harmonies and all that and back each other up.

Colohue
03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
If you're the singer and she wants to sing there's no room for her. Not being jealous there.

If you're happy doing backup vocals, you're not jealous you're just unsure of what you want.

If you want to share vocals for say some Evanescence or Nightwish covers you're not being jealous just realistic.

You're being defensive yes, but not jealous and if some girl was being told she could sing when I was the singer I'd be damned defensive too.

RedFez64
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
not an evanescence fan, But yeah harmonies and things sound ok. well see, she sounds a bit of a flake anyway.

are female frontman crap?

aleckillscobra
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
no, you're not jealous at all. id be pissed if someone was trying to get someone better than me in the band. just tell her that your not comfortable having another singer. and if shes as good as you say, shell have no trouble making her own band anyway.

stradivari310
03-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok long story short our bands been going fine, atm i was playing rythym/vox. My vocals have been complemented on by everyone random people and objectively id say ive handled jeff buckley covers quite well as have randomers. However our lead guitarist has become friends with a girl who would like to sing for our band, this band is a struggle between rock of the radiohead muse incubus variety and indiefunk of the chillis and bloc party kind.

Shes a grade 5 singer so she ought to be pretty good despite my own short stint of singing training i never took that long even if i have been told i have a great voice plenty of times she ought to be better than me. I think im just being paranoid ill be replaced, call me egotistical but i quite like being a frontman and think im rather good at it, and even worse i subconciously find female frontmen....not great.

Im being stupid right?
My band went through the same thing with our bassist wanting to sing, and the girl we picked up is not only an amazing singer but a classically taught guitarist with 5 years of training. Needless to say it made us twice as good, and even though she's lead vocalist she doesn't take over fronting duties. You don't have to have a frontman.

EDIT: Also, anyone who thinks all female frontmen sound like evanescence should listen to my MP3's.

Colohue
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Singer isn't always the front man. This is worth remembering. A frontman is actually more concerned behind the scenes. He/she is the front to a manager, a recording agent, a potential client and the band themselves.

qotsa1998
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
switch off. Maybe do your own individual songs or do the Taking Back Sunday thing and both sing in the same song. It would even better with a guy and a girl i think. And female lead singers not being great? what about Gwen Stefani with No Doubt, Nico with the Velvet Underground, the woman from the Cranberries, the sisters form Heart, and, more recently, Hayley Williams from Paramore (awesome singer, decent band), and Noelle from very '80s influenced Damone? Just my opinion tho.

stradivari310
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Singer isn't always the front man. This is worth remembering. A frontman is actually more concerned behind the scenes. He/she is the front to a manager, a recording agent, a potential client and the band themselves.
I agree. Even though I'm the lead guitarist I still front the band because I'm in charge of management and booking.

redhawk1029
03-01-2008, 04:38 PM
you gotta do whats best for the band and do what everyone wants. what should your music sound like? although, usually once a female singer enters the band, you might be known as a chick band. think it through. but no, not jealous.

SweetsForLife
03-01-2008, 04:38 PM
are female frontman crap?

Well...they tend to be better at frontwomen ;)

Jastul
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM
what the guys above said

keep in mind, though that this could also be a good thing, if you play rhythm and she comes in you could have double vocal parts, which could lead to some cool harmonies between both of you, and since the band's songs and overall sound are already tailored to your vocals then you will still keep your place, and the band will still need your vocals to keep the same groove it has, just think of it as adding another instrument, but don't worry too much about it

Colohue
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Best is that you've identified that you're feeling pushed out and challenged by this new girl. This means you can take steps to do what you think needs to be done. I suggest talking to her and your friend, seeing what potential it gives her and him, hearing her singing for yourself for one thing (she might be awesome and make your band skyrocket) and even more importantly, it might give you the opening to deliver some truly awesome guitar stuff because you can concentrate on harmonising with your other guitarist or creating chord progressions that can blow a crowd out of the water. Failing that it gives you the chance to work with your voice even more and learn from this girl, increasing your overall ability and proficiency in both instruments.

All else fails you'd be better off for future bands. All doesn't fail and you're going to be doing pretty good and feeling good about it. However, if your lead guitarist has seen a girl he fancies and wants to get her in the band because he wants to get into her pants best to not allow it. Let her sing you a song and see if it fits your style.

RedFez64
03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
female singer enters the band, you might be known as a chick band

My problem with frontwomen, primitive and stupid it is.

Yeah suppose weve got to see if shes any good first for the style,

by frontman i meant in crowd interaction terms. i cant name a single truly great female crowd worker in the same way as mercury plant buckley etc

FeiRei
03-01-2008, 06:14 PM
by frontman i meant in crowd interaction terms. i cant name a single truly great female crowd worker in the same way as mercury plant buckley etc

Joan Jett, Bangles, Blondie. All of these women will work their crowds into a frenzy. It is about personality no gender.

Colohue
03-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I can't sing to save my life, but people always enjoy watching me play regardless of who I have singing because I'm the one who communicates with the crowd. In fact it adds to the pleasure of working with a band because, while during play all the focus is spread around all of the different musicians, the focus comes back to me when I take the microphone and say 'Hi, we're your entertainment this evening.'

In truth a singer is the same as any other musician, just people tend to let them do the talking because musicians need to re-tune or alter their amp settings or check the setlist. If you don't have these things to do you're as free to talk as anybody else. This girl might be incredibly shy. You never know. If you like being the front and your band-mates respect that then keep that position. However, it's a completely seperate position from that of lead singer. You already seem to have the reputation as the frontman and that won't go away with a new singer, unless you let it.

MetalMusicianAl
03-01-2008, 06:17 PM
send her back where she belongs. the kitchen. no seriously have a band meeting and do a vote on what the band whats to do and if not just say you're the singer.

Zycho
03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Having a girl singer changes your sound drastically, make sure you guys want it first.

AwesomeDrummer
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Why not just have two singers? You could switch off harmonies and all that and back each other up.

if you were going to do that you'd have to be really good at song-writing to pull it off

LeperAffinity
03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd say it's perfectly reasonable, I do lead guitar and vocals in my band and I'd be flat out pissed off if I got told that some chick might replace my vocals... The only time a band should consider replacing a member is if that member isn't performing up to standard and by the sounds of it - you are!
Another thing is that, if the lead guitarist has a more than friendly interest in her, having her in the band could be very damaging eg. if they break up or have an argument.. Or he might side with her on everything just to keep on good terms rather than going with what's musically best for the band.

My final point is that a female singer drastically alters how a band sounds so unless you're unhappy with the sound you have - don't change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

DeadMeadow
03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Dont how many female vocalists do you listen to, I listen to hardly none, I dont find most that great, with a few exceptions.

SlackerBabbath
03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Try her out, you never know what adding another member to the band will do until you try them out, but it'd be a shame not to at least see what she can bring to your band. It could be something really good.
I was always the lead singer and bassist in any bands I was in, but I remember the buzz I got the first time I joined a band and did bass and harmonising backing vocals to another lead singer. It was well worth it.
Once you've tried her out, have a band meeting to decide what you want to do. Make sure that no one is wanting her in just because they find her attractive or anything as un-musical as that. If she gets in, it should be purely on musical merit and an ability to get along equaly with the rest of the band members, and nothing else.

stringmagician
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers Twosingers