Bluegrass & Punk?

PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass & Punk?

Chaise Boogie
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking about attempting to make a baby with the two. I mean, they mix punk with every other god damn genre out there, why not make bluegrass?

Could it be like, Bluegrass but with distortion and more yelling?
Or Punk with a twang and fast guitars?

I think I'll try to cover a good bluegrass song and if I can morph it into a punk song, then I'll assume we have a winner.

Yay for spring break!

lolmnt
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Are you talking about folk punk?

I know blue grass and folk are different

Chaise Boogie
03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm talking about Bluegrass Punk.

The fast **** from Kentucky.

Iluvpowerchords
03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Bluegrass + Distortion = crap. So I doubt what you're thinking will work.

You could play uptempo buegrass jams about fun and sincere things that reflect your personality. Everyone could drink moonshine and jig along.

That would actually be fun.

Chaise Boogie
03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Bluegrass + Distortion = crap. So I doubt what you're thinking will work.

You could play uptempo buegrass jams about fun and sincere things that reflect your personality. Everyone could drink moonshine and jig along.

That would actually be fun.

No son, I think it can be done. I think it should be more punk, with some bluegrass influences. But I've been listening to some bluegrass, and all the songs sound the same.

It will be hard.

Kozlic
03-01-2008, 05:43 PM
that would be perfect :D
I like bluegrass and I LOVE punk :D
if you succeed lemme know alright? ;)

lavazza
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Blowing the watering can with punk speed.......mhm......please do it

Chaise Boogie
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Only god damn problem, is I have no idea what scales they use. I can pick that fast, but I don't know what to play, exactly.

hooligan07
03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Only god damn problem, is I have no idea what scales they use. I can pick that fast, but I don't know what to play, exactly.
ask the people in the theory forum
they might be able to help out

werty22
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
The folks in Musician Talk (including myself) would tell you that scales aren't very genre-specific at all. Scales aren't usually used to write music, they're more often used to analyze music. Almost all western music is based on the major scale and its modes. Bluegrass is no exception. Most bluegrass songs are in major keys.

Edit: as far as what to play, you'll probably mostly just be picking arpeggios fast.

Mav-16
03-02-2008, 04:17 AM
The folks in Musician Talk (including myself) would tell you that scales aren't very genre-specific at all. Scales aren't usually used to write music, they're more often used to analyze music. Almost all western music is based on the major scale and its modes. Bluegrass is no exception. Most bluegrass songs are in major keys.

Edit: as far as what to play, you'll probably mostly just be picking arpeggios fast.

yep and arpeggios ar fun and easy too

whyvern
03-02-2008, 01:58 PM
They're called the Can Kickers.

lolmnt
03-02-2008, 02:01 PM
They're called the Can Kickers.I love the Can Kickers

original=punk
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Dude, learn flatpicking on an acoustic before you attempt bluegrass. It's such a useful skill. Iluvpowerchords' idea sounds much better than throwing distortion on bluegrass tunes, that qwuite frankly sounds stupid, and is basically along the same lines as a punk band covering a Top 40 song.

Chaise Boogie
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Dude, learn flatpicking on an acoustic before you attempt bluegrass. It's such a useful skill. Iluvpowerchords' idea sounds much better than throwing distortion on bluegrass tunes, that qwuite frankly sounds stupid, and is basically along the same lines as a punk band covering a Top 40 song.

Bluegrass has a very unique sound and style and can, and I swear by it, be hybridizeded with punk.

Give me some time, I'll have it figured out.

gopherthegreat
03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
i'd like to hear this

Beakwithteeth
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
But I've been listening to some bluegrass, and all the songs sound the same.

That's a very ignorant statement and idk why you would want to mix a genre you don't like with one you do, it seems like you would be watering down something you enjoy.

On a positive note, it can be done, the only band I know of is Split Lip Rayfield but they're pretty good. Bluegrass can be mixed with anything.

Also it mostly uses major scales. :)

crustyreed
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Oh **** i was thinking i know a guy up here who plays banjo. Nutty.

RockThe40oz
03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxzMBlTQUAU&feature=related

Wookiedude
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.myspace.com/the357stringband

seen 'em with Th' Legendary Shack Shackers
not bad

neidnarb11890
03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
They're called the Can Kickers.
And they're awesome :liplick:

Chaise Boogie
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
That's a very ignorant statement and idk why you would want to mix a genre you don't like with one you do, it seems like you would be watering down something you enjoy.

On a positive note, it can be done, the only band I know of is Split Lip Rayfield but they're pretty good. Bluegrass can be mixed with anything.

Also it mostly uses major scales. :)

I'm not, I like Bluegrass. It's just, I don't listen to it enough to really pick it apart.

Beakwithteeth
03-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not, I like Bluegrass. It's just, I don't listen to it enough to really pick it apart.

Listen to some more progressive bluegrass. Don't be scared by me using the word "progressive" in a punk forum, it just means it is more than all fast paced I IV V progressions and stuff.

newyorkdolls138
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Bluegrass with lots of drums would sound pretty punk to me.
Buy a banjo.
I did.
I know I did.
I ****ing did.

It' great

Beakwithteeth
03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Bluegrass is ok with drums, I have heard a few bands with them, they just have to be pretty minimal.