Blues & Jazz AOTM: Monk’s Dream by Thelonious Monk

PDA

View Full Version : Blues & Jazz AOTM: Monk’s Dream by Thelonious Monk

imgooley
03-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Blues & Jazz AOTM: Monk’s Dream by Thelonious Monk
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Monks_Dream_by_Thelonious.jpg‎
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Monks_Dream_by_Thelonious.jpg
Monk’s Dream is the first album released by Thelonious Monk (Officially The Thelonious Monk Quartet) after signing with Columbia Records in 1962. It consist of 8 tracks and was released in 1963.

1. “Monk’s Dream” - The opening track on side A of the album. A true showcase of the creative improvisation for which Monk was famous. Especially notable is the drumming of Frankie Dunlop and the tenor sax playing by Charlie Rouse.

2. “Body and Soul” - A solo piece by Monk. There are few words that can describe the sheer beauty of this song. The most drawing part for me is the dissonant chords that he uses in the rhythm of the song. It blends quite well with the melody.

3. “Bright Mississippi” - An nice upbeat song. It was a great transition from the peaceful preceding track. The play between piano and sax is especially notable.

4. “Five Spot Blues” - Like the title says, one of the more bluesy tracks on the album. The only thought that came to mind while listening to this song was the essence of cool.

5. “Bolivar Blues” - A little smoother than the previous track. “Bolivar Blues” again has awesome play between piano and saxophone, but what shines to me is the walking style bass line of John Ore.

6. “Just a Gigalo” - Another wonderful display of the sheer virtuosity of Thelonious Monk. Also one of the more somber tracks on the album, and one of my personal favorites.

7. “Bye-Ya” - When the drums start beating in the intro, the song just takes off. This song makes me want to get up and dance because it so rhythmically sound.

8. “Sweet and Lovely” - An appropriate track to wrap up the album. It showcases the musical prowess of all four members of the quartet.

One of my favorite albums of all time. It clearly influenced many contemporary artist. A true classic.

imgooley
03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Can someone tell me how to post an image, because I can't seem to do it right

ze monsta
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
picture location here

imgooley
03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
ok pic added

Andrewbiles
03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
The other one only went up like a week ago, so I'm going to sticky both for March.
:cheers:

Jimmy94
03-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I'll have to pick this one up, I've been on a monk tear lately

imgooley
03-03-2008, 02:56 AM
It's an awesome album. I'm trying to find it on vinyl

imgooley
03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
So what do you guys think? I would love to hear some feedback

Jimmy94
03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
it's in the mail, should be here by friday

imgooley
03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
How'd you like it Jim?

Good? Bad?

"putnamehere"
03-13-2008, 02:58 AM
I've owned this for quite some time now. Definitely a masterpiece.

Carswell98
03-13-2008, 03:19 AM
if you were to check my last fm, you would see that I have been playing the **** out of this album, it's great. :)

Jimmy94
03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
How'd you like it Jim?

Good? Bad?

haha, it didn't get here before my spring break started, so I still haven't listened to it yet. patience young grasshopper!

Stratwizard
03-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I have this album. Good stuff... :cool:

imgooley
03-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I had a lot of fun writing that review. I am going to school to be a writer, so I need feedback!

anyway, my favorite track on the record was Body and Soul

imgooley
03-16-2008, 02:54 AM
I had a lot of fun writing that review. I am going to school to be a writer, so I need feedback!

anyway, my favorite track on the record was Body and Soul

Jimmy94
03-16-2008, 06:04 PM
this album was awesome, I especially enjoyed monk's dream, body and soul, bright mississippi and sweet and lovely.

This is going on top of my stereo, I'll be listening to it a lot the next few days.

imgooley
03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
this album was awesome, I especially enjoyed monk's dream, body and soul, bright mississippi and sweet and lovely.

This is going on top of my stereo, I'll be listening to it a lot the next few days.
Body and Soul is one of my favorite songs of all time.

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Free bump, goolz.....

Wait that's me