How Do A Fast, Heavy Punk Band Get Tight?

PDA

View Full Version : How Do A Fast, Heavy Punk Band Get Tight?

recklessnick
03-02-2008, 01:03 AM
i was just wondering if anyone is in an experienced hardcore punk band. how did you guys get tight playing so fast and so distorted and heavy you can barely make out anything from where you are standing?
my band rehearses like 4-5hrs every week for months now and we were good during rehearsals.
but yesterday night we played a show and we totally messed 2 songs up completely, the timings were seriously off and everyone couldnt hear each other, the singer was singing at his own pace, the drummer can hear the singer so he plays at his own pace, and the other guitarist and i were struggling to keep up. and it sounded like **** and felt like ****.
how do fast bands get good?

civildp1
03-02-2008, 01:06 AM
they practice a ton. That's about it. And everyone counts the correct timing.

smi5575
03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
practise

GoDrex
03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Bands get tight by playing. A LOT. Until it's second nature to them. Of course being able to hear each other might help.

I found in my old band that you had to rely on the drummer to drive the songs. He's pretty much in control and he shouldn't be trying to follow anyone else that much if at all. He's got to know how the songs go. So I'd recommend playing to the drums. if you're playing guitar the best thing to do is lock in on the snare. If everyone locks in on the drummer, even if his tempo wanders a little you'll all pretty much be in the same place.

original=punk
03-02-2008, 01:37 AM
i was just wondering if anyone is in an experienced hardcore punk band. how did you guys get tight playing so fast and so distorted and heavy you can barely make out anything from where you are standing?
my band rehearses like 4-5hrs every week for months now and we were good during rehearsals.
but yesterday night we played a show and we totally messed 2 songs up completely, the timings were seriously off and everyone couldnt hear each other, the singer was singing at his own pace, the drummer can hear the singer so he plays at his own pace, and the other guitarist and i were struggling to keep up. and it sounded like **** and felt like ****.

that sounds like hardcore punk to me xD. whoo boy, c'mon, i had to say it.

IlikeTheSKA
03-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Play 30 second songs.

lavazza
03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Are you talking a bout this thrash thing like Vitamin X or something like 200-220 bpm?

Cause most of our songs have a speed around 200bpm, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but itīs an old stage illness, you have to come around with that you cannot hear each other, we practise once a week and we can do it , you can do a lot with eye contact

malted_bee
03-02-2008, 10:21 AM
when we practice we play the song a couple of times at a steady pace.... but we never play at the same speed twice
playign a gig the other night..... the speed tends to go wiht the mood
everyone was jumping screaming and pogoing about
we started the intro to F*kc emo by cheap sex and its the fastest song ive ever palyed live ever
just keepa t it and let it flow

lavazza
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
we started the intro to F*kc emo by cheap sex and its the fastest song ive ever palyed live ever

We played this song either.....but I think in our setlist it was one of the slowest

BrianApocalypse
03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
If you guys are sloppy, you need to slow down until you can hit it perfectly at that tempo, thne work your way up.

EDIT: Or, you could learn to play your instruments and write some decent music, then you won't have to play extremely fast to cover up your lack of virtuosity.

hardrock1315
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Really, you have to just get better at playing your instruments. Play with a metronome or play along with music when you're not practicing. Practice your instrument more when you're not practicing with your band.

EDIT: BrianApocalypse's advice is good, too. Play as fast as you want, though, just don't be sloppy.

Ska Wars
03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Do you not have a bassist? That could be your first problem, the bassist should tie the drums and guitars together. Also, do you guys have that problem when you're practicing? Now, I've never played in a band before, but maybe it could help to just imagine that you're just practicing next time you play a show.

StreetLight3989
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
This is what people don't realize, punk is not that easy. I mean look at how fast and tight The Ramones played consistently, that's not easy.

crustyreed
03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
play faster. thats how.

seriously its all eye contact and practice practice practice.

but seriously play faster.

BrianApocalypse
03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
This is what people don't realize, punk is not that easy. I mean look at how fast and tight The Ramones played consistently, that's not easy.

A lot of punk bands pre-empt EVERY beat, which people tend to have a hard time picking up.

malted_bee
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
We played this song either.....but I think in our setlist it was one of the slowest

yeah...... it sounds better slow
it just kinda happened

StreetLight3989
03-02-2008, 05:15 PM
A lot of punk bands pre-empt EVERY beat, which people tend to have a hard time picking up.
True, if you haven't heard it a lot it could be pretty hard to pick up.

werty22
03-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Yes, but to be fair, speed metal bands do the same with much more technical music.

lavazza
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah...... it sounds better slow
it just kinda happened

maybe the rest was even faster.....but I donīt know

Mav-16
03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Black Flag practiced for hours 6 days a week

recklessnick
03-04-2008, 03:14 AM
and to be honest, black flag doesnt sound very tight at all in their recordings

BrianApocalypse
03-04-2008, 05:59 AM
I suggest vaginal laser surgery.

FuzzyBear
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
just keep practicing is the most important thing to get tight

have you played many shows? because playing infront of people is a whole difference ballgame to back in the practice room, the more gigs you play the more relaxed youll be and the better youll play

another thing is at the gig was there a soundguy and did you get a soundcheck? that can make a huge difference. Should always get your levels right before you play if you get the chance and a good/bad sound guy or venue can really make or break your sound. If you cant hear each other clearly then your going to have trouble playing in time, I like to make sure theres lots of vocals in the monitors and that i can hear myself and the drums clearly.

hope that helps

OrgasmAddict
03-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Every band gets tight with practice. To have a tight punk band your guitarist/bassist will have to have very good rhythm. As for the mention of Ramones playing fast. Johnny Ramone played downstrokes the same speed as the hi hat try to keep that up for an hour and a half at a show. Your arm will fall of.