need a punk band

PDA

View Full Version : need a punk band

teddytheturtle
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
soo I'm putting on a show on June 27 in Toronto. The venue capacity is 850. I need a really good, well-known headliner that can fill it up at a minimum of $20 per ticket. Can't be on a major label. I don't care if they're from out of town (or out of the country), but they can't be located outside of North America anytime in the second half of May and all of June. I'm posting this here because I would prefer a punk or ska-punk band, but if you know a really good rock band (not pop-punk or emo) that fits what I want, that's helpful too. I'm just looking for suggestions.

cody733
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd say Streetlight Manifesto but they're already playing in T.O. in late April, which isn't too bad, but they might not draw as much of a crowd.

edit: ah hell, that's not bad at all

another edit: wait, you're looking to fill an 850 capacity venue in toronto at 20 bucks a ticket.. which is $17000

I'm going to dramatically overestimate costs, because I know they're extremely variable, but..
How much is it costing you to rent the venue? $3000-$4000 tops? You're probably paying out about $1500 for your headliner if they're greedy bastards, maybe $1500-2000 for 4-5 openers.. that's 7500 dollars to pay out.. spend maybe $50 on promotion getting flyers printed up, another $30-40 for someone to design that if they're a greedy bastard, so say $7600 dollars just for fun.

That means you're looking to make at least $9400 bucks off of this show.

You shouldn't be in the business of putting on punk shows. You're too greedy.

sargasm
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
$20 is way too much for a punk show.

crustyreed
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Wouldnt work
20 dollar show with less than 8 punk bands is a total and complete rip off, in 95% of all our eyes.

gopherthegreat
03-02-2008, 10:00 PM
thats too much cash for a ticket. but if you look, there are lots of bands that would fit your situation.

teddytheturtle
03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm going to dramatically overestimate costs, because I know they're extremely variable, but..
How much is it costing you to rent the venue? $3000-$4000 tops? You're probably paying out about $1500 for your headliner if they're greedy bastards, maybe $1500-2000 for 4-5 openers.. that's 7500 dollars to pay out.. spend maybe $50 on promotion getting flyers printed up, another $30-40 for someone to design that if they're a greedy bastard, so say $7600 dollars just for fun.

That means you're looking to make at least $9400 bucks off of this show.

You shouldn't be in the business of putting on punk shows. You're too greedy.

The venue is close to $3000 (it will be slightly over if I add pit security, which I probably will). I'm willing to pay up to $7000 for an out of town headliner (including travel expenses), probably about $1000 for 4-6 openers, and $300-$400 for promotion.

And the profit goes to:

1. more punk shows
2. the humane society

So yeah.

thats too much cash for a ticket. but if you look, there are lots of bands that would fit your situation.

I'm looking. I just want to know what other people think.

crustyreed
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
The venue is close to $3000 (it will be slightly over if I add pit security, which I probably will). I'm willing to pay up to $7000 for an out of town headliner (including travel expenses), probably about $1000 for 4-6 openers, and $300-$400 for promotion.

And the profit goes to:

1. more punk shows
2. the humane society

So yeah.

I'm looking. I just want to know what other people think.

Whats 'pit security'?

in regards to number one, it seems you dont know what a punk show is.

teddytheturtle
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Whats 'pit security'?

extra security that watches over the mosh pit

IlikeTheSKA
03-02-2008, 10:31 PM
If you can't keep it under $10 per person, then I wouldn't bother.

$8 with mustache.

RockThe40oz
03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
You're not going to find a punk band not on a major record label that will play a show for $20+ a ticket with 'pit security'... and you'll have a harder time finding 850 kids that will actually pay that much to go to a show like that

teddytheturtle
03-02-2008, 10:56 PM
I just looked up the Streetlight Manifesto show. It's at a different venue with the same capacity. Only two openers. $16.50 for a ticket. April 24 (a Thursday). If they can charge $16.50 for only three bands during exam week for college students and on a school night for high school kids, then how is it unreasonable to expect people to pay $20 for more bands on a weekend in the summer?

lolmnt
03-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I just looked up the Streetlight Manifesto show. It's at a different venue with the same capacity. Only two openers. $16.50 for a ticket. April 24 (a Thursday). If they can charge $16.50 for only three bands during exam week for college students and on a school night for high school kids, then how is it unreasonable to expect people to pay $20 for more bands on a weekend in the summer?Well, a band as popular as Streetlight can get away with charging $20 for a ticket. What we need to know is how big of a band are you talking about.

crustyreed
03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I just looked up the Streetlight Manifesto show. It's at a different venue with the same capacity. Only two openers. $16.50 for a ticket. April 24 (a Thursday). If they can charge $16.50 for only three bands during exam week for college students and on a school night for high school kids, then how is it unreasonable to expect people to pay $20 for more bands on a weekend in the summer?

thats a rip off.
but their headliners are probaly good. Sounds like your going to have one punk band and 7 other assorted bands.

EDIT: it may not be that bad cause streetlight may have 7+ members.

teddytheturtle
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Streetlight has 7 members. I'm looking to get a band about as big as them or a little bigger. If I have a punk band headlining I'm going to have at least 2 or 3 more punk bands.

lavazza
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Streetlight has 7 members. I'm looking to get a band about as big as them or a little bigger. If I have a punk band headlining I'm going to have at least 2 or 3 more punk bands.

ONE Punk band with more than 7 members??????

I would say Adolescents or Bad Brains, they cost a lot (at least in Europe) and they are famous and but they donīt consist of 7 persons

lolmnt
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
ONE Punk band with more than 7 members??????

I would say Adolescents or Bad Brains, they cost a lot (at least in Europe) and they are famous and but they donīt consist of 7 personsHe means big as in popularity

whyvern
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
don't book shows at that venue. Find a dive bar or rent out a knights of columbus for 50 bucks and do the show there. You've obviously never booked a show before. You're not gonna get 850 people at a punk show no matter what you do.

AT MOST you're gonna get 100 people. And that's if you get a really awesome band to play and promote the **** outta it.

Also no one in their right mind will pay more than 8 buck (Canadian) for a show.

Yer also thinking too much about money man. Shows are about having fun, not about making money.

You could get ****ed Up from Toronto to play at yer show, I'm sure they draw alotta people.

lavazza
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
^Itīs not that difficult, really if the band plays at an agglomeration-area and is big (thereīs also a "big" in the Underground scene) then thereīs no problem, but 20 Dollars is too much, I think even Canadian Dollars

He means big as in popularity

ah ok......then take Offspring^^ or if youīre punks then da Casualties

sargasm
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Career Suicide might be a good choice. They're a pretty well known band, and I'm pretty sure they're from Tdot.

streetlight7
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey try Big D and the Kids Table. I don't know if they will be on tour when you want your show, but its worth a shot.

dannay
03-03-2008, 02:02 PM
extra security that watches over the mosh pit
those guys are ****ing idiots. dont hire any. also, **** security entirely. if you're "tr00 ponx" as some people would put it, let the kids on stage.

Mav-16
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
those guys are ****ing idiots. dont hire any. also, **** security entirely. if you're "tr00 ponx" as some people would put it, let the kids on stage.

+1 to that

security???? give me a break...

but Carreer Suicide would be a sweet choice very awesome band right there.

crustyreed
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah Career suicide and ****ed up are both from toronto, but CS definitely won't do it. ****ed up maybe, but none of their fans would go.

hooligan07
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
the templars

cody733
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
alright, I like where the profit is going to..

um, i'm going to second the Big D and the Kids Table motion.. my vocalist booked them for his old band's last show last year, but I forget how much they were to book.

I'm gonna suggest talking to Matt from Panda Productions, he can probably give you some really good ideas. He's probably the best promoter I know in the Barrie/Toronto area and he's always got something big going on.

http://www.myspace.com/barrieshows

and out of curiosity, which venue are you booking?

teddytheturtle
03-06-2008, 03:11 AM
alright, I like where the profit is going to..

um, i'm going to second the Big D and the Kids Table motion.. my vocalist booked them for his old band's last show last year, but I forget how much they were to book.

I'm gonna suggest talking to Matt from Panda Productions, he can probably give you some really good ideas. He's probably the best promoter I know in the Barrie/Toronto area and he's always got something big going on.

http://www.myspace.com/barrieshows

and out of curiosity, which venue are you booking?

I have The Opera House already booked.
yeah, I think I'm gonna try to get Big D and the Kids Table. if I can't then maybe the Casualties.
Thanks a lot.

FuzzyBear
03-06-2008, 05:57 AM
i think your plan is a little ambitious for someone who doesnt even have in mind a couple of bands to play, you are going to loose alot of money if anything goes wrong

Gabuydachk
03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
no offense dude, but i don't that your gig is going to work out. you shouldn't be trying to run a punk show throwing around that much money without even knowing who's going to play it yet. it's dangerous. i would just try a cheaper, smaller, less over-the-top venue if i were you.