Me starting a band...?

PDA

View Full Version : Me starting a band...?

Supafly1824
03-03-2008, 12:29 AM
So here's the story... imagine a guy like Kurt Cobain or Jack White wanting to play guitar and start/be in a band... so they tryout using their songs they made (no vocals, I cant sing).

Wouldnt most people laugh at them? -_-

Ive been playing for about 9-10 months now and consider myself to be alright. Got my chords down and all, all the basics, etc. Im not that fast though... the fastest thing might be stuff like master of puppets rhythm, or metallica's One solo (the end), im working on it.

I want to do rhythm of course. However, I have one very strong skill... which is song writing. Both lyrically and instrumentally, I can write good original stuff. I've always had that very creative mind... so I consider this a very useful skill.

But where do you guys think I should start in terms of getting into a band or forming my own. Im guessing I might have a better shot forming my own. I'm turning 16 soon, and this is the first time I would ever consider something like this, so im not familiarized with the whole thing and how it works.

I was listening to some local bands and thought to myself "Wow, if I dedicated myself to this I am sure I can write better music"... and of course the excitement came over me playing the local shows that happen where I live and how much I would love playing in front of the crowd and all. However... im kinda worried that when I try to get into a band people will see my playing ability and see it as average (though my overall writing skills and such is high). Which is why I think it migh tbe better to start my own thing and convince friends to give it a shot...?

Suggestions? Thanks. I really want to be in a band now.... but I kind of see it like a baseball player or something... he might be great and hit for a .400 average, but never gets that chance to play since hes only about 5'6 :P

toshiro umezewa
03-03-2008, 12:32 AM
go for it. if you can write well, then find people to join you.
btw, where do you live?

Supafly1824
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Bronx, New York.

the boogieman
03-03-2008, 12:35 AM
talk to some friends or some people you know and try jamming with people

eventually you'll find some people you gel with and want to start a band with

toshiro umezewa
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
ah, dam. was hoping you lived near me xD
i cant write music for **** xD

civildp1
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
just ask around school to see if anyone you know plays instruments. Or put up a flyer at your local music store.

stop speaking so highly about your songwriting skills, I have a feeling you're not as good as you think you are.

Supafly1824
03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I don't think im good... and I WISH I could compare myself to guys like cobain or white, sorry.. I didn't want to come out that way. Just saying that it is a good skill I have... not great, but theyre ok. But compared to local bands that are popular here, I think I match up <________<

civildp1
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't think im good... and I WISH I could compare myself to guys like cobain or white, sorry.. I didn't want to come out that way. Just saying that it is a good skill I have... not great, but theyre ok. But compared to local bands that are popular here, I think I match up <________<

fair enough.

At your age, school is the best place to look.

Supafly1824
03-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Yea... im gonna start with school. But the thing is I thought it would be kinda awkward asking guys who are a lot better than me in playing ability and all. And im hoping people take me seriously enough...

Armagedn
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
If you can write songs, people will definitely be interested. A lot of bands end up playing covers their whole carreer 'cause they can't write anything. If you ask around, you should be able to find some people.