The traveling wilburys (most underated band in history)

PDA

View Full Version : The traveling wilburys (most underated band in history)

lukewhiteside
03-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey, lets talk about them

Bob Dylan
Georgre Harrison
Roy Orbinson
Tom Petty
Jeff lynne

Tell me a band with more talented and famous members

Peace,love&rock'nroll

Farstrider
03-03-2008, 11:36 PM
It was Jeff Lynne in the Wilburys, not Jeff Healey.

lukewhiteside
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
^my bad.

Carswell98
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
In my experience, no amount of talent can replace vision and solidarity as a group, neither of which the TW displayed very well, that being said, they were pretty damned good.

I have a bootlegged copy of the TWs and John Fogerty, it kicks ass

Hobolad
03-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Such a fun group! And yeah, I agree, underrated.

Cptbeefheart
03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Their first album is fun and laid back. Its good to put on just to relax.

Hobolad
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
The second one (Volume 3) has it's moments too. Dylan's vocals on If You Belonged to Me are ace.

Roy McCartney
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Volume 3 has the best songs: You took my breath away, Poor house, my baby are my fav.

lukewhiteside
03-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Dirty world and trader and the monkey man rock!

Wulver
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Considering it was nothing but a fun little side project for these guys, it's amazing just how good most of the music is. I've only heard Volume 1, and only keep about five of the songs on my iPod (the best ones), but it's all pretty good, mixed in with some absolutely outstanding stuff.

Think I might try and get one of these sometime: http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsale_gretsch_tw200.html

Dylanesque2
03-05-2008, 04:27 AM
I love playing End of the Line :) Great band/collection of musicians. I recently bought the rereleased albums, with DVD included; great little documentary, would advise all to see it!

Roy McCartney
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
They used to say that they didn't care about their albums' succes, but after all they won the platinum disc for the volume 1. I almost cry when I saw the True Story... on the part when they're recording the "End of the Line" video without Roy Orbison, and they put his guitar on the chair. In the video when I see that part I feel.....you know.....aawwww!

DayTripper1967
03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
handle with care is a great song, though i would have prefered it more if harrison sang all the parts, i think petty and dylan's part "everybody's got somebody to lean on" (or whatever they say) just sounds so off for some reason.

good group though.

daytripper75
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
theyre not bad. i have the traveling wilburys collection.

Uber-rocker
03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I've got their greatest hits collection, but I haven't listened to it thoroughly yet :( End Of The Line is an awesome song, they were playing it on VH1 the other day. Handle With Care pops up every now and then as well.

I am the Drake
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
They were pretty good. Considering all of the great people that were in the band they could have done much better though. I still think that they were pretty great though.

Wulver
03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
They were pretty good. Considering all of the great people that were in the band they could have done much better though. I still think that they were pretty great though.

Well, they really didn't put too much effort into it. It was just a side project, a nice little diversion. Take it from that perspective, and it's quite amazing stuff.

Small Print
03-29-2008, 11:03 AM
They're just a fun band, which is amazing considering the egos in the band. Very refreshing.

MTVget0FFtheAIR
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
They're just a fun band, which is amazing considering the egos in the band. Very refreshing.

exactly. if they had actually put a lot of time and effort into this band, it would have been catastrophic to human society. it's likely their songs would have been so damn good that entire civilizations would fade into extinction solely because everybody spent all of their time and money on TW albums and memorabilia and no longer had a desire for anything else, including sexual reproduction. humans would have been destroyed forever. therefore, the CIA saw to it that the band kept it leisurely and effortless. ;)

Wulver
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
exactly. if they had actually put a lot of time and effort into this band, it would have been catastrophic to human society. it's likely their songs would have been so damn good that entire civilizations would fade into extinction solely because everybody spent all of their time and money on TW albums and memorabilia and no longer had a desire for anything else, including sexual reproduction. humans would have been destroyed forever. therefore, the CIA saw to it that the band kept it leisurely and effortless. ;)

But, that means......the CIA killed Roy Orbison!!

:eek:

Pinballwizard93
03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
They used to say that they didn't care about their albums' succes, but after all they won the platinum disc for the volume 1. I almost cry when I saw the True Story... on the part when they're recording the "End of the Line" video without Roy Orbison, and they put his guitar on the chair. In the video when I see that part I feel.....you know.....aawwww!

Yeah it is pretty sad. kinda wierd though, cause that part is where the lights start flickering and the chair starts rocking with his guitar in it. sad and creepy. Roy seemed like a good guy.

Roy McCartney
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, I won't deny that awesome theory about the end of the humans. They were old-rock-pioneers, so they didn't have a single reason to put effort, but they were good friends and the succes was not a matter of life and death

jucsville
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
you forgot to include neil young. he was one of the original members

Roy McCartney
05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Neil Young is gay

Roy McCartney
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
We forgot Ayrton Wilbury (Dhani Harrison) and Jim Keltner

Rounder01
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Traveling wilburys are a group with so much Starpower....

Bob Dylan's songwriting and George Harrison's Guitar work = god.

Griffin*
05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Neil Young is gay

you're a moron

Rounder01
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
you're a moron

+1

Such a idiotic statement on so many levels.

BrainDamage
05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Neil Young is gay Get the fuck out of the Classic Rock forum.

I have a Wilburys CD somewhere around here. I should give it another listen, it's been a while.

lukewhiteside
05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
^for real
neil young is one of or THE best folk-rock artists ever
But i didnt know he was a member of the band

RHCP94
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Neil Young was NOT in the Wilburys.

That being said, I think the most remarkable feat of the band is being able to encompass both a Beatle and Dylan, arguably the two greatest rock musicians in history. The others are just icing on the cake.

TedE
05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
they have some good tunes. i dont think they were INCREDIBLE. but just good straight forward tunes.

TheHeartbreaker
06-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I own all of The Traveling Wilburry's albums, and though I enjoy them, I honestly think that the band never lived up to the potential that the names of its members gave it.

Still a good band, of course, but far from the most underrated.

defleppettychik
06-10-2008, 12:30 AM
I love Tom Petty.He is soooo cool! :D

big geordie
06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
The travelling Wilbury's are total sh1te and even the thought of them offends me (sorry I am prepared to be flamed )

Womage
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
They're great band despite the above post, I have the CD somewhere.

LordBaxtus
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I love the Traveling Wilburys. Every time I hear one of their songs I get the feeling that these people were having a ton of fun doing this, and would've played together even if they didn't sell a single record.

TheHeartbreaker
06-13-2008, 12:28 AM
The travelling Wilbury's are total sh1te and even the thought of them offends me (sorry I am prepared to be flamed )

:no:

sevensadforests
06-14-2008, 04:09 PM
My step-dad had Vol. 1 and 3 on casette and introduced them to me when I started getting into the Beatles and Dylan. The fact that they wrote such good music while just having fun is pretty inspiring.

fattypumbaa
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Since Bob Dylan and Tom Petty are the greatest things to ever happen to music I must agree. Although Cream had some god damn **** load of talent too.

westozrocker
09-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I love the Traveling Wilburys. Every time I hear one of their songs I get the feeling that these people were having a ton of fun doing this, and would've played together even if they didn't sell a single record.

Couldn't have said it better.

westozrocker
09-20-2008, 12:32 AM

The most funniest theory I have heard regarding TW's yet!

Good work.

Pinballwizard93
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
How is this? Oh yeah...flame,flame,flame,flame,flame,flame,flame

FifthHorsemen
03-12-2009, 12:50 AM

I think people would naturally assume something really profound/serious. But I agree it's real refreshing that all those guys made a few fun records with you can just sit back and enjoy.

EEE_ELLL_OHH
04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
And just why the hell is Lynne at the bottom of the band members list :mad:

Either way, 1st album is amazing! 2nd not as good but also awesome!! Truly great band.

J-Smack
04-05-2009, 08:16 PM
To me, it strikes me as funny that Tom Petty and Bob Dylan sing for the same band.

Great music though! (I only have volume 3)
:(

A Rolling Stone
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
If I ever need some mindless pop music that I want to get stuck in my head (in a good way), these guys are who I turn to. Vol. 3 just wasn't the same without Roy imo.

J-Smack
04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Okay, which Wilbury is which? In vol. 3, they have a list of names such as "Spike Wilbury." Which one is Harrison, Lynne, Petty, etc.?

FifthHorsemen
04-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Okay, which Wilbury is which? In vol. 3, they have a list of names such as "Spike Wilbury." Which one is Harrison, Lynne, Petty, etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Traveling_Wilburys#Members

(too lazy to type it all out haha).

J-Smack
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
^^Thanks. Wonder if there's a reason behind the names...

Telecaster7
04-10-2009, 11:31 PM
IMO, the travelling wilburys were the greatest thing to come out of the late eighties.

(just keep in mind my low knowledge of the 1980's...)

But they were awesome.

J-Smack
04-10-2009, 11:47 PM
IMO, the travelling wilburys were the greatest thing to come out of the late eighties.

(just keep in mind my low knowledge of the 1980's...)

But they were awesome.

Huh, never thought of that. I never was an 80s fan, but now I know the Wilburys were at least there to brighten the last few years...

I concur!