Fret wear

PDA

View Full Version : Fret wear

striker327
03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
hey guys,
I think my guitar is getting harder to play in some spots of the fret board. mostly around the position G and A. i think my frets are wearing down. is a warmoth neck worth it?

Kingyem0c0re
03-04-2008, 07:33 AM
No chance of a fret level to sort out the problem a little?

I'f your used to YOUR neck, get it re-fretted, shouldn't cost to much.

striker327
03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
apparently it does... i herd its cheaper for a new neck and i don't want to get a fret level because my frets wont last very long.. something like this seems reasonable http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=1&itemNumber=SN3601&subMenuItem=1&subMenuItem2=1&backContour_filter=3

Kingyem0c0re
03-04-2008, 07:48 AM
A fret level will last as long as the frets last there before the need of another fret level or a full refret.

I'd prefer to pay for a fret level then save for a neck than pay all out for a neck right now that you might not even need.

Schneiderman
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
If you liked your neck before the frets wore, get a fret level. If you didn't like it then try a new one. But don't just get a new one cause someone led you to believe that MIM strat frets are that bad. How long did they last you in the first place? That's how long they'll last the second time around.

FMNStratGuy
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
That neck doesn't even look like it has a truss rod. If you like your neck keep it. It's what YOU like. That next neck you could hate to death. Go get a fret job if it really needs it.

SRV59
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
eather a fret level or a re fret job would be a good idea

Paleo Pete
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Pull the strings aside and LOOK at it...do you see small grooves underneath the strings where it's been fretted in those spots for a couple of years? My guitars all develop fret grooves after 2 to 5 years of playing, depending on how much gigging I do. Most guitar players do wear grooves in the frets, which is why re-leveling the frets is a job most luthiers and guitar repair guys learn pretty early.

I've leveled the frets on every guitar I own (9 of 'em) at least once. Some twice. Most frets can handle at least two fret filings before a refret job is necessary, often 3 times and maybe 4. It should be cheaper than a new neck and will make very little difference in the playability of the guitar, except that it will cure any fret buzz or intonation problems caused by the fret grooves. In some cases it will also be necessary to refile the nut slots a bit deeper, but usually that's not a problem until about the 3rd fret filing, when the frets start getting thin.

I would recommend taking it in for a fret leveling, it should be less expensive than a new neck or a refret job and I really don't think a new neck is warranted here, unless you don't like the neck you have now. If you do like it, either have it leveled or refretted until the fret slots get too loose and it can't be refretted again. That's why Clapton had to retire Blackie...couldn't be refretted any more.

striker327
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't really have groves in my frets.. the problem is that my frets are wearing down from bending and vibrotos. I'm losing meat fast

Jisatsulol
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
That neck doesn't even look like it has a truss rod. If you like your neck keep it. It's what YOU like. That next neck you could hate to death. Go get a fret job if it really needs it.

Warmoths have a side truss rod adjustment.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=sideadjust

I personally love my warmoth strat, and love to plug warmoth any chance I get, however I don't believe it's needed for this thread. Take it to a tech and get a fret level if it's really bad. Even in a cheap guitar I've owned for 15 years I've been unable to wear the frets to the point of no return. I'm talking about 13-56 guage strings on a guitar I used almost exclusively for 10 straight years.

However if you are getting a warmoth neck, power to ya, as I absolutely love mine. =)

striker327
03-05-2008, 01:03 AM
from what iv herd a refret could cost up to 400 bucks.. plus the guy wont do stainless steel.So i firgured i might as well buy a warmoth neck with stainless steel frets for less than 400. Ill 10 -15 years longer with stainless steel

cooldany
03-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Generally, most notes played on a lower string sound better to me, and I definitely try to stray from open a/d/g's... I think they sound better fretted. But I also need new strings, so who knows

striker327
03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
is there anything wrong with this neck.. it seems to cheap. I'm presuming its because its unfinished http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=1&itemNumber=SN3601&subMenuItem=1&subMenuItem2=1

Hultan
03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
What does unfinished mean?
That they haven't put those metal things on yet?

Tackleberry
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Most places Ive asked charge around 200 to do fret replacement. But most wont do stainless as it involves more time. Harder to file etc. The newer nickel fret wire just doesnt seem to be as good as the vintage stuff. I know the foreign stuff is not near as good way to soft. And some are just harder on fret wire than others. All of my guitars have stainless now, but I do the work myself. The tools to do it cost about what a fret job does. But there is a big learning curve. Warmoth does make some really nice stuff its not cheap. But quality is never cheap and they have lots of options something most places dont offer.