Medeski, Martin, Wood - The Official Geltab

PDA

View Full Version : Medeski, Martin, Wood - The Official Geltab

Axegrinder#9
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
So I noticed that we've spoken about these guys here and there, but really isn't any official thread so I just created it. We all know who these guys are, mad scientists of sound and all things hip and groovy.

I just saw them at the State Theater in Ithaca last Thursday - honestly I still am kinda flashbacking from the show - so I can't offer an in-depth perspective on it apart from the fact that these guys took stage, and took us to a really hip dance club on the outer limits of space.

for all relevant discussions on MMW and their side projects...

shacklyn groove!

Sly Taco
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Love theses guys, especially with Scofield.

Stratwizard
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I love them - great band. What else is there to say?

Axegrinder#9
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
we could talk about the toys Billy Martin uses, or John Medeski who I saw smoking a big fatty backstage :devil:

Axegrinder#9
03-11-2008, 04:45 AM
so what are some good MMW live shows to get your hands on?

I'd highly recommend the 10000 Lakes Festival gig with Trey Anastasio. Also I really dig the show at Lowell, MA - great set list.

Axegrinder#9
03-16-2008, 06:39 AM
so who's actually heard their last studio release "Let's Go Everywhere"? It is s'posed to be a "children's album" of sorts - but I have no doubt these guys laid some phat grooves down.

srvflood
05-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread. But the Let's Go Everywhere album is great. I found it hard to listen to because of the lyrics being about kids stuff and whatever, but there is some great music on that album.

Axegrinder#9
05-25-2008, 07:43 PM
yeah dude, I actually listened to a few tracks from myspace. MMW ftw.

Axegrinder#9
06-23-2008, 12:34 AM
hahah saw these funky motha****as live at RochesterJazzfest last night. The audience (most of them wired and tweaked to perfection, yours truly included ;) ) engaged in a spontaneous experience with MMW, where upon the music became an organic beast that was far more than the band, the audience - the sound! These guys blazed through a 1 hr 45 min set playing everything from space vicodin laced funk to surreal desert grooves, space jazz freak outs and straight up down and dirty, sweaty funk.

the highlight of the evening was of course when they brought out lap-steel blues player Jeff Campbell for a epic version of Hendrix's "Hey Joe" where Jeff Campbell resurrected Hendrix's spirit and rewrote blues as I knew it to be, while MMW just held down an endless groove.

well no words or recapitulation of memory, can give a sense of what it was to be there seeing these guys at that moment in time and space, with all those beautiful people, whatever it meant. if anyone else say them - you know what was up.

fudger
06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
hahah saw these funky motha****as live at RochesterJazzfest last night. The audience (most of them wired and tweaked to perfection, yours truly included ;) ) engaged in a spontaneous experience with MMW, where upon the music became an organic beast that was far more than the band, the audience - the sound! These guys blazed through a 1 hr 45 min set playing everything from space vicodin laced funk to surreal desert grooves, space jazz freak outs and straight up down and dirty, sweaty funk.

the highlight of the evening was of course when they brought out lap-steel blues player Jeff Campbell for a epic version of Hendrix's "Hey Joe" where Jeff Campbell resurrected Hendrix's spirit and rewrote blues as I knew it to be, while MMW just held down an endless groove.

well no words or recapitulation of memory, can give a sense of what it was to be there seeing these guys at that moment in time and space, with all those beautiful people, whatever it meant. if anyone else say them - you know what was up.

hell yes that was a killer show chris wood is a killer bassist i enjoyed it the slide guitarist just made everything perfect
oh and that crazy guy on acid dancing to our left was classy i giggled at him for a solid 20 mins

Axegrinder#9
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
oh and that crazy guy on acid dancing to our left was classy i giggled at him for a solid 20 mins

hahaha, well most of my crew and myself were toasted ;) so could've been one of us, and if the person in question was wearing stylish shades and doing some intricate moves, it was quite possibly me :p:

fudger
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
hahaha, well most of my crew and myself were toasted ;) so could've been one of us, and if the person in question was wearing stylish shades and doing some intricate moves, it was quite possibly me :p:

well me n the girl were both out there if u kno wat i mean but no this guy was like in his late 30s lol good show tho enjoyed

Axegrinder#9
06-24-2008, 03:13 AM
for all of ya'll freaks, here's a high quality audience recording of the show, that's already been put up on bt.etree.org:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=516075

enjoy! :cool: