thoughts on the Distillers?

PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the Distillers?

AlkalineCherry
03-05-2008, 03:15 AM
what do you think of the Distillers?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/xxpunkchaosxx/BaNdAzZ%20XiNgOnAzZ/Distillers.jpg

I do like them personally, but mainly because they've got a female singer. I've got a few better female punk bands but they're not bad. they're decent to cut your teeth on.

heavenishell
03-05-2008, 03:19 AM
my thoughts? you ask

awesome band, and brody has an awesome voice and is hot!
winning combination

=] love the distillers

sargasm
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Kind of catchy I suppose. Expect a lot of responses along the lines of "ZOMG BRODDEE IS DA HAWTTZOR!!!!111" :rolleyes:

I remember when I was in grade 9 and they came here and a bunch of people who weren't even into punk went. That was strange.

anti
03-05-2008, 05:20 AM
All I have to say is,
Broddee is da hawttzor!!!!1
plus she has mad props for turning Tim Armstrong into a Mr. Pouty Cry Face.

Not such a fan of her muzic.

lavazza
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
When I listened to Sing Sing Death House I though a male was singing, then I heard itīs a woman and I though she must look like Keith Morris, then I found out that: BRODDEE IS DA HAWTTZOR!!!!111".

Their music is ok, but I think they evolved to a typical fatwreck band........flirting with MTV and such stuff

BrianApocalypse
03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
By the transitive property, I've touched her clunge, which is about the only good thing about the distillers.

People only worship brody because she's a lass.

Pott
03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't like Brody's voice that much but Sing Sing Dead House is an alright album. That's the only one I have of them.

original=punk
03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
By the transitive property, I've touched her clunge, which is about the only good thing about the distillers.

People only worship brody because she's a lass.

Haha, I remeber that transitive property thing. But that also means you've touched Armstrong's and Homme's weiners.

kaptink
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
My friend plays them in her car, its good music to not really listen to.

hardrock1315
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
They have one good song, "Seneca Falls". That's about it.

lolmnt
03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Honestly, I've never heard a Distillers song.

BlaiseTheSlayer
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Brody is the hawtzors

but no, i don't like them. Blondie is better.

lolmnt
03-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Are Blondie and the Distillers comparable?

Because I love Blondie

BlaiseTheSlayer
03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Distillers aren't close to Blondie's league.

lolmnt
03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I meant sound wise

BlaiseTheSlayer
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
i'll leave that to the creator of the thread.

lolmnt
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
No, no they aren't :(

Not bad, just not Blondie good

mundieta12
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Are Blondie and the Distillers comparable?

Because I love Blondie

They both have a female singer, that's pretty much the only similarity. And I use "singer" in the loosest possible sense when referring to Brody Dalle or Armstrong or whatever she's decided it is now.

Not a big fan TBH, "City Of Angels" was alright, but if I listen to any more than that I get the urge to saw my ears off.

BrianApocalypse
03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Haha, I remeber that transitive property thing. But that also means you've touched Armstrong's and Homme's weiners.

I prefer the term "thunderstick". :)

XxFIENDxX
03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
meh...good for a 90s punk band...
Bodey(sp?) Dale isn't really that hot...but I am attracted to her for some reason.

hooligan07
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I prefer the term "thunderstick". :)
lol that one was mine

RizzoWashburn
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I disliked Coral Fang a lot but damn, Sing Sing Death House is one of my favorite albums that I own. Theres not a single bad song on there.

Too bad they got too mainstream and turned into dog poo. :(

RockThe40oz
03-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I prefer not to think about the Distillers.

All us punk boys had dirty thoughts about Brody Dalle in our younger days, though, I'm sure...

waterproofpie
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Spinnerette needs to put their album out already. The only time I enjoyed the Distillers was when they weren't technically playing punk music (Coral Fang /= punk)

JesusOfSbrbia
03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I used to like the Distillers a lot, but I got tired of that stuff. The only album I listen to anymore is Coral Fang, it's got a bunch of catchy tunes. A lot of it kinda sounds like Nirvana with a chick singer.

My favorite female-voiced band right now is Tilt. I give Cinder Block props for her look - that unattractive punk rock tomboy thing she has going on. She's pretty, but wearing a mechanic outfit and having short hair draws attention away from her looks, and more towards her outstanding singing and lyrics. I respect that a lot.

(everyone who hasn't listened to Tilt needs to do so right now. www.myspace.com/tiltfanclub)

sargasm
03-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Wow, Tilt is awesome. Thank you for the recommendation.

JesusOfSbrbia
03-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Wow, Tilt is awesome. Thank you for the recommendation.
:cheers:

axeslash
03-06-2008, 01:43 AM
I still think I Object is a great female-fronted band, but it's hardcore and so far the only person I know who likes them is Molly.

recklessnick
03-06-2008, 02:35 AM
i love distillers. kinda old school punk type of feel with female vocals.

and brody is really hot

and i object is awesome, i have teaching revenge

AlkalineCherry
03-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Spinnerette needs to put their album out already.

second that.
stop having kids and appease your fans, dammit.

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
lol that one was mine

It certainly was, that was a good one, which I hadn't heard before.

original=punk
03-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Who's heard of The Devotchkas? I head aboot them cuz that means "young girl" in
russian/nadsat. It's an all-female street punk band.

Definitely not anywhere close to being awsome. :haha

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Boy, I really hate the riot grrrrl genre.

Stupid dykes. :mad1:

AlkalineCherry
03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Who's heard of The Devotchkas? I head aboot them cuz that means "young girl" in
russian/nadsat. It's an all-female street punk band.

Definitely not anywhere close to being awsome. :haha

i've got 2 of their albums, they're pretty good but they broke up or summat.

mike2
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
eh...distillers are not so good...

my fav. female fronted band is x-ray sepx.

hooligan07
03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
i think brody dalle is a talentless ***** who probably owes her carreer to mr armstrong.
i am not a rancid fanboy but she's a fluke and looks like a crack*****

SuperBlob
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
my fav. female fronted band is x-ray sepx.
Them, The Rezillos and Blondie = best female fronted bands. Ever.

mike2
03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Them, The Rezillos and Blondie = best female fronted bands. Ever.

idk about blondie but also: the accident, Mary Monday and the bitches, and i guess X doesn't count cause it is dual, but still i like how they balance it out.

SuperBlob
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
idk about blondie but also: the accident, Mary Monday and the bitches, and i guess X doesn't count cause it is dual, but still i like how they balance it out.
Ah, forgot about X. They should count if I'm having The Rezillos, as the bloke sings some songs. Haven't heard any of the others though

mike2
03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
the accident are good, they got a song called Kill the Bee Gees...mary monday and the bitches...is....good.

I never liked the female singer of Crass though...

Dirt also has dual vocals, I can dig sometimes, but others it's like...eh....eh...

x-ray spex is the best female fronted band imo.

The_Pretender95
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
i love the distillers...especially the song, "Seneca Falls"

original=punk
03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Boy, I really hate the riot grrrrl genre.

Stupid dykes. :mad1:

Feminists piss me off. Chauvinists piss me off.

riot grrrls piss me off. People who spell women "womyn" piss me off.

cherry_bomb
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
they're ok, I guess. But I dont really like female vocals. Even if she sorta sounds like a guy sometimes ;).

SuperBlob
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
People who spell women "womyn" piss me off.
Yeah, if you're gonna spell it wrong, then at least spell it how it sounds. Wimmin. :p:

sargasm
03-06-2008, 07:04 PM

'Feminism' is a misnomer and completely misunderstood. There are a lot of idiots who give it a bad name.

What I don't like is the term "anarcha-feminism." Anarchism is inherently feminist, and the prefix "anarcho" does not imply masculinity.

And I don't mind spelling it "womyn" because it pisses people off.

original=punk
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
'Feminism' is a misnomer and completely misunderstood. There are a lot of idiots who give it a bad name.

What I don't like is the term "anarcha-feminism." Anarchism is inherently feminist, and the prefix "anarcho" does not imply masculinity.

And I don't mind spelling it "womyn" because it pisses people off.

They do give it a bad name, giving me a bad impression as I have never met a feminist who wasn't actually concerned with women being in power over men.

mike2
03-06-2008, 07:25 PM

how about womwhine

amirite?!

sargasm
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
They do give it a bad name, giving me a bad impression as I have never met a feminist who wasn't actually concerned with women being in power over men.

Well, there's me. :)

original=punk
03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, there's me. :)

I meant female feminists :p:

sargasm
03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I know lots.

original=punk
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Well then my town stinks.

axeslash
03-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know what "real" feminism is, since I thought it had to do with gender-equality and women's rights and all that. I don't see how there's more to it than that.

Also I will continue to spell it women and woman since I can't stand it when something is misspelled. So women and woman still contain the masculine suffix. Big ****in' deal.

Fuzzbox91
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
you can never understand what shes saying because she only uses one vowel for every word so its a constant streem of "eeeeeeeeeeaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeaeeeeeeehhhhhhhheeeeee aaaaaaeaeeeeeeeh" anyone else notice this. It kinda pisses me off

good band, good melodies and basslines

crustyreed
03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
you can never understand what shes saying because she only uses one vowel for every word so its a constant streem of "eeeeeeeeeeaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeaeeeeeeehhhhhhhheeeeee aaaaaaeaeeeeeeeh" anyone else notice this. It kinda pisses me off

good band, good melodies and basslines

feels like i just read this somewhere else, deja vu perhaps? :p:

BrianApocalypse
03-07-2008, 06:52 AM
how about womwhine

amirite?!

mike2, you are a hoot. :cheers:

Fuzzbox91
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
feels like i just read this somewhere else, deja vu perhaps? :p:
nah i had a thread but a guy closed it and told me to post in this thread instead so i did.

lavazza
03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
they're ok, I guess. But I dont really like female vocals. Even if she sorta sounds like a guy sometimes ;).

Please listen to
http://www.myspace.com/apocalipstix
http://www.myspace.com/pestfest

and then say again you donīt like female vocals

Punx&Skunx
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
The Distillers were a pretty decent band. I think it was important for their to be some front running female fronted band which was the Distillers. I dont think they are close to being one of the top female fronted punk bands out there, but Brody gave a lot of inspiration to a lot of the female punks that i know.

neidnarb11890
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
the accident are good, they got a song called Kill the Bee Gees...mary monday and the bitches...is....good.

I never liked the female singer of Crass though...

Dirt also has dual vocals, I can dig sometimes, but others it's like...eh....eh...

x-ray spex is the best female fronted band imo.
I love Eve Libertine's vocals.
But Poly Styrene is my favorite singer.
Discount is also a great female fronted band.

cherry_bomb
03-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Please listen to
http://www.myspace.com/apocalipstix
http://www.myspace.com/pestfest

and then say again you donīt like female vocals

aw yeah, I know pestfest..I do like them, but I'd still pick male vocals over female vocals anytime. (-feminists-may-throw-rocks-at-the-traitor-now-)
btw, what is with the 'pest' in german bandnames :p

molly bee
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
meeeh. Not such a fan. If you're looking for 'female' punk bands, there are better bands to listen to, so...don't waste your time listening to the Distillers just because the front happens to be a girl.

edit: whoah, I totally missed the feminism "discussion"
...do I even want to start in with that? aaaah

Feminism isn't about power over men, anyone who thinks that hasn't met a feminist. Honestly, everyone I've ever spoken to who says feminism is about 'man hating dykes' hasn't ever talked to a feminist, only thinks that because that's all they've heard about it. Stupid ****.

Feminism is about equality, the breaking down of oppressive gender roles and empowerment as who you are. So stop spitting out the same stupid **** about it that's not even close to the truth.

womyn womyn womyn

Don't ever underestimate the power of feminism...give it a ****ing chance. Let yourself think about it.

molly bee
03-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I still think I Object is a great female-fronted band, but it's hardcore and so far the only person I know who likes them is Molly.

sorry for the double post. But I've been listening to I Object literally NON STOP now. They're so amazing! And yay tom for the Discount plug haha.

lolmnt
03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I was going to say Discount :(

JesusOfSbrbia
03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
F-Minus, anyone? Brad Logan's gruff hardcore-style vocals contrast pretty well with female members Jen and Erica... I don't really like Jen's voice, but Erica's vocals, especially on the Wake Up Screaming album, are superb.

lavazza
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
aw yeah, I know pestfest..I do like them, but I'd still pick male vocals over female vocals anytime. (-feminists-may-throw-rocks-at-the-traitor-now-)
btw, what is with the 'pest' in german bandnames :p

pest= plague / pestilence

Pestfest ~ Plaguefestival
Pestpocken ~ Plaguepox

ImAFukingZombee
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
no one heard of british band called "the Mingers"

she has a sexy voice.... as does kelly from No Comply.... i think they split up though

sargasm
03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I've been digging I Object!

axeslash
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I've seen I Object! in concert and have an I Object! t-shirt.

Commence with the jealousy.

sargasm
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I should try to get I Object! to play here after I have a bit more experience putting on shows.

hooligan07
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
im listening to ''sick of it all'' off the hellcat comp. its good ****

RizzoWashburn
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
im listening to ''sick of it all'' off the hellcat comp. its good ****
Yeah it is. That's my favorite song by them.

mike2
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm listening to stiff little fingers, now that is good ****e.

hooligan07
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah it is. That's my favorite song by them.
deff.
great bassline,and the guitar compliments her voice very well
probably the second best song on the comp after vampire girl by the devil's brigade

slayer_rule_\m/
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I actually like Brody's voice, girls who have a very generic 'girlie' singing voice just don't cut it for me.

StreetLight3989
11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread is old, anyway The Distillers are meh, my favorite female fronted punk is probably Discount, Lemuria(not really punk), and Cheeky. There are a ton of bands better than The Distillers who are fronted by females in my opinion.

slayer_rule_\m/
11-18-2008, 06:38 PM
This thread is old, anyway The Distillers are meh, my favorite female fronted punk is probably Discount, Lemuria(not really punk), and Cheeky. There are a ton of bands better than The Distillers who are fronted by females in my opinion.
Yeah but i'm only just getting back into punk again so my knowlage of female punk singers is pathetic.

StreetLight3989
11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah but i'm only just getting back into punk again so my knowlage of female punk singers is pathetic.
Yeah, that's cool, they're not horrible in my opinion, just kind of meh, I probably would've liked them if I knew them when I was first getting into punk. Check out some of those bands if you want, they're all on the poppier side except maybe Cheeky.

sargasm
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Check out I Object! if you like stuff that isn't on the poppier side.

Or Nausea or Witch Hunt or F-Minus.

RizzoWashburn
11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
I actually just listened to Sing Sing Death House for the first time in forever today. I don't care what anybody says, that's a great album.

gopherthegreat
11-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Some of their stuff is good, and some sucks.

And I don't find Brody attractive.

Feminism isn't about power over men, anyone who thinks that hasn't met a feminist. Honestly, everyone I've ever spoken to who says feminism is about 'man hating dykes' hasn't ever talked to a feminist, only thinks that because that's all they've heard about it. Stupid ****.

Feminism is about equality, the breaking down of oppressive gender roles and empowerment as who you are. So stop spitting out the same stupid **** about it that's not even close to the truth.

womyn womyn womyn

Don't ever underestimate the power of feminism...give it a ****ing chance. Let yourself think about it.
I'm a feminist, but you have to admit, some are quite crazy. Case in point being Valerie Solanas.

hooligan07
11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
L.A women is another awesome song

slayer_rule_\m/
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that's cool, they're not horrible in my opinion, just kind of meh, I probably would've liked them if I knew them when I was first getting into punk. Check out some of those bands if you want, they're all on the poppier side except maybe Cheeky.
Im not first getting into punk, i was a punk fan since i was 13, i took it all too seriously and i was a twat, i moved on to other music...for girls and friends :( But now im into a variety of music.
I actually just listened to Sing Sing Death House for the first time in forever today. I don't care what anybody says, that's a great album.
People say otherwise?
Most of the songs i've heard and liked are from that album.

StreetLight3989
11-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Im not first getting into punk, i was a punk fan since i was 13, i took it all too seriously and i was a twat, i moved on to other music...for girls and friends :( But now im into a variety of music.

People say otherwise?
Most of the songs i've heard and liked are from that album.
Never the less, you should check those bands out, good stuff.

MannersBad
11-19-2008, 05:54 PM
In a 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon way I've fucked her. I guess Tim Armstrong too.

sargasm
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm a feminist, but you have to admit, some are quite crazy. Case in point being Valerie Solanas.

I love Valerie Solanas because I hate Andy Warhol.

Roads5
11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
me likey the distillers

waterproofpie
11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
p.s. You all should check out Spinnerette. Actually, if you hated Coral Fang, then don't. But I loved it. Therefore, I love Spinnerette :) .

JesusOfSbrbia
11-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Coral Fang is a fantastic album.

rasveer
11-20-2008, 01:15 AM
i enjoy listening to their music, but something makes me want to punch Brody Dalle in the face

hooligan07
11-21-2008, 12:34 AM
i enjoy listening to their music, but something makes me want to punch Brody Dalle in the face
the fact that she is a slut?

Spaceman_Spiff
11-21-2008, 01:36 AM
I actually like Brody's voice, girls who have a very generic 'girlie' singing voice just don't cut it for me.
Then again, girls who have a generic guy's voice are hardly more appealing.

rasveer
11-21-2008, 01:47 AM
i really don't know
i like the band i think they're great
but theres just something that i cant quite put my finger on that makes me want to act out
hmm
if anything else i feel the same way about Hugh Jackman

slayer_rule_\m/
11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Then again, girls who have a generic guy's voice are hardly more appealing.
Yep, infact generic voices are boring end of. I want excitment in my music.

waterproofpie
11-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Coral Fang is a fantastic album.

high five!

JesusOfSbrbia
11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
high five!
/me high fives :p:

I don't really like "The Hunger" though. Favorite songs would be "Hall Of Mirrors" and "For Tonight...."

"Beat Your Heart Out" is a terrible song.

sargasm
11-22-2008, 03:33 PM
"Beat Your Heart Out" is a terrible song.

I like it because it reminds me of playing THUG2, even though that game completely ruined the difficulty/skill involved with doing good lines by adding the wallplant, which totally ruined Warehouse which was such a good level to play in THPS3 because it had a really good line that was fairly tricky to execute. When you play THUG2 online, everyone just wallplants and grinds between those two walls on either side of one of the halfpipes. It's retarded.

THUG2 had it's moments though.

On a different note, I just watched a couple newer Distillers videos and I think she's trying WAY to hard to be Joan Jett, even if she kinda almost pulls it off.

hooligan07
11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
i'd hit it

JesusOfSbrbia
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
There are a lot of people who like bands with female singers because they find the girl attractive.

It really pisses me off.

werty22
11-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I like it because it reminds me of playing THUG2, even though that game completely ruined the difficulty/skill involved with doing good lines by adding the wallplant, which totally ruined Warehouse which was such a good level to play in THPS3 because it had a really good line that was fairly tricky to execute. When you play THUG2 online, everyone just wallplants and grinds between those two walls on either side of one of the halfpipes. It's retarded.

THUG2 had it's moments though.

On a different note, I just watched a couple newer Distillers videos and I think she's trying WAY to hard to be Joan Jett, even if she kinda almost pulls it off.
That's what I've thought for a long time.

whyvern
11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I've seen I Object! in concert and have an I Object! t-shirt.

Commence with the jealousy.

One of NESTOR MAKHNO's first shows was with I OBJECT and BLACK SS in a driveway.

Later on when I lived in Worcester, I realized that I made burrito's for some dude I was dumpster diving with because he was on tour with I OBJECT. He even remembered seeing NESTOR MAKHNO.

THE DISTILLERS suck though, but I OBJECT makes this thread good. The pop-punk band that they did for a little while was amazing.

slayer_rule_\m/
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
One of NESTOR MAKHNO's first shows was with I OBJECT and BLACK SS in a driveway.

Later on when I lived in Worcester, I realized that I made burrito's for some dude I was dumpster diving with because he was on tour with I OBJECT. He even remembered seeing NESTOR MAKHNO.

THE DISTILLERS suck though, but I OBJECT makes this thread good. The pop-punk band that they did for a little while was amazing.
Do you have to put all band name in caps.

axeslash
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM

THE DISTILLERS suck though, but I OBJECT makes this thread good. The pop-punk band that they did for a little while was amazing.I Object! did a pop-punk thing? I would love to see/hear that, considering the music they play now.

whyvern
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Do you have to put all band name in caps.

do you jhave to read what I write, or use this "\m/" symbol?

lolmnt
11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I Object! did a pop-punk thing? I would love to see/hear that, considering the music they play now.Same.

I like I Object, but I prefer pop punk.

whyvern
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.myspace.com/kisforthekids

sargasm
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Not as good as I Object! but still pretty awesome.

lolmnt
11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
That's good stuff. Do you have any to up?

slayer_rule_\m/
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
do you jhave to read what I write, or use this "\m/" symbol?
Yes, yes i do.

ParentalControl
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
It's like Kurt Cobain had a quikie with Joan Jett and they created Brody Dalle

lookpizza
04-21-2009, 04:21 AM
paramore is my favorite female fronted PUNK band

molly bee
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I Object's pop punk was really good. I definitely wouldn't want any if anyone decided to upload it.
But yeah, I think I Object is probably a little better.

drugfreeboy
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
distillers suck. i object is cool. black ss rules