lack of commitment, and is a band worth it?

PDA

View Full Version : lack of commitment, and is a band worth it?

andersoncouncil
03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok, after finally finding a bassist, we find out he seems to have commitment issues. Basically he's all talk and no action. He has missed the past three practices. Every day we're supposed to jam, he acts really excited about it, but he doesn't show up or calls one of us with some excuse. The drummer and I are getting sick of it. We've only had one practice with all three of us, but it was very successful.

The bassist also said he'll learn some theory so he can keep up better, but so far all he's learned is half steps and whole steps and how to tune a guitar. And that was in a month.

He also originally told us that he could jam any time and any day of the week, but he's not living up to it.

On top of that, we have some musical differences. Bassist says"whatever you guys want to do." (but I think he wants to do metal, he talks about it a lot.), while I'm more into alternative and experimental music, and the drummer wants hard rock (ACDC/Led Zeppelin). We all are very open minded about what music we listen to, but I think we all want something different for the band's sound.

How do I make this bassist back up what he says he'll do? And how do I resolve these differences?

I'm even considering leaving these two guys and going solo. I can't play drums and I don't have a bass, but I can program decently. We'll have to break up the band in six months anyway when I go to college. And, once there, I'm likely to do solo stuff anyway.

What are the pros and cons of going solo versus being in a band?

P.S. Finding new members is not possible. No one who plays here comes even close to being what I'm looking for.

rage6945
03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
wow another one of these.
dont take some guy just because he plays the instrument your looking for! everyone in your band should be the closest of friends and all be on the same page musically.
finding new members IS possible...... if you dont want to put the effort into it, then you might as well give up all together

AA00P
03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Bass players are rare animals and are very valuable. But they gotta live up to the standards required of a band. They gotta be there and keep time. Other than that, they're fine.

If you can find a better, more reliable player, get them. Then boot your current one.
Good luck.

FrosteeFresh
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM
well one of the pros of being solo is that you don't have anyone to rely on but yourself. and even though you know that there aren't any bassists in the area, maybe your current bassist doesn't know that. so you can threaten him saying you will find another one if he doesn't start showing up. then he might get his act together.

andersoncouncil
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM
wow another one of these.
dont take some guy just because he plays the instrument your looking for! everyone in your band should be the closest of friends and all be on the same page musically.
finding new members IS possible...... if you dont want to put the effort into it, then you might as well give up all together
Looking around for two years is hardly not trying. :peace:
You try going to a high school with about 280 students.
Edit: And both members are friends of mine.

Also, to clarify, I expected this bassist to be a good pick, or he wouldn't be in the band.

TechnicolorType
03-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Ditch them..
but jam every single day?
that's pushing it..

but yeah go solo.

with solo you get to do everything the way you want to, always.
there's your reason.

axemanchris
03-05-2008, 11:28 PM
You try going to a high school with about 280 students.

You just need to fish in a bigger pond.

CT

andersoncouncil
03-05-2008, 11:29 PM
You just need to fish in a bigger pond.

CT
I am moving in six months.

rage6945
03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
i dont know why every one has trouble finding bassists..... at my school every kid and they're grandma plays bass

TechnicolorType
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
My grandma is pretty good at bass.

SlackerBabbath
03-06-2008, 04:28 AM
We'll have to break up the band in six months anyway when I go to college.
So what's your problem? In just six months it ain't your problem anyhow so you may as well stick with it for now and just use it to keep your hand in.

Do the rest of the band know you're going in six months? Maybe that's why the bassist isn't too motivated, because he's just joined a band and then he's found out that it's either gonna split or have to find a new guitarist pretty soon. I know I wouldn't be too motivated myself in his position.
Nothing personal, but how can you talk about someone else's commitment to a band that you yourself are leaving?

FuzzyBear
03-06-2008, 05:39 AM
The bassist also said he'll learn some theory so he can keep up better, but so far all he's learned is half steps and whole steps and how to tune a guitar. And that was in a month.

let me get this straight? you started a band with a guy who couldnt even tune their own instrument? that was a dumb move right there

andersoncouncil
03-06-2008, 11:31 PM
So what's your problem? In just six months it ain't your problem anyhow so you may as well stick with it for now and just use it to keep your hand in.
I agree here, good idea.

Do the rest of the band know you're going in six months? Maybe that's why the bassist isn't too motivated, because he's just joined a band and then he's found out that it's either gonna split or have to find a new guitarist pretty soon. I know I wouldn't be too motivated myself in his position.
They know. And I hadn't thought about that. We had talked about getting a demo finished by the time I leave, and then possible reforming a few years later (which I guess isn't too likely.)

Nothing personal, but how can you talk about someone else's commitment to a band that you yourself are leaving?
Well, I am committed to it for six months, then bang goes the band (I guess). Meanwhile I'm showing up to practices and doing all of the songwriting. :peace:

Besides, I really have to move away. I have little choice there.

Potato_Souffle
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, as for the musical differences...don't worry about it. Just kinda let everyone do what they want to do. If your band was going to try and make it, yes, you may have wanted to consider planning out your sound, however, if the band is going to last six months max, don't worry about it. There's enough commonalities between metal, alternative, and hard rock that it will be fine.

Out of curiosity, do you call the bassist before practice/as practice is starting to make sure they are comming (and offer them a ride or whatever if they need it)? I know it might sound a bit like babying them, however, I assume you would rather have a bassist than not. And, agian, if the band is going to be over in six months anyway, you don't need a bassist that is hella dedicated as you would if you were going for the long term.

As far as going solo goes, I think that you'll have plenty of time to do that if you are going off to college. If you plan to take an even semi-challenging workload, you most likely will not have the time to start a band. A jam band or a cover band, maybe, but don't expect to be able to put in the time you would reeeeally need to. However, finding time here and there to write out parts and recording them to a computer...sure, no problem. What I'm saying is...while solo recording definitly has it's advantages, such as not having to rely on other people to do their part, it's not worth foregoing the band experience, especially over one bum member. Couldn't you just play with the drummer? Or pick up a rhythm guitarist? A two guitar, no bass band isn't the beeeest way to go, but it's better than nothing, or just going it solo.

zamok
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
he is probably just intimidated because he obviously cant play as good as he might have said. bombard him one day, see if hes good, then decide if you want to go through with it. i no i had the same problems when i first joined a band (i also am a bassist) but i finally overcame my fears of not being good enough and just went. and it was fun.