Upcoming Gig Advice Required.

PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Gig Advice Required.

Guitardude19
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I need some advice on the following situation.

I have a gig that might happen. I am a solo musician because Im finding it very hard to find people to play with. Anway thats not the issue. The issue is backing tracks...

Ive recorded 4 original pieces of music, but only the chord progression and bass lines on my home PC but the quality is shoddy so I wont be using that.

I phoned a few recording studios and none of them can gauruntee a good quality recording and they are charging 60 for something like 3 hours studio time. I could go down this route as it is better than my home recording equipmet.

However, I already have the backing tracks in Midi format... Should I settle with Midi and leave it at that knowing that it will just sound like Midi or do I go and spend 60 recording all the parts again... I want a good sound but I really dont want to use the Midi as it doesnt sound authentic.

Its impossible for me to find anyone to play with at the moment... Any advice?

Thanks.

HenryJoe
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
i bet some idiot is gonna think ur playing all that alone and call u a god

shortyafter
03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
How shoddy are your recordings? Unless you've got semi-decent equipment/experience, then pretty much any studio recording will be better than your own. They probably can't guarantee radio-quality recordings, but that doesn't mean their recordings won't sound fairly reasonable.

The ideal option would be to go to the studio. I wouldn't do the midi thing, it will probably sound too fake. Whatever you do, just remember that they're only backing tracks. People aren't going to care if they sound 100% professional or not. If you can afford the time, money, and effort it takes to go to the studio, do that. But you can always just use your own recordings or the midis.

axemanchris
03-07-2008, 12:21 AM
For less than 60 pounds.... can you hire a couple of friends to come in and play brushes on a snare or whatever and back you on a bass, or acoustic guitar or something? Lots of friends will do this kind of thing for the chance to help a brother out and to get a couple of free beers and a plate of wings or something.

CT

KRSplat
03-07-2008, 01:23 AM
MIDI? Honestly, I think that would sound pathetic. Pay for studio time; it'll be worth it.

axemanchris
03-07-2008, 10:14 PM
People really get down unnecessarily on midi. Midi is brilliant, but is misunderstood. Midi is nothing more than a universal set of instructions that one device uses to understand the music of another device, and generally follows a standard hardware protocol to connect them. Midi doesn't sound like *anything.*

Turn on the radio or MTV or MuchMusic or whatever. Midi is everywhere. Why does Eminem's tracks or Moby's tracks sound brilliant (or Def Leppard's drums, or a lot of tracks in major Hollywood motion pictures for that matter), whereas your e-greeting sounds corny as hell? It comes down to the quality of the instrument. Send one set of instructions to a cheap instrument - say the little wave-table synth embedded in your cheap soundcard. It's a cheap instrument.... of course it sounds cheap! Now, take that same set of instructions and send it through a high-quality sample library, and you'll swear it's the real thing. A high-quality instrument sounds better - simple!

Now, I'll qualify that with the fact that it depends on who is doing the programming. Good instructions = good results. Crappy instructions = crappy results. And *that* is a whole other kettle of fish.

CT

ledhed68
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Have you thought about looping at all? cause I think that would be the best idea, then you are playing all live and you still have backing tracks.

axemanchris
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Looping is getting really annoying. Too many people do it, and not very well, and it has already become gimmicky and cliche.

CT