What do the punks think of...

PDA

View Full Version : What do the punks think of...

werty22
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
CAPTAIN BEEFHEART?

I was just introduced to his music today. Me and a couple of people in my music theory class listened to Trout Mask Replica. I can say without doubt that it's the weirdest music I have ever heard. But I kind of like that about it. After consulting Wiki, I found that he has influenced The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Tom Waits, The Minutemen, and Gogol Bordello, among many others. He was good friends with Frank Zappa and worked closely with him. Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons) claims that TMR is his favorite album of all time. So, what does the punk forum think of him?

Iluvpowerchords
03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
As much as I lurve Thomas Alan Waits, and Frank Zappa, I can honestly say I've never given Trout Mask a listen.

I'm not a huge fan of weird for weird's sake so I'm hesitant about it.

I like my experimentation with a side of pop sensibility.

original=punk
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Love Mr Beefheart, well, what i've heart.

Wait...you listen to good music in music class?!?!

werty22
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
As much as I lurve Thomas Alan Waits, and Frank Zappa, I can honestly say I've never given Trout Mask a listen.

I'm not a huge fan of weird for weird's sake so I'm hesitant about it.

I like my experimentation with a side of pop sensibility.
Me too, normally. It's not something I would want to listen to that much, but it's interesting.

opivy21
03-06-2008, 11:29 PM
I only got into his stuff a few months ago, but I really enjoy it. I have Safe as Milk and Trout Mask Replica. Compared to TMR, Safe as Milk is tame, but without that context it's still quite strange and really good. It's similar to a lot of the other 60s pop and psychedelic music. TMR is certainly some of the stranger music I've ever heard, and some of the songs are almost unlistenable, but it has so many moments of brilliance. Also, the repeated use of the word "bulbous" - which might be the coolest word in the English language - doesn't hurt.

dannay
03-07-2008, 07:03 PM
it is weird, weird ****.
"fast and boulbous! yes, the umbrella snake. also, a tin teardrop."

punkbri
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
It is definetly interesting.I find myself wanting to hear it again every couple of months,so I guess that makes me like it.

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
*Unexplained bump*
My title should give my opinions on Captain Beefheart.

charliezard!
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I've been into him since 6th grade. It's good music. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to though.

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been into him since 6th grade. It's good music. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to though.
His music can be a tough listen after a few songs.

opivy21
11-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I retract what I said in my previous post about Safe as Milk being similar to other late sixties music. I think it just seems that way because of just how weird TMR is, but Safe as Milk is awesome. Everybody should check it out.

Neat video/song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBMTui7qg8)

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I retract what I said in my previous post about Safe as Milk being similar to other late sixties music. I think it just seems that way because of just how weird TMR is, but Safe as Milk is awesome. Everybody should check it out.

Neat video/song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBMTui7qg8)
On some days I prefer Safe as Milk, that's what I recommend for anyone getting into Captain Beefheart. Only 0.00003434% of people can enjoy TMR all the way through, it's only labeled as his best work because it's the longest and most extreme sounding.

anarkee
11-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Oh my lordy, Captain Beefheart is quite awesome. Trout Mask Replica is one of my favourite all time albums. But then again I love the Residents, so go figure.

BrianApocalypse
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
You know what?

I've never listened.

RizzoWashburn
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
You know what?

I've never listened.
Good story.

You should tell that at parties. People would be like "You met that lad Brian yet? He tells a great story about never listening to stuff." And the other member of the conversation will say "No I haven't, I'll go find him and engage in dialogue with him."

You'll make tons of new friends. ;)

InstantAXonHero
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Way too bizzare for my liking, I'm quite content with 'Neutral Milk Hotel'.

mbbmalcolm
11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I love Trout Mask Replica. And Captain Beefheart. But I love Frank Zappa more.

PenFighter19
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Isnt that the guy/band (I dont know) that Robert Plant asked to be played when he was drunk at a bar and said RHCP 'sounds like a nursery rhyme?'

BrianApocalypse
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Good story.

You should tell that at parties. People would be like "You met that lad Brian yet? He tells a great story about never listening to stuff." And the other member of the conversation will say "No I haven't, I'll go find him and engage in dialogue with him."

You'll make tons of new friends. ;)

:haha :haha :haha

That was pretty good. So, what would you guys recommend checking out?

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
:haha :haha :haha

That was pretty good. So, what would you guys recommend checking out?
Well, his entire discography is overshadowed by one album: Trout Mask Replica. Don't check that one out first, it's much too difficult to get into. I'd say start with Safe as Milk or Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). Both are odd but still highly accessable...for Captain Beefheart, that is.

BrianApocalypse
11-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Many thanks :)

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Many thanks :)
If you like those two then get TMR. It's a great album, but it takes five or seventeen listens before it sinks in. It also helps to cool down before you swim in the ice water, so to speak.

BrianApocalypse
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Just listening to a few youtube videos:
- Ice Cream for Crow
- Electricity
- Sure 'nuff 'n yes i do
- Upon the my oh my
- Abba Zabba

BlaiseTheSlayer
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
It's cool how they recorded each instrument on Trout Mask Replica in a different room of the house they were living in.

BrianApocalypse
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I almost bought Trout Mask Replica today, but decided against it as it was 10 and I have a limited disposable income (LDA) like everyone else! :(

Beakwithteeth
11-04-2008, 11:56 PM
If you like those two then get TMR. It's a great album, but it takes five or seventeen listens before it sinks in. It also helps to cool down before you swim in the ice water, so to speak.

I got into it on like 3rd listen. First listen I was intrigued but didn't "like" it but I found myself wanting to listen to it again and again. I learned to love it. I find I can get into really weird stuff easily though.

By the way can somebody send me Bill's Corpse off TMR? I got the album but it is missing that track.

prplhazed
11-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I've started trout mask like 3 times but havent made it all the way through
Maybe someday I'll make it

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Does anybody know why Lick My Decals Off, Baby hasn't been rereleased? I hear it's great.