Rory Gallagher

PDA

View Full Version : Rory Gallagher

Firebread
03-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Is anyone else a big fan of this guy? I personally think he is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. I just stumbled on him maybe two weeks ago and have been enjoying his music thoroughly since.

Who66
03-06-2008, 11:05 PM
he's underrated as hell. excellent player. tasty* slide work.

Carswell98
03-07-2008, 12:54 AM
He is one of my favorite musicians ever, the man was a great performer and a better guitarist.

I have 4 of his albums but Irish Tour is his masterpiece.

spanishbattery
03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Try the Montreaux Jazz festival DVD, awesome. It covers the three eras that he played there, from raw bluesman to seasoned pro (put on a bit of weight then mind)

Carswell98
03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Try the Montreaux Jazz festival DVD, awesome. It covers the three eras that he played there, from raw bluesman to seasoned pro (put on a bit of weight then mind)

oh yeah, I'll look into it

i have a sort of career spanning sample, and I like both, his last album Wheels on Wheels, is a folk blues masterpiece, I'm in love with it

ze monsta
03-07-2008, 04:01 PM
My dad saw him several times. But then again my dad has also seen Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Broonzy and loadsa other awesome blues players. I'm so jealous of him....

imgooley
03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
My dad saw him several times. But then again my dad has also seen Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Broonzy and loadsa other awesome blues players. I'm so jealous of him....
What I wouldn't give to be your daddy........

TheDev01dOne
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah Rory Gallagher was quite awesome, true his Live at Montreux DVD is ****ing amazing, that was the first thing I ever got of his and it rules. I have loads of bootleg shows of his from a guy on Soulseek who has probably hundreds of them.. When he was on it, he was amazing.. but when he was sucking he really did suck.

Most older people I know from that generation don't really like him. My GF's dad is a good guitar player and seen all these guys live said he was just crazy self-destructive and apparently really short tempered..

No denying he could play that guitar when he wanted to though, Cradle Rock or OOTWP are probably my favourite songs of his.

meh!
03-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Rory gallagher was excellent, really liked him.

However, his band was just...boring and that's a shame, cause that really turns me off listening to him sometimes (though I do anyway).

TheDev01dOne
03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I gotta disagree there, his bass player is one of my favourite bass players ever. Fancy and interesting but still rock solid when he had to be. He didn't run around crazy or anything but he did his part ectremely well.

His drummer was probably average though and his organ player was boring I'll admit. But still overall I think they were pretty good.

Firebread
03-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I gotta disagree there, his bass player is one of my favourite bass players ever. Fancy and interesting but still rock solid when he had to be. He didn't run around crazy or anything but he did his part ectremely well.

His drummer was probably average though and his organ player was boring I'll admit. But still overall I think they were pretty good.

If you didn't say that about the bass player I was gonna. I think that his bass player is amazing. His drummer isn't stand out, but he does his job.

Metallica-EX50
03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
he's underrated as hell. excellent player. tasty* slide work.

ditto

id say he could match jimi hendrix

meh!
03-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't hear it in the bass player, he doesn't do anything for me.

Firebread
03-08-2008, 02:31 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LSzsDWTc4mY

Check that out, there's a bass solo. I think he's pretty good, he certainly has a good time up there.

gopherthegreat
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
hes a great guitarist, but his music never hooked me

Firebread
03-08-2008, 04:36 PM
hes a great guitarist, but his music never hooked me

I think he has a lot of great hooks in his music. And damn I reply fast.

gopherthegreat
03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I think he has a lot of great hooks in his music. And damn I reply fast.
i noticed that :haha

Firebread
03-08-2008, 04:38 PM
i noticed that :haha

Merely quoted for more irony.

Carswell98
03-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Check that out, there's a bass solo. I think he's pretty good, he certainly has a good time up there.

oh my ****ing god, I reallllly need that DVD :eek:

edit

AAHHHHHHH

I can't stop watching it

must..... buy.... Octave..... pedal now

Firebread
03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
oh my ****ing god, I reallllly need that DVD :eek:

edit

AAHHHHHHH

I can't stop watching it

must..... buy.... Octave..... pedal now

Ya that's one of my favorite performances by him. Check these out to

Cradle Rock- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk
To Much Alcohol (Slide acoustic blues)- http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE
Bullfrog Blues- http://youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

meh!
03-08-2008, 07:10 PM

meh, really, nothing special to me. Sorry :p:

Firebread
03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
meh, really, nothing special to me. Sorry :p:

Oh well, guess your not gonna be persuaded. No accounting for taste I suppose. =P

Carswell98
03-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Ya that's one of my favorite performances by him. Check these out to

Cradle Rock- http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk
To Much Alcohol (Slide acoustic blues)- http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE
Bullfrog Blues- http://youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

Rory was all about live, for me his studio stuff was always just kinda meh

but his live stuff is brilliant, that is why Irish Tour is one of my favorite albums ever

Firebread
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Rory was all about live, for me his studio stuff was always just kinda meh

but his live stuff is brilliant, that is why Irish Tour is one of my favorite albums ever

Ya his live stuff is when it really comes out.

meh!
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
There's an excellent little set of I think it's four live albums that you can get. He really just goes all out when he plays.

johnny_tapia
03-09-2008, 01:11 PM
There's an excellent little set of I think it's four live albums that you can get. He really just goes all out when he plays.
Linky?

Also his song "Hands Off" is brilliant :D

SomeEvilDude
03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Is that the 'Meeting With The G-Men' set? They're all bootlegs that were officially released.

I've only got one of them, called 'Meeting With The G-Man', it's class; really good cover of Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' on it, and, more importantly, my favourite Gallagher song, 'Mean Disposition'; not heard another version of it and I'm not sure if he wrote, but he rips it upj so well on the 'Meeting With The G-Man' album I've got.

Seriously underrated guitar player, absolutely brilliant talent.

EDIT: Links: Let's Go To Work: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Go-Work-Rory-Gallagher/dp/B00005Q6F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205093886&sr=1-1) Live In Europe, Irish Tour, another one I'm not sure about, and the bootleg album I've got on it's own.

The G-Men set: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Men-Rory-Gallagher/dp/tracks/B0000248F0/ref=dp_tracks_all_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205093886&sr=1-2#disc_1) Jesus Christ, look at the price of that one: £169. :(

johnny_tapia
03-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I've only got one of them, called 'Meeting With The G-Man', it's class; really good cover of Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' on it, and, more importantly, my favourite Gallagher song, 'Mean Disposition'; not heard another version of it and I'm not sure if he wrote, but he rips it upj so well on the 'Meeting With The G-Man' album I've got.
That's the cd that I have. It's really good :)

meh!
03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Is that the 'Meeting With The G-Men' set? They're all bootlegs that were officially released.

Seriously underrated guitar player, absolutely brilliant talent.

EDIT: Links: Let's Go To Work: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Go-Work-Rory-Gallagher/dp/B00005Q6F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205093886&sr=1-1) Live In Europe, Irish Tour, another one I'm not sure about, and the bootleg album I've got on it's own.

The G-Men set: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Men-Rory-Gallagher/dp/tracks/B0000248F0/ref=dp_tracks_all_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205093886&sr=1-2#disc_1) Jesus Christ, look at the price of that one: £169. :(

Aye, that's the one. It's a quality set.

Phill-Rock
03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I love his more rock orientated songs e.g. Bad Penny, Shadow Play etc.

He was a brilliant guitarist, but I'm not overly fond of a lot of the songs he released. Though he is one of my favourite guitarists based on the smaller volume of masterworks.

dgme92
03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Rory Gallagher is ridiculously good. A great guitar player, and a simply AMAZING songwriter, both musically and lyrically. The saddest loss music has ever suffered, full stop.

Dalron
07-11-2008, 01:47 AM

I'm jealous of him too!!

Just watched my first Rory Gallagher video on YouTube and liked it so much I watched it again and again and again ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs

strawforest007
07-11-2008, 09:59 AM
He's basically a superb musician. A very sad loss to the world. Youtube has brought up all kinds of gems of live performances and I'm thankful for that!

strawforest007
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Sorry if I'm bringing up a dead thread here (not intentional). I've only just fully read through this thread. It's great to hear that the Wheels album is liked as it didn't receive great reviews from critics or fans. I'm personally not a fond of it, but it's a crucial part of the collection. Lonesome Highway (and the Refraining part) is a favouite (someone here on UG has done a very good cover of it);

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/slashrules!!!/music/play275884
:liplick:

Some of you say that Gerry McAvoy's bass isn't great which,in fairness he isn't the greatest bassist, but, he is solid and that was the point of the Rory Gallagher Band I feel, as with the rest of the band,so that Rory was in the limelights playing all the fancy stuff. As for boring, I can see your point if you've listened to a lot of bootlegs from the same era (particularly the organ/piano [Lou Martin] and Rod De'Ath [brilliant name!] era) where the shows tended to get samey. The short-lived 71-72 trio line-up with the late Wilgar Campbell on drums is superb, as are his later and darker years (again back to just a trio passing through several drummers) from the late seventies until his sad passing.

If anyone wants advice on any Rory material I'll gladly help. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm simply obsessed. Finally, not to brag, but I've got that 3CD officially released bootleg set. :)

MOOSE_CCR99
01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Rorys one of the greatest players ever. Hes fiercly underated, but hes up there with the best of em. I dunno about you guys but thats a pretty tight band and Gerry McAvoys amazing (and the most fun bassist to watch EVER). Ive seen some interviews of him and hes so calm and polite even though he gets asked the worst questions ever he comes off like a really smart guy. Check out the Rory Gallagher live at the rockpalast DVD set, it shows a few of his preformances at the festival over the years along with those interviews I was talking about. In the 1990 show he jams with jack bruce on some tunes including politition. I highly recomend that DVD and any other live rory you can get your hands on (his studio stuffs amazing too but nothing outshines his live preformances).

johnny_tapia
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Love this - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

:D

Phill-Rock
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zW0yxUAVzwI&feature=related

Shadowplay :D Probably my favourite Rory song. Bad Penny is up there in the same league and style though.

urik
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Oooh Tatoo'd Lady and A Million Miles Away. Could someone top that kind of awesome?

Carswell98
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
^

I wonder who > both of those songs

strawforest007
02-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Depends on the version of the song. I Wonder Who - the Belfast '84 version. A Million Miles Away - just compare the studio and irish tour. He did occasionally play it as a three-piece after dismissing Lou Martin's keys from the band. Bad Penny - Montreux '85. It's difficult and futile trying to pick favourite Gallagher songs, particularly from live peformances due to the variety and vast amount of them over the years. Ever so many gems though. The acoustic slide version of Secret Agent on 'Me & My Guitar' with his National is sublime. OGWT versions of songs go without saying as do the Rockpalast performances. Personally I've always enjoyed most of his songs. Even his work with Taste isn't mentioned nearly enough. Same Old Story, Morning Sun, Sugar Mama. I could go on all day. I'm obsessed.

Carswell98
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Depends on the version of the song. I Wonder Who - the Belfast '84 version. A Million Miles Away - just compare the studio and irish tour. He did occasionally play it as a three-piece after dismissing Lou Martin's keys from the band. Bad Penny - Montreux '85. It's difficult and futile trying to pick favourite Gallagher songs, particularly from live peformances due to the variety and vast amount of them over the years. Ever so many gems though. The acoustic slide version of Secret Agent on 'Me & My Guitar' with his National is sublime. OGWT versions of songs go without saying as do the Rockpalast performances. Personally I've always enjoyed most of his songs. Even his work with Taste isn't mentioned nearly enough. Same Old Story, Morning Sun, Sugar Mama. I could go on all day. I'm obsessed.

actually that montreux version of bad penny is my favorite rory song ever

I always forget about taste, I don't even have anything by them I'm somewhat ashamed to admit :o

McShredder
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

You kidding me?! The bass solo in bullfrog blues is awesome!

Imperial Throg
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
What a guitarist that guy was.
First time I heard him its like- this is mind-blowing
I Fall Apart- what a song.
I'd say he's probably more rock(although blues rock) than blues and jazz though?

strawforest007
02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
What a guitarist that guy was.
First time I heard him its like- this is mind-blowing
I Fall Apart- what a song.
I'd say he's probably more rock(although blues rock) than blues and jazz though?

He's an in-between artist isn't he? I've heard rock people say he's a bit too bluesy for them and I've heard blues people say he's a bit too rock. Depends what your listening to. You could also put him in folk, pop and jazz (particularly the Taste material for the latter). His roots and the majority of his songs throughout his career have always been in the blues however so I think he's deservedly in this category.

I Fall Apart was one of his finest songwriting moments I'd say. Not a blueser but still.

(Edited) Cheers Ze

ze monsta
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I've heard blues people say he's a bit too bluesy for them and I've heard blues people say he's a bit too rock.

Re-read that and find the mistake. :p:

strawforest007
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
That's what quick typing gives you! You got the gist though.

ze monsta
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I read it as what you intended, but realised as I flicked back through the thread. :p:

wholelottabon
03-01-2009, 02:01 AM
he does have a very broad pallete of influence, moonchild kinda sounds like heavy metal(this is from memory i could be thinking of someone completely different and a completely different song)

and also i just found my new favourite thread

Carswell98
03-01-2009, 02:06 AM
So I finally got a couple Taste albums, it's a very different Rory, which is cool, especially in "On the Boards"

Jazz?

Sax Solos?

sweet :cool:

he does have a very broad pallete of influence, moonchild kinda sounds like heavy metal(this is from memory i could be thinking of someone completely different and a completely different song)

and also i just found my new favourite thread

yeah, I love that song, it does rock pretty hard for a Rory song

wholelottabon
03-01-2009, 02:13 AM
yeah did iron maiden cover it? or do they just have a song with the same name?
i think it has the 7th son of a 7th son thing in it but im not sure
never really listened to iron maiden but they were in the related links on youtube when i last listened to moonchild

Carswell98
03-01-2009, 02:19 AM
yeah did iron maiden cover it? or do they just have a song with the same name?
i think it has the 7th son of a 7th son thing in it but im not sure
never really listened to iron maiden but they were in the related links on youtube when i last listened to moonchild

speaking of Iron Maiden

listen to Moonchild

then listen to 2 minutes to midnight by Maiden :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjvPjxsgVBs&feature=related

wholelottabon
03-01-2009, 03:33 AM
speaking of Iron Maiden

listen to Moonchild

:eek:
dear god that intro is exactly the same as moonchild!
did they pay for it or what?

Carswell98
03-01-2009, 03:41 AM
:eek:
dear god that intro is exactly the same as moonchild!
did they pay for it or what?

I don't think so

wholelottabon
03-01-2009, 03:56 AM
I don't think so

those bastards!

anywho( i say anywho way too much....)

anybody know some song where rory plays mandolin?
all i can remember is hometown blues

strawforest007
03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
yeh, Goin' To My Hometown is the famous mandolin number he played. I can't think of any others yet, but I'm sure I know one or two, but they'd be live performances only. Moonchild is a heavy rock song. Quite a few of Rory's songs developed a harder edge in the late seventies/early eighties, especially when playing them live ('Stage Struck' album is the height of this): Bad Benny, Philby, Shadow Play, Follow Me, Wayward Child etc...

On the Boards is a classic album and credit to you Carswell for picking it up! I'll highly recommend the Taste Live at the Isle of Wight too. Rory's alto sax can also be heard in 'I Can't Believe It's True' in a lengthy solo (on Rory's first solo album). Brilliant!

I'm not up on my Maiden, but Moonchild is definitley not a cover.

wholelottabon
03-02-2009, 02:38 AM
yeah, the version of moonchild i was listening too was a live one, and he did look pretty ol in it so it could have been the late 70's
so is hometown blues the only one he plays mandolin blues in, cause i love his mandolin playing.
and (sorry for all the questions i dont have much of rory' studio work), does donal gallagher sing on the studio version of hometown blues? or is it just that one live version?

Carswell98
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I've been listening to him a lot since the whole moonchild thing, especially his late 70's stuff, Calling Card/Top Priority mostly

his solos are mindblowing, every time I listen I hear something new, Rory is up there with the very best of them

Besa-Moogie
03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I love Rory's work. My dad showed me him. I must say he is one of my favorites. My favorite song of his is A Million Miles Away and Bullfrog Blues. Great slide player too. Anything this man couldn't do.

wholelottabon
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
I love Rory's work. My dad showed me him. I must say he is one of my favorites. My favorite song of his is A Million Miles Away and Bullfrog Blues. Great slide player too. Anything this man couldn't do.

my favourites keep changing, at the moment mines calling card
what genre of blues is this, anyone know? For some reason i got the words noir-blues in my head and i cant remember if thats right or just a term somebody used

strawforest007
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Calling Card is a jazz-based blues. It only uses two chords and a key-change. Beautiful guitar work on it on a simple rhythm (the basis of many Rory songs). Well worth getting the BBC Sessions which has a live version of this song with incredible improvisation.

I can fully understand favourite Rory songs changing because his work varies (not in quality, but genre, instruments used and tones etc). His versatility and inventiveness becomes more apparent the more albums you get. Getting one album and saying he's not for you is the wrong approach for any artist but is particularly true for Rory albums.

I might as well add, if anyone has any rare Rory items they want to get rid of/ get some money for then I may well be interested. Having said that, there's not a lot more I can get!

Oh, for a good slide song (electric), check out 'Souped-up Ford' and 'Secret Agent'. For acoustic slide 'Pistol Slapper Blues' and 'Empire State Express' are good places to start!

R.I.P.Jimi
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I've got the Live at Montreaux cd, and i listened only to the first few tracks so far. but already, his soloing reminds me of jimmy page. seriously. the songs are much bluesier then (most of) Zeppelin. and his controlled use of feedback reminds of hendrix. i like what i've heard so far!

Bluestube
03-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh, for a good slide song (electric), check out 'Souped-up Ford' and 'Secret Agent'. For acoustic slide 'Pistol Slapper Blues' and 'Empire State Express' are good places to start!

Exept for the fact that he does not play slide on 'Pistol Slapper Blues'
for great acoustic slide check out the unplugged versions of 'Too Much Alcohol'

Imperial Throg
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
speaking of Iron Maiden

listen to Moonchild

Its not really the same, its just all these A key riffs with the fourths sound pretty similar- look at Power and the Glory by Saxon.
I thought Moonchild sounds an awful lot like Return of the King by Bruce Dickinson- the Maiden singer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUEzq0u4A-A

Angus~Young
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
He is the very reason I continue to learn to play the blues, by far the best guitar player this world will ever know. People talk about getting that chill run down your back when you listen to certain songs, bands etc....the hair on the back of my neck never fails to stand up every time I hear him hit a pinched harmonic and let that beautiful, beaten up old strat squeal

Zero-Hartman
03-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I bought Etched In Blue for $5 because I heard he was good. After listening to it I looked it up to find it's not a well known album, far from his best. Unless it's just re-recordings then I'm astonished. I need to delve deeper, deeper I say!

strawforest007
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeh that's a remastered compilation album released after his passing. You can pick up second hand CD's of his pretty cheap on the internet for the same price. Here's a list of the officially released compilations so you don't go get another (none of them are really worth getting apart from Big Guns which has a couple of previously unreleased live tracks)!

Rory compilation albums:

Edged in Blue (1992)
A Blue Day For The Blues (1995)
Etched In Blue (1998)
Big Guns, The Best Of.. (2005)
Live In Montreux (2007) (a collection of live tracks over several Montreux performances)
The Essential (2008)

Box-Set Compilations:

G-Men Volume One 3CD (1992) (Rory 'bootlegging the bootleggers' with this release)
Let's Go To Work 4CD (2001) (includes 4 remastered live albums)

A good place to cheaply start for a good selection of Rory albums is the '5 Classic Albums' released last year. Includes: Deuce, Calling Card, Top Priority, Jinx, Fresh Evidence. You should be able to get this (relatively easily) for less than £15, (approx $25?).

His live albums: 'Live! In Europe' (1972) and 'Irish Tour' (1974) are crucial to any Rory collection.

Zero-Hartman
03-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow, good value. Cheers for listing all that, I'll probably look out for it when I'm next in town. Irish Tour would be good I'm guessing :p:

strawforest007
03-12-2009, 08:21 PM
In a word; yes.

wholelottabon
03-18-2009, 05:00 AM
just bought the montreax dvd and all i can say is...................wow.

it is without a doubt some of the best recorded gigs i have ever seen, and some of the stuff he does in shadowplay is crazy! all the other song on the first disc he seems to kinda move like angus young except rory doesnt look as stupid running around

gibbfg
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM
to those questioning the bassist in earlier threads, i personally would say that gerry mcAvoy was possibly the best bassist to come out of Belfast, and is right up there with Phil Lynnot in my top Irish bassists.

Rory's a legend, shadowplay and a million miles away, two very different songs, and probably my favourite. if anybody ever sees footage of Rory playin the Ulster Hall in Belfast in....74 i think, maybe 76, theres a guy sitting on stage right below him...that's my uncle... :)

Besa-Moogie
03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah dad just bought a 3 dvd set of Rory. Yeah my favorites change all the time too. But 'A Million Miles Away' is one of those songs that every time I listen to it I still say wow, happens with a few other songs, like red house by jimi or voodoo chile (slight return) by srv. Just the way it goes I guess.

Punk_Ninja
08-20-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm surprised I haven't posted on this thread yet!
But I actually have an important reason to post, there's some big news for Roryfans!

The first artist impression of the eagerly awaited Rory Gallagher Statue Commemoration to be located in the Blues Guitarist Birthplace of Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal has been released. The Statue honouring Rory Gallagher has been commissioned

to the Scottish-based award winning Sculptor David Annand by Donegal County Council and the Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival Committee in Ballyshannon.

Chairperson and Founder of the Tribute Festival Barry O’Neill said this week that “its great to see the first sketch being released by the Sculptor – David Annand. His work with bronze is terrific and the fact that David engaged with Rory’s fans and family prior to the design was very satisfying for everybody involved. There will be a great sense of movement in the piece and I think it will really reflect Rory’s character both on and off the stage”.

Its 14 years since the untimely passing of the Guitar legend, but his loyal mass following are waiting in anticipation for the completion of the Full life-sized Bronze Statue that will be unveiled in Ballyshannon Town Centre on Wednesday 2nd June 2010 and that will also mark the commencement of the 5 day Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival 2010. Rory was born in Ballyshannon on March 2nd 1948 at the appropriately named Rock Hospital and the town hosts the celebrated Rory Tribute Festival each year with visitors from all over the World now making the trip annually with a 7,000 strong attendance making their way to Ballyshannon earlier this summer.

Mr. O'Neill said "the Statue will be a coming home of sorts for Rory and its a massive honour for him and his family who work tirelessly in keeping his music alive. The people of Ballyshannon and County Donegal are delighted in making the Bronze Statue a reality and we are looking forward to June 2010 and no doubt Sculptor David Annand from Scotland will do the occasion justice with a remarkable finished commemoration”.

As a sign of Rory’s continued popularity, the Rory Gallagher Best of Collection entitled “Crest of a Wave” will be released in North America by Eagle Rock Entertainment next Tuesday 25th August. Rory Gallagher is credited with bringing the electric guitar to prominence in Ireland, leading the way for bands like Thin Lizzy and U2. His battered Strat guitar - a 1961 model, which he bought in 1963 - is thought to be one of the first Fender Stratocaster guitars ever bought in Ireland.

"TL;DR", at next years Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival in Ballyshannon (his birthplace), there's going to be a bronze statue of Rory unveiled.

I was at the meeting which the mini-article claims " David engaged with Rory’s fans and family prior to the design"
This is a bit of exaggeration, at the 09 festival in may, there was a meeting about the sculpture which had Donal Gallagher (his brother) and whichever big fans weren't too hungover to come to it! :haha
It was a nice meeting but it was exactly engaging with Rory's fans and family as much as holding an open floored discussion where Donal showed up (which is why a lot of the fans showed up).

Anyway, an initial sketch has been shown, I think it's really good, the hair could be a lil' less "afro" but I like it:

http://file050b.bebo.com/15/large/2009/08/19/14/2432288552a11453114561l.jpg

From what the sculptist said at that meeting, the Statue is going to be life-sized, so people can "interact" with it so to speak (take pictures with it, "hug" it, etc), and a lot of the fans have made it clear that he MUST get the guitar to look right.

If anyone is going to the Ballyshannon festival next year to see the unveiling I'll see you there ;)

It's gonna be a six day festival opposed to the usual 3/4 days because of the unveiling.
Apparently they're trying to get as many people who worked with Rory to show up, which'll be great, however because of a disagreement between Donal Gallagher and Gerry McAvoy it might be hard to get both Donal AND the old band to show up :(